• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

Mentioned some of the sales results to fellow collectors, and they had completely forgotten about the lots closing today.

I know the Sandman promo would have gone for more if one of the guys remembered to bid on it.  :roflmao:

Still, as strong as the OA prices seemed to be, the comic book prices were insane...$150K for an Xmen 1 in 8.5 is :screwy:

On 9/8/2021 at 2:36 PM, stinkininkin said:

Biggest surprise of today? Has to be the Golden What If cover, yes? (terrific piece by the way)

Agree with you, Scott. It's an awesome, memorable cover -- one of my favorites from the original What If? run. But that price is bonkers.

I guess Bechara will be bumping up his ask for the What If? #1 cover now :)

The Calvin and Hobbes strip, in spite of fading inks, sold at $132K. I took a bit of grief but did predict that would still happen. Love that strip.

The Avengers cover by Sal Buscema obviously got the INGSOC treatment thought it would break $100k but sold at $78k.

FF Kirby $480K nothing to sneeze at.

The Ditko 18 was a fine example of ASM and I thought it had a lot  going for it on the page to seduce $156k. It’s also one of the very best memorable stories of the first few years if that nostalgia had any pull on the bid button.

Should stay heated all the way through. Great time to sell.

On 9/9/2021 at 2:32 AM, stinkininkin said:
On 9/4/2021 at 5:01 AM, stinkininkin said:

Either this auction heralds the price correction on OA that some folks have been waiting for, or there is going to last second fireworks when the live bidding starts. Prices are still extremely low.

Well, today answers my question. Sheesh!

As if there were ever any doubts.

Quick Heritage question for you all. I'm not sure they do this with the comic OA (or at least the ones I'm looking at) but for some of the Men's Adventure Magazine art or Illustration art I've looked at why do some of the pieces start off with an inaugural baseline bid from Heritage? If they estimate something at the $2,000-$3,000 range the auction will roll out with the piece already at $1,000 before someone actually bid on it.  Maybe that's sour grapes on my end just looking for a deal, but it seems kind of crazy and a bit unfair to the potential bidder...

On 9/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Mentioned some of the sales results to fellow collectors, and they had completely forgotten about the lots closing today.

I know the Sandman promo would have gone for more if one of the guys remembered to bid on it.  :roflmao:

Still, as strong as the OA prices seemed to be, the comic book prices were insane...$150K for an Xmen 1 in 8.5 is :screwy:

Yeah, I don't think timing having prime lots end on a Wednesday is optimal timing lol. I got blown out on that Sandman promo page; whoever won it at the $96k got it at a good price IMO

On 9/9/2021 at 6:25 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Quick Heritage question for you all. I'm not sure they do this with the comic OA (or at least the ones I'm looking at) but for some of the Men's Adventure Magazine art or Illustration art I've looked at why do some of the pieces start off with an inaugural baseline bid from Heritage? If they estimate something at the $2,000-$3,000 range the auction will roll out with the piece already at $1,000 before someone actually bid on it.  Maybe that's sour grapes on my end just looking for a deal, but it seems kind of crazy and a bit unfair to the potential bidder...

I was looking at those lots myself. The min BP is also 49 dollars vs 19 for comic art and the rate is 25% vs 20% for comic art. Not sure why illustration art has a different format. I assume the market is thinner so consignors want more reserves, higher min/opening bids, and HA wants a bigger piece of the pie for the effort. 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:40 PM, cstojano said:

I was looking at those lots myself. The min BP is also 49 dollars vs 19 for comic art and the rate is 25% vs 20% for comic art. Not sure why illustration art has a different format. I assume the market is thinner so consignors want more reserves, higher min/opening bids, and HA wants a bigger piece of the pie for the effort. 

Illustrated Art follows Heritage's art auction policies, which are different from Heritage's comic auction policies, which comic art falls under.

Comic auctions are actually unusual in that they all start at $1 and most don't have reserves.  This is not the way auctions of many other items are run.   

I never cared for the John Buscema Surfer recreations. I did however think he put enormous detail into this larger size Surfer 1 and apparently that was enough for the bidders.

$57,600

That's 3x what the owner of the actual original cover SS 1 paid twenty years ago. Very healthy bidding again today.

In a frame that's going to be a very impressive display of art work at 19x28.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, grapeape said:

I never cared for the John Buscema Surfer recreations. I did however think he put enormous detail into this larger size Surfer 1 and apparently that was enough for the bidders.

$57,600

That's 3x what the owner of the actual original cover SS 1 paid twenty years ago. Very healthy bidding again today.

In a frame that's going to be a very impressive display of art work at 19x28.

I have a normal size SS#1 recreation 1/3 the size, does that mean mine is worth $20K?  :flipbait: