• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, rob_react said:

I haven't checked, somehow, is this one of the upgrades or is this the old million dollar copy? 

This copy was graded on November 2, 2011. the first 9.4 to disappear from the census happened on the November 14, 2011 update.

Looking at the HA scan though, it appears to every bit deserve its grade.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, Crowzilla said:

This copy was graded on November 2, 2011. the first 9.4 to disappear from the census happened on the November 14, 2011 update.

Looking at the HA scan though, it appears to every bit deserve its grade.

Thanks!

On 7/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok, can now confirm that yeah, the cap was at some point removed and it is indeed unlimited now. So wow, in the past where if you sent in let’s say a 2 mil book there was the $5K cap. Now that’s going to cost $60K. Granted it would be slightly less with one of the memberships that save you a small percentage on grading fees. Will still be like $50K or more though in this scenario.

In lieu of the competition between the grading-houses (symbolical as well as quantitative on marketshares) it would probably be quite naive to believe, that you would have to pay 50K to get your 2 mill Tec 27 graded. The auction houses are probably very eager, to get their specific grading trademark tied to the extremely rare mega grails in the hobby. So I say that the owner of a such tec book has the upper hand - not CGC. In due time I predict, that the CGC will pay the owner of a such book to grade and holder it with the CGC certification-trademark. Not the other way around. For CGC to grade a mega grail is 15 minutes of work for them. And when scans of a such CGC'ed mega grail afterwards starts circulating on social media, auctions houses, hearsay etc. it carries a huge symbolical vaue for the grading house in question. It is a huge exposure of their grading-brand as it is tied to the most cherished books. This is simply a hugely effective way - symbolically - to dominate the competitors. 

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 8/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, Mr bla bla said:

In due time I predict, that the CGC will pay the owner of a such book to grade and holder it with the CGC certification-trademark.

Not sure CGC would pay to holder but at least a freebie would certainly be viable. Reasons you mention would justify that in itself.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, Mr bla bla said:

In due time I predict, that the CGC will pay the owner of a such book to grade and holder it with the CGC certification-trademark.

Not sure CGC would pay to holder but at least a freebie would certainly be viable. Reasons you mention would justify that in itself.

Boy I bet the owner of the 8.0 Action 1 and Church Tec 27 is kicking himself right now! 

If only he had waited for the guys at CGC to smoke the same crack you guys seem to be smoking, he could've saved himself a lot of grading fees!

On 8/5/2021 at 3:35 PM, tth2 said:

Boy I bet the owner of the 8.0 Action 1 and Church Tec 27 is kicking himself right now! 

If only he had waited for the guys at CGC to smoke the same crack you guys seem to be smoking, he could've saved himself a lot of grading fees!

Lets assume theoretically, that the truly superior, unicorn mega grails at some point are all graded by CGC, - what kind of signal do you think that sends to the marketplace and the hobby? Have you any idea what that kind of signal is worth for a brand in terms of marketing, visibility, growth, prestige, etc.? I guess not ...

On 8/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Lets assume theoretically, that the truly superior, unicorn mega grails at some point are all graded by CGC, - what kind of signal do you think that sends to the marketplace and the hobby? Have you any idea what that kind of signal is worth for a brand in terms of marketing, visibility, growth, prestige, etc.? I guess not ...

You only seem to be looking at it from the grading co's POV.

The owner doesn't give AF about the grading co's brand.   They just want whatever label is going to get them the most money.    Right now that's CGC.    So, realistically, what are the owner's options?    Get it graded with CGC (and sure, maybe CGC gives them a freebie) and make more money when they sell, or get it graded with someone else and make less?   The owner has no realistic options and no leverage.

For example, putting the MH Action 1 in a PGX slab doesn't enhance PGX's image.   It makes people wonder WTF is wrong with the book that the dentist went to PGX with it!

At the end of the day the owners of the mega grails and CGC need each other so long as CGC labels get the most money in marketplace.

You're trying to make this about brand.   Its more about leverage.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, tth2 said:

Can you name a single major slabbed book that was NOT graded by CGC?

If the Dentist slabbed the Church Action 1 with the competition, the universal reaction of the hobby would be "What's wrong with the Church Action 1?"

CGC are already far and away the leader in their business.  They have what in anti-trust parlance is known as dominant market share.  Why would they start giving away their product to beat out an opponent who has a small fraction of the market? 

Dammit Tim thx for stealing my thunder! :cry:

On 8/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Gotham Kid said:

15281207%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

That's a great example of what Tim already pointed out.  When that book dropped people immediately said it was overgraded, they should have gone with CGC, CBCS affected the sale price, etc.  

On 8/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, buttock said:

That's a great example of what Tim already pointed out.  When that book dropped people immediately said it was overgraded, they should have gone with CGC, CBCS affected the sale price, etc.  

(thumbsu

Plus it's not really a major book. 

It's not a cheap book, and I certainly wouldn't throw it to the curb, but it's not in the same conversation with the Action 1s, Tec 27s, Superman 1s, etc.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Bronty said:

You only seem to be looking at it from the grading co's POV.

The owner doesn't give AF about the grading co's brand.   They just want whatever label is going to get them the most money.    Right now that's CGC.    So, realistically, what are the owner's options?    Get it graded with CGC (and sure, maybe CGC gives them a freebie) and make more money when they sell, or get it graded with someone else and make less?   The owner has no realistic options and no leverage.

For example, putting the MH Action 1 in a PGX slab doesn't enhance PGX's image.   It makes people wonder WTF is wrong with the book that the dentist went to PGX with it!

At the end of the day the owners of the mega grails and CGC need each other so long as CGC labels get the most money in marketplace.

You're trying to make this about brand.   Its more about leverage.

Its not true that owners of unicorn books have no leverage. Above I have described that leverage. And I predict a scenario, where the grading houses will compete to tie their specific brand to the supreme aura of the very best unicorn books in the hobby. They will come to offer free grading for these books. Definitely Not out of generosity, but based in the necessity, that the competitor doesnt stamp his brand on that church action 1 or whatever.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, Chicago Boy said:

CBCS has Action 1's and Tec 27's on their population report.  Personally I would have no problem paying market price for one of those two if it was certified by them.  I trust them and CGC the same when it comes to grading and checking for restoration.  No one else But those two I definitely do.

Every time another voldemort Tec 27 ticks into the census its a knee in the nuts for Blackstone. But They know what needs to be done. And that fight to attract those books will spiral down towards free slabbing for the few rarefied unicorn grails. Its really not rocket science ...

On 8/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Its not true that owners of unicorn books have no leverage. Above I have described that leverage. And I predict a scenario, where the grading houses will compete to tie their specific brand to the supreme aura of the very best unicorn books in the hobby. They will come to offer free grading for these books. Definitely Not out of generosity, but based in the necessity, that the competitor doesnt stamp his brand on that church action 1 or whatever.

I'll share your speculation & prediction with my friends who have had to pay full price for getting their megabooks graded.  I'm sure CGC will be willing to provide a refund.  

On 8/5/2021 at 5:36 PM, buttock said:

I'll share your speculation & prediction with my friends who have had to pay full price for getting their megabooks graded.  I'm sure CGC will be willing to provide a refund.  

off course I could be wrong 😎

On 8/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, Mr bla bla said:

On 8/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, buttock said:

Some leverage? Sure.  Free grading? I don't think so.