• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

you guys made me look and I am quite surprised at the low bids. But a week is a long time I guess. I put in a few bids and am now watching about 20 items...I am in the mood for a purchase because one or two were right in my sweet spot, and I haven't been too active as of late.

some good stuff

The whole "Price Discovery" thing seems to be mainly a Comic Art thing, no? I don't follow too many other collectibles, but on the occasions where I have taken a peek (Illustration, Cards, Coins) it seems like people don't put in early bids (I'm talking 3 weeks early early).  Can anyone else weigh in?

Hopefully Gene will chime in since he’s the most vocal proponent of that, but I think price discovery would be more relevant in situations or to users where lots are lumpy.    Eg you like two items and you expect either one to be 75% of your budget.    

The fact pattern should be more important than the item; ie rare or one of a kind items where the bidder can’t afford everything he has his eye on. 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Bronty said:

Hopefully Gene will chime in since he’s the most vocal proponent of that, but I think price discovery would be more relevant in situations or to users where lots are lumpy.    Eg you like two items and you expect either one to be 75% of your budget.    

The fact pattern should be more important than the item; ie rare or one of a kind items where the bidder can’t afford everything he has his eye on. 

Or this. (thumbsu 

On 9/8/2021 at 11:05 AM, delekkerste said:

The more commoditized a market is, the less need there is to bid early, because people probably have a good general idea of where a Giant-Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 or a 1963 Topps Sandy Koufax PSA 8 is going to sell for.  It's only when (a) prices are more unknown *and* (people keep forgetting this part), crucially, (b) you have a fixed budget, can it *sometimes* be in your best interest to accelerate the price discovery process to glean actionable information on how to best allocate your bids. On the other hand, f you are someone who is a whale with a near-unlimited budget, it is never going to be in your best interest to bid early and tip your hand.  Should be obvious, but some people keep thinking whales who don't tip their hand and win everything in sight are somehow proof that one should never bid early on an auction, when they clearly fail the conditions laid out above.  

I think placing an early, high bid could result in overall higher pricing because it could let people who really want a piece reassess their finances and increase their max. Your (b) works best if the item is not a top of the line piece.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I think placing an early, high bid could result in overall higher pricing because it could let people who really want a piece reassess their finances and increase their max. Your (b) works best if the item is not a top of the line piece.

Just to be clear...no part of the strategy involves sticking in a high bid early.  In fact, doing so could very well leave you tied up bidding on a piece and leaving you with *less* bidding flexibility than you had before. 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:37 PM, Timely said:

I think they are on par with each other.

Both Sandman & Kraven are A- to B+ villains.

The ASM #34 page had the cover image which was nice.  It is also a full battle page!

This page has the 1/3rd splash at the bottom which is great.  It isn't easy to find those 1/3rd Spider-Man Ditko splashes, ESPECIALLY on a full battle page! You also get sound effects on every panel! WHUMP! WHAM! THUD! BAM! POW!

What more could ya ask for I tells ya!?!

It even has a great political joke of the time thrown in.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, G G ® ™ said:

It even has a great political joke of the time thrown in.

As I was saying, the ASM #18 Sandman page in this auction & the ASM #34 Kraven page that sold last round are on par... and the bidders agreed! Sold for $156k.