• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us what's on your Bookshelf!
3 3

309 posts in this topic

Really great selection of books! You've given me reason to head to Stuart Ng's shop out here and look for some of that material. I love the diversity of your collection. I didn't notice any American artists from the Ashcan school, John Sloan etc.they are some of my favorites.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, PopKulture said:

Your library is insane, and its breadth is inspiring. Having moved tons of my own books recently, I do hope yours are staying put, as it would require a Herculean effort to move and reassemble such holdings.  hm

I move and reassemble all the time - but metres rather than kilometres! [To ease the boredom of lockdown, I finally decided it was time to rationalize my three rooms, in which so many books and bookcases had accumulated I could scarcely move around. Played around with little diagrams and tape measures for weeks looking for creative solutions to intractable problems. Then the logistics of moving everything. At one point I found myself jammed into a corner of the corridor surrounded by, well, just about everything. Barely got out of the logjam. And found better solutions on the fly. The exhilaration of problem solving coupled with physical effort. Indiana Jones of the bookshelves.]

I'm conscious this may be the most boring post I've ever made, which is going some - but am curious to know if any of you can relate?!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 9/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, Yorick said:

@Flex Mentallo have you heard of the Daniel Maghen gallery?  I've discovered some really wonderful Euro artists just browsing their online listings.

You know, I am not sure that I had known of that particular gallery, though I have hazy recollections that might be of one or two others - but sadly, no links.  Just found the web site. Very interesting!

This might be of interest - if you don't know it already!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/european-comix-t12207.html

Here are some of the Humanoids Press livres I have - they can be a challenge especially OOP in hardback, and in English translations - but that's the fun! These were my collecting focus for a while... [pics sourced from the internet -I'm too lazy to dig mine out]

These are multiple editions of Jodorowsky's Moebius and I have several. This version is over 40 cm tall.

Incal 1 The Black Incal.jpg

Incal 2 The Luminous Incal.jpg

Incal 3 What is Above.jpg

Incal 4 What Lies Beneath.jpg

Incal 5 The Fifth Essence Part One.jpg

Incal 6 The Fifth Essence Part Two.jpg

Final Incal.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Really great selection of books! You've given me reason to head to Stuart Ng's shop out here and look for some of that material. I love the diversity of your collection. I didn't notice any American artists from the Ashcan school, John Sloan etc.they are some of my favorites.

Stuart Ng can be very expensive - but he does have some interesting stuff!

I dont have anything on the Ashcan School, though as an art student years ago I did take inspiration from them - especially George Bellows. I do have several shelves of American artists - from Thomas Cole to Cindy Sherman, Abstract Expressionism to Photorealism. If I had space and adequate resources, I'd include a lot more, but I've had to be ruthless.

The closest I have is a monograph on Reginald Marsh [Sloane was his teacher.]

Swing Time Reginald Marsh and Thirties New York.jpg

On 9/2/2021 at 12:34 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

You know, I am not sure that I had known of that particular gallery, though I have hazy recollections that might be of one or two others - but sadly, no links.  Just found the web site. Very interesting!

This might be of interest - if you don't know it already!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/european-comix-t12207.html

That's a fun site with images too!  Thank you, I did not know of it.

I am so happy that Humanoids is making available so much great material for us here in the USA.  I was super excited when Charest's work on Metabarons was finally published.  Recently, I was able to borrow a friend's Bluray copy of Jodorowsky's Dune.  It's a documentary on what he and Moebius had planned to create before the rights were taken from them.

My current endeavor is tracking down English editions of anything Paul Gillon (Lost in Time/ The Survivor/ Etc), and reading copies of earlier Heavy Metal magazine.