• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 8:06 AM, Chicago Boy said:

CBCS has Action 1's and Tec 27's on their population report.  Personally I would have no problem paying market price for one of those two if it was certified by them.  I trust them and CGC the same when it comes to grading and checking for restoration.  No one else But those two I definitely do.

1% max....there is no real competition on the mega keys especially since the GA market has exploded. The auction house will cover the fees whether its 5K or 50K. The higher the book both price wise and rarity and demand, the more CGC dominates. I think if Steve had kept the company and it was not part of another big company it might been given the attention needed to become a real competitor. As CGC expands, and gets bigger and better, the other guy will be farther and father behind such that the company will be an after thought if you own a great GA book. 

The $$$ of the CGC top 100 sales especially on Ha or CC is amazing. Look for some type of consolidation between the competitors when the other guy is most weak and with Blackstone money they could certainly just write a check.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:13 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Has Beckett helped CBCS in anyway that you can think of ?  I can't 

I had heard there was a supposed issue as to whether CBCS would continue to operate without their purchase, so I suppose they did keep it in existence. Now whether the current owners has as much skill as Blackstone in asset management and  for sure not as much resources either there is no contest, I see CCG growing and evolving into even greater market share. Blackstone's purchase is CBCS worst nightmare. They could never beat them before, but now they really no chance resource wise.

Watch Beckett to either be purchased or for them to spin off CBCS....the only buyer I think would be CC or possibly CL..that would be the only way they really could compete. Having a major auction house  offer " free" grading from their in house company might add market share to that auction house.  I know at some point Ha or the owner's of Ha had some ownership interest in CGC as well as possibly CC. So, if they still do, they would be out as for purchase or merger. I think the best possibly would be a direct sale to CGC to consolidate market share.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, Mmehdy said:

I had heard there was a supposed issue as to whether CBCS would continue to operate without their purchase, so I suppose they did keep it in existence. Now whether the current owners has as much skill as Blackstone in asset management and  for sure not as much resources either there is no contest, I see CCG growing and evolving into even greater market share. Blackstone's purchase is CBCS worst nightmare. They could never beat them before, but now they really no chance resource wise.

Watch Beckett to either be purchased or for them to spin off CBCS....the only buyer I think would be CC or possibly CL..that would be the only way they really could compete. Having a major auction house  offer " free" grading from their in house company might add market share to that auction house.  I know at some point Ha or the owner's of Ha had some ownership interest in CGC as well as possibly CC. So, if they still do, they would be out as for purchase or merger. I think the best possibly would be a direct sale to CGC to consolidate market share.

Interesting. Thanks 

On 8/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Its not true that owners of unicorn books have no leverage. Above I have described that leverage. And I predict a scenario, where the grading houses will compete to tie their specific brand to the supreme aura of the very best unicorn books in the hobby. They will come to offer free grading for these books. Definitely Not out of generosity, but based in the necessity, that the competitor doesnt stamp his brand on that church action 1 or whatever.

So when selling your house, I guess you plan on using the 1% fee realty?   Sure, they got you 300k less for your house, but you showed ‘em by saving that 20 grand! 

Edited by Bronty

On 8/6/2021 at 7:20 AM, Bronty said:

So when selling your house, I guess you plan on using the 1% fee realty?   Sure, they got you 300k less for your house, but you showed ‘em by saving that 20 grand! 

It is amazing how many people in this world are penny wise and pound foolish.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:33 PM, tth2 said:
On 8/5/2021 at 6:20 PM, Bronty said:

It is amazing how many people in this world are penny wise and pound foolish.

giphy-3.gif.4449a51dfbc5743c355b24cce9c164b5.gif

On 8/6/2021 at 1:20 AM, Bronty said:

Your post exemplify what im trying to counter here. Your premise is: the grading label and grading brand decides the value of your action 1. If your tec 27 doesnt have this or that label from this or that grading house, your wont get your price.

I posit: that increasingly your action 1 will sell itself. And the grading houses will as a consequence chase the possibility to holder those few books which transcend the hobby.

The grading houses will have to reckon that people increasingly buy the book not the grading label or brand.

Anyone can posit anything and hey they might even be right once in a while .      But there is nothing happening in the marketplace currently that supports what you’re saying.    I would argue the opposite - with prices rising people want the label they are comfortable with more than ever.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, Aman619 said:

wow.  such wild speculation... based on what info?  You think CC would offer free grading under their 10 or even 15% commission?  After investing to purchase CBCS, and take over the overhead... really?? Then take their auction income that pays for CCs overhead, and use whats left (IF ANY) to keep their new FREE grading company going?  I'll have what you're smoking tonight!  Dont bogart that joint, m man!

Don't forget that Mitch's first action upon becoming CC's CEO would be to consign all of their books to Heritage. 

On 8/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, Mr bla bla said:

I posit: that increasingly your action 1 will sell itself.

Of course an Action 1 will sell.  Considering that individual pages, frankencopies, and now a piece of a cover with #1, will sell, there's no question that any copy of Action 1 will sell, raw or slabbed, and regardless of which company did the slabbing. 

That's not the issue.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, tth2 said:

That's not the issue.

It's about turnaround.

If CGC picks up much more business they'll soon be losing more business. I love CGC, but I know people who are switching because books lose steam after a 6 month wait. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's about turnaround.

If CGC picks up much more business they'll soon be losing more business. I love CGC, but I know people who are switching because books lose steam after a 6 month wait. GOD BLESS...

At which point the other guys will be just as busy

On 8/6/2021 at 11:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

It's about turnaround.

I don't think turnaround time is an issue when submitting an Action 1 or Tec 27.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:35 AM, tth2 said:

I don't think turnaround time is an issue when submitting an Action 1 or Tec 27.

It will be when we are discussing market confidence and that sort of thing. There was a time when the coin grading branch of CGC was the clear industry leader. That is no longer the case. GOD BLESS...

On 8/6/2021 at 2:26 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I don't think an Action Comics 1 CGC would sell for any more than an Action 1 CBCS.  I can understand the argument for highest graded but anything below that I don't think there is a difference between the companies. 

This ...