• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, Hamlet said:

It’s 6 years newer than those books.  

In 1980, ASM 50 had a mint value of $10, and ASM 122 was at $15.

In 1994 ASM 50 was at $250, and ASM 129 was at $325.

If you don't want to believe that 194 and 130 having the same 9.2 value 8 years ago reflects on how 194 stands among all of the issues, you are 100% welcome to have your opinion.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, let's not forget how big Carol Danvers was in the MCU, even much more so than this Felicia Hardy.  Especially she was big enogh to headline her own movie, with another one on the way and her character, Captain Marvel, deemed to be a key central figure in the MCU going forward.  (thumbsu

And yet her first appearance in MSH which used to sell for multiples to condition guide, with a second highest CGC 9.6 even selling into the $30K's, can now generally be had at a discount to condition guide.  So, not sure how things are going to turn out for Spidey 194 when there are so many hundreds of copies in uber HG already, especially in comparison to MSH 13 with single digit copies in uber HG and yet they still couldn't maintain their prices longer term.  (shrug)

Actually, the book which I see heading for a big big fall is the supposedly HTF, but in actual fact readily available variant edition of Ultimate Fallout 4, with CGC 9.8 graded copies selling for $30K+.  As I had alluded to in another post a few weeks ago:  hm

I didn’t have any idea who Carol Danvers was until the movie stuff started.

So what is the opinion of better purchase now;  1 copy  ASM 194 CGC 9.8 at 5K  or 2 copies of ASM 238 CGC 9.8 at 4800 total ?

238 in 2021 for while was a 5-6K book.  Now you can buy 2 for that amount with hundreds back in change.

To think ASM 194 won't follow a similar fall from grace is not realistic.   The time to purchase the book was prior to 2020 the time to sell the book is now before it sinks.  Of course I don't sell comics but if I did I'd sell it right now. Given  CGC slabbed 194 is currently ubiquitous on eBay seems others have that idea.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, MAR1979 said:

So what is the opinion of better purchase now;  1 copy  ASM 194 CGC 9.8 at 5K  or 2 copies of ASM 238 CGC 9.8 at 4800 total ?

238 in 2021 for while was a 5-6K book.  Now you can buy 2 for that amount with hundreds back in change.

It looks like only one 9.8 newsstand copy has ever made it to that level, and the next highest was $4,600.

I sold my 9.4 and 9.2 over 10 years ago, but I really love that cover in the newsstand version for some reason.

I wish I would have seen the white newsstand 9.6 qualified, due to "married tattoos", that sold for under $300 last year.

I would have been all over that bidding.

Maybe i'll just buy a 9.6 qualified copy to own.

the "tattoos" insanity never ceases to amaze me.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:00 PM, sledgehammer said:

It looks like only one 9.8 newsstand copy has ever made it to that level, and the next highest was $4,600.

I sold my 9.4 and 9.2 over 10 years ago, but I really love that cover in the newsstand version for some reason.

I wish I would have seen the white newsstand 9.6 qualified, due to "married tattoos", that sold for under $300 last year.

If I wanted an Uber HG copy of ASM 238 for my collection,  I would definitely take the discount and buy a green label with missing tattoos.  I’m amazed that the tats effect the price so much.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If I wanted an Uber HG copy of ASM 238 for my collection,  I would definitely take the discount and buy a green label with missing tattoos.  I’m amazed that the tats effect the price so much.

I do know that at least some issues of ASM238 and FF252 were missing the tattooz from the insert. meaning there were never placed into the insert in the first place.

It is joke but given CGC has cared about the tattooz themselves (I don't mean the paper insert) for 21 years there is no going back.

I do wonder if those in the Tatooz "head office" back then would have ever thought their product name lived on in certain circles 35 years after they went out of biz :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 1/6/2022 at 11:00 AM, sledgehammer said:

Expand  

Really? You'd rather have a high grade green than lower grade blue? I settled for a "newsstand" raw that I got on the fly (cheapish), and I never upgraded (came back 7.0), assuming the blue label would be an equalizer.

I was just curious the thoughts behind preferring a green?

On 1/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Really? You'd rather have a high grade green than lower grade blue? I settled for a "newsstand" raw that I got on the fly (cheapish), and I never upgraded (came back 7.0), assuming the blue label would be an equalizer.

In this case, I couldn't care less the tattoos are missing.

I don't feel the same way as if something was cut out of the comic.

I owned a green old label 9.4 for quite a while too.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:55 AM, sledgehammer said:

In this case, I couldn't care less the tattoos are missing.

I don't feel the same way as if something was cut out of the comic.

I owned a green old label 9.4 for quite a while too.

I owned a 9.2 restored label for a while, although I had to upgrade it to universal blue. lol 

I got lucky I didn't lose money on the restored, but didn't consider a qualified.....

I can see where your coming from though (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Rather have a pristine copy than one with a bunch of wear.  And if CGC didn’t note it, you’d have absolutely no idea they were missing.   Unless you want to apply them to your forehead, who cares if they’re in there or not?(shrug)

I’m talking about a copy for my PC.   

I’m the same way with HULk 181.  If I decide I want a nice copy for my PC,  I’ll take the discount.  Who cares about the value stamp?    Is it really worth the price difference? 

On 1/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Back to the topic at hand....

Any one that thinks Felicia Hardy is a bit part player in the Spidey universe obviously wasn’t reading Spidey books in the ‘80s.   Spidey and Black Cat are a hundred times more interesting than Peter & MJ.   Toss in the Kingpin , and you have dark drama.

I have an intense nostalgia for those Spectaculars from 70-100 or so.  I get that the art isn’t great, but I did really enjoy the stories.  I still pick them out of dollar boxes even though I have at least doubles on most of them.  Sadly, I had to buy a raw copy of 90 for a somewhat inflated price because people have suddenly decided that was a first black costume issue.  Talk about manufactured keys.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I have a really nice raw copy that is nice enough that I am afraid to actually read it these days.  I almost bought Dale’s copy in his sales thread just to have a reader.  

On 1/6/2022 at 2:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Back to the topic at hand....

Any one that thinks Felicia Hardy is a bit part player in the Spidey universe obviously wasn’t reading Spidey books in the ‘80s.   Spidey and Black Cat are a hundred times more interesting than Peter & MJ.   Toss in the Kingpin , and you have dark drama.

Assuming a minimum average reading of age 6 , then all who would read Spidey in say the last year of the 80's (1989) are now 38 years old. If they were reading Spidey in 1980 they now are at least 47 years old.  Not exactly a youthful crowd :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, Hamlet said:

Sadly, I had to buy a raw copy of 90 for a somewhat inflated price because people have suddenly decided that was a first black costume issue.  Talk about manufactured keys.

Same month as ASM252, it does surprise me it took that long for most to realize.

PPTSM 90 is my personal favorite Black Cat cover. I have my 2 childhood copies sitting in Sarasota since Sept. Perhaps I will receive them back this decade?

image.thumb.png.156f3b67b9e52bc61b52fb9f222859b1.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, MAR1979 said:

I do know that at least some issues of ASM238 and FF252 were missing the tattooz from the insert. meaning there were never placed into the insert in the first place.

It is joke but given CGC has cared about the tattooz themselves (I don't mean the paper insert) for 21 years there is no going back.

I do wonder if those in the Tatooz "head office' would think their product name lived on in certain circles 35 years after they went out of biz :)

@Hamlet and I have spoken several times about this and you're completely correct.  A very large number of books arrived on the stands without tatooz and then were demonized for not having them.  I know this because I had many friends that purchased copies and were super careful and worried about the insert when they purchased off the stands only to discover later that there were never tattoos in there to begin with.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

Same month as ASM252, it does surprise me it took that long for most to realize.

PPTSM 90 is my personal favorite Black Cat cover. I have my 2 childhood copies sitting in Sarasota since Sept. Perhaps I will receive them back this decade?

Sure, it’s the same month, but it’s not on the cover.  The black costume is just on the final page of the story.  The other two books have it on the cover and throughout the story.  It’s a pretty lame book to have to spend money on to complete a run, IMO. 

On 1/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, Hamlet said:

Sure, it’s the same month, but it’s not on the cover.  The black costume is just on the final page of the story.  The other two books have it on the cover and throughout the story.  It’s a pretty lame book to have to spend money on to complete a run, IMO. 

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
Spectacular Spider-Man 90 (5/84, Marvel Comics)
            1st black costume in title. Black Cat appearance. Vision & Scarlet Witch cameo.
Universal 1,056 9.19     209 261 199 131 93 56 44 22 10 10 11 5 3   1         1  

I do wonder if the Scarlett Witch and Vision cameo has also contributed a tiny bit?  Also due to the black cover it's condition sensitive. Census pop in 9.8 is very "low" when compared to ASM252 (or ASM194 :shiftyeyes:)

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, Hamlet said:

Other than the bold part, which isn't quite true, (thumbsu