• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2021 at 3:25 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Other results that raised my interest but haven’t been discussed on this thread include the Marshall Law cover for $50K, and the Mazz DD page for $33K.  The DD page is the third page from issue #233 to sell this year, and makes me wonder if somebody is methodically breaking up the issue piecemeal 🤔

Original Comic Art:Covers, Kevin O'Neill Marshal Law: Cloak of Evil Cover Original Art (Titan Books, 2003)....

The Marshall Law interior, which was a partial splash, blew past my number as well. Thought for sure I was going home with it...

I was a little surprised tonight when a page from Phantom Stranger issue 4 just sold for $3,360 including BP. Neal Adams’ pencils and Bill Draut’s inks on a page containing the very first appearance of Tala with a good half splash. While she isn’t exactly in Kingpin’s class, she has shown up in a number of supernatural books and in animation. Definitely more street cred than, say, the Polka-dot Man. Someone has also been trying to sell the very next page for years for $5,000. Someone got a good buy (not me, I have other fish to fry).

On 9/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, batman_fan said:

Am I the only one surprised by the relatively weak OA in HA’s November auction?  So far nothing exciting, even the Peanuts dailies are leaving me with a don’t care attitude, except of course for the Spike one. :insane:

Time for a new thread!

On 9/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, batman_fan said:

Am I the only one surprised by the relatively weak OA in HA’s November auction?  So far nothing exciting, even the Peanuts dailies are leaving me with a don’t care attitude, except of course for the Spike one. :insane:

I think they will post the big guns shortly…they probably don’t want to take away focus from the Oct International OA auction

I bought a PCR Clea in the last HA, bought a PCR kickstarter OA reward and am salivating at a few things upcoming. 

I moved over to comics/slabs for a while (it started as a way to generate art cash but somehow the koolaid got drunk), but I am sitting here looking at the comics and looking at the art offerings and I see a few things I like. I was on a AF15 hunt, but short of that coming up I am buying some more art.

So get outta my way!

seinfeld-im-back.gif

also, one of the strips is my day of birth strip...so yeah. I already collect birthday strips and have about 5 but this one from the day I was born would be groovy! I have a 1966 already but it is Bringing Up Father so getting something more in my wheelhouse would be groovier still :luhv:

the strip in question is mislabeled, it is 1965 not 1966 so I am not interested as odd as that seems

Edited by Bird

On 9/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, Bird said:

also, one of the strips is my day of birth strip...so yeah. I already collect birthday strips and have about 5 but this one from the day I was born would be groovy! I have a 1966 already but it is Bringing Up Father so getting something more in my wheelhouse would be groovier still :luhv:

I see several 11/29 strips for sale on CAF!

On 9/13/2021 at 1:11 PM, batman_fan said:

Yes, I am still trying to clean up the mess I made all over myself when I saw it hammer (thank god for power washers!).  I thought over $100k was possible but more $120k not $360k.  It was a special case Sunday with an iconic speech by Linus but wow.

It's about the iconic speech that was a pivotal moment in the iconic Christmas Special which is remembered by nearly everyone including those with megachurches and private jets.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Bird said:

there are two more substantial pieces I really can't get out of my mind though...the birthday stuff is auxiliary even if I am not using that word correctly

well, didn't get it done on the Moebius Hendrix package/doodle...always the underbidder and never the bride. Looks like the winner and I took it from about $2K to $4K...it takes two to tango but I prefer to lead.

Edited by Bird
I put in a bid on one of the toppi but lost my enthusiasm, so off to paint the laundry room!

On 10/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, Bird said:

well, didn't get it done on the Moebius Hendrix package/doodle...always the underbidder and never the bride. Looks like the winner and I took it from about $2K to $4K...it takes two to tango but I prefer to lead.

Brides aren’t always worth what you end up paying for them. 

On 10/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Brides aren’t always worth what you end up paying for them. 

well, Hendrix IS right handed in the drawing :whatthe:

Underbidder on the Toppi from 1977 as well, looks like maybe I lost to a cut bid even!

I'm not back. :tonofbricks:

Edited by Bird

If the Heritage International Art & Anime auction is any indication, prices are not softening. 

Some stunning prices on the Don Rosa pieces.  Wasn't paying that much attention to many other pieces, but there were no bargains among those that I was following either.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, tth2 said:

If the Heritage International Art & Anime auction is any indication, prices are not softening. 

Some stunning prices on the Don Rosa pieces.  Wasn't paying that much attention to many other pieces, but there were no bargains among those that I was following either.

Well, now I'll have to check how they did!   I love Rosa, but the blank word bubbles were such a turn off for me personally.    The US 285 cover must have gone for a ton... I figured I wasn't going to be willing/able to write the check for that one.    Off to see how they did!

On 10/2/2021 at 6:53 PM, tth2 said:

Was tracking the Rosa pieces too and they went for way more than I expected. A few other comic items I was tracking (with juice)

J. Buscema Thor 242 P. 27 - $4.5k

Byrne Uncanny X-Men 122 p. 6 - $35k

Eisner Contract With God p. 53 - $5.5k

Moebius John Difool 2 p. 46 - $13.7k 

Lauffray Star Wars Heir to the Empire 1 painted cover - $143.75k (1st Thrawn which everyone is expecting to show up in the SW cinematic universe soon)

Mac Raboy Flash Gordon 1963 Sunday - $2.75k

On 10/4/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bronty said:

I love Rosa, but the blank word bubbles were such a turn off for me personally.

Agreed.  I was hoping that they'd be a turn off for others too, but apparently not.  I guess collectors would just put acetate over the art with the word balloons filled in.