• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, dspair said:

Uh…$108k for the Byrne X-men panel page!  

E1D7E44E-F292-42C0-A2BE-D9D2919A9D93.thumb.png.ec9c6da338fd521e02e7821fe221dcd9.png

Gratz to Rob Liefeld! (I assume. He has been picking up as many Byrne/Austin pages as he can.)

Did my ears deceive me, or on the Gibbons Watchmen page, did the auctioneer challenge, "Rob Liefeld, I know you're out there"?  I'm seeing some different auctioneers this time than usual.

Edited by RBerman

On 9/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, RBerman said:

Gratz to Rob Liefeld! (I assume. He has been picking up as many Byrne/Austin pages as he can.)

Did my ears deceive me, or on the Gibbons Watchmen page, did the auctioneer challenge, "Rob Liefeld, I know you're out there"?  I'm seeing some different auctioneers this time than usual.

It wasn’t him. He just posted on FB that he didn’t bid on this or the Iron Fist page, as he got the page he wanted last week.  He was happy that Byrne prices are going up though!

On 9/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, grapeape said:

That is probably an astute observation my friend. 

It's a great example and the size is amazing but that is just a crazy price for the recreation. Especially since it wasn't the original inker. Anyone know if Joe Sinnott ever recreated that cover?

On 9/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, Brian Peck said:

It's a great example and the size is amazing but that is just a crazy price for the recreation. Especially since it wasn't the original inker. Anyone know if Joe Sinnott ever recreated that cover?

Not as crazy a price for a recreation as you may think.

back in 2011, Romita Sr’s recreation of asm 100 sold on HA.  It was 13.5x20 and sold for  over $77K.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:49 AM, dspair said:

Uh…$108k for the Byrne X-men panel page!  

E1D7E44E-F292-42C0-A2BE-D9D2919A9D93.thumb.png.ec9c6da338fd521e02e7821fe221dcd9.png

Really pissed about this one to be honest.  I passed the last time it was for sale and took a new liking to it (I had recently bought another page from the book).  I bid, but not that high.  Still looking for a few other pages from that or the previous issue.  Oh well, congrats to whomever is the new owner (unless you thought you were going to flip it to Rob).

On 9/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, grapeape said:

$60,000 peanuts  poured out from the piggy bank. I certainly will never get one of these.:golfclap:Congratulations to the trigger puller!

$360,000 for the Sunday page! (worship)

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F8%2F24328098%5D%2Csizedata%5B225x225%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5DOriginal Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Charles Schulz Peanuts Daily Comic Strip Kite-Eating Tree Original Art dated 4-17-1956 (Unit...

I got blown out on the Kite Tree daily.  I was in in the $30k range but got blown away

Loved that Sunday but had no idea it would go up that high.  It is iconic and at least two other people agreed.

I really wanted the 1970 Sunday but once it crossed the $40k point I was out.

In general I thought the Schulz items were pretty strong and I may be at a place where I need to be content with what I already own.  I now wish I went harder for the Dinosaur Frazetta loose painting, $10k seems real cheap right now :cry: 

Edited by batman_fan

On 9/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Star Wars cover = $60.

george, was that you???

Pretty hefty price for a later in the run cover.  I believe maybe 8-9 years ago a Donnelly Bro won it on eBay for around $7,000 ish.  I think they sold it since then, so I don't believe they consigned it.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, grapeape said:

I never cared for the John Buscema Surfer recreations. I did however think he put enormous detail into this larger size Surfer 1 and apparently that was enough for the bidders.

$57,600

That's 3x what the owner of the actual original cover SS 1 paid twenty years ago. Very healthy bidding again today.

In a frame that's going to be a very impressive display of art work at 19x28.

Halperin paid 40k+ for the surfer 1 cover back in 2002 iirc