• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Love to know whomever has the disposable income to pay millions for a video game tax returns look like.

People go without food and water, there is something fundamentally wrong here

Tax returns? Like Leona Helmsley averred, "Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona_Helmsley_cropped_mug.jpg

On 9/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, comicwiz said:

Maybe I missed this explanation and context, but does the seller selling over GPA work for CGC? I'm not understanding the comparison being drawn here to someone working at WATA, who graded his games through WATA, and is selling them on eBay.

Are you referring to Mark Haspel who was the former President of CGC and now still on board as a consultant to CGC:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/2066/

On 9/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to Mark Haspel who was the former President of CGC and now still on board as a consultant to CGC:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/2066/

Yes. I guess amnesia is an affliction that grips the smartest ones amongst us, or maybe it's just the ones that play dumb

“After a decade of grading books, I need a short break to take care of some personal issues and to liquidate some of my inventory that I’ve had for years as a result of not being able to actively buy and sell as per CGC’s internal code of ethics,” said Haspel.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Bronty said:

Does anyone other than CheezWiz here know how to ignore a user?    When I try to do so I get this screen

4B095DD4-9E04-4A5D-A6E8-F949636F5C6A.png

I’ve never figured out a way to access that feature from my phone; I’ve only been able to do it through my desktop computer. 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

On a mobile device you get that Error Code screen if you (sensibly) go:

Account > Ignored Users

Try the less obvious:

Forums > My Settings > Ignored Users

That works.

Yes, have to take the long route and go through Account Settings

On 8/30/2021 at 7:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

Great question but might be an alternative to the answer you seek.  Every top sale impacts all lower tiers.   So, to be honest, I am very interested in the outcome to the auction for Amazing Fantasy 15 in a blue label 9.6. on of all places, Heritage.   The current bid with the buyer's premium is at $2,880,000 and that is before tax.   There are nine days remaining before the live auction and quite a few believe this is going to surpass the Action 1 in a 9.0 sale.  

Why am I heavily interested in this?  I cannot afford and will never afford a 9.6.  However, I have a 1.8, 3.5 and a 6.0.   If history holds true, the more that the 9.6 goes for, the more interest there will be in 'affordable' copies of the book.  That means that there is a higher demand for what is more obtainable.  

If the auction of the 9.6 is later revealed to be a sham, then the value of my items may not only decrease but there is a loss of faith in the market in general.   People no longer trust that the item they are buying has the value they believe it does. The value of my items may not only stagnate but decrease in value as the prospective customer base is alienated from participating in future purchases. 

Now again, to take your position, could this piece of investigative journalism also be a sham?  Absolutely.   The intent there is to then destabilize what is then a legitimate market in an effort to eliminate growth or create a declination of value for a multitude of reasons.  Again, such actions turn off the customer base which hesitates at participating in future purchases. 

The whole thing stinks no matter you believe the video or not to be honest. 

Same thing happened in Trading Cards with the 1986 Fleer Jordan earlier this year as a prime example of Alleged fraud and market manipulation. Of course what is not often mentioned is nearly all dealers and majority of collectors seem to condone this type of fraud and manipulation.  Dealers OK makes sense logically, but for collectors its a strange Stockholm syndrome variation.  Case in point nearly every collector I have spoke to knows how crooked (insert name of well large state auction house  or Banned northwest eBay entity here) are, not to mention (insert name name a left or right coast warm state grading firm here) but continue to do business with them unabated and often will defend them to the hilt. 

If the bulk collectors stayed away the schemes would have minimal success, if not failure, but those behind the scenes know that ain't ever going to happen.

Earlier in this topic there was mention of  OCA shenanigans going on, no surprise.. Anyone have a link or willing to provide info. Here is one of those posts.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

Funny you mention that. 

That was also part of this morning's texts back and forth how one specific art dealer took on the inventory of another dealer's who took it on from another.  I have been following a set of certain pages when they were announced to the public as being 'for sale' and then they 'sold' but the others were available at an increased price. 

I am becoming disenchanted with collecting these days. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

Same thing happened in Trading Cards with the 1986 Fleer Jordan earlier this year as a prime example of Alleged fraud and market manipulation. Of course what is not often mentioned is nearly all dealers and majority of collectors seem to condone this type of fraud and manipulation.  Dealers OK makes sense logically, but for collectors its a strange Stockholm syndrome variation.  Case in point nearly every collector I have spoke to knows how crooked (insert name of well large state auction house  or Banned northwest eBay entity here) are, not to mention (insert name name a left or right coast warm state grading firm here) but continue to do business with them unabated and often will defend them to the hilt. 

I guess collectors don't like to admit that they've been had? (shrug)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/3/2021 at 11:00 PM, HotKey said:

For those wondering if the FTC is going to look at this

The FTC will only take action if complaints are submitted. If no complaints, then video exposés and social media reporting are all sizzle and no steak.

Report Fraud to the FTC

The FTC protects consumers by stopping unfair, deceptive or fraudulent practices in the marketplace. We conduct investigations, sue companies and people that violate the law, develop rules to ensure a vibrant marketplace, and educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities.

The FTC says that complaints can help it and its law enforcement partners detect patterns of fraud and abuse, which may lead to investigations and stopping unfair business practices.

How to Report Fraud

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Submit Consumer Complaint

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

On 8/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, valiantman said:

Maximizing comic revenue for legit comics, more specifically.  25% of all CGC graded copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 and over 40% of CGC graded Action Comics #1 are restored. 

How many were changing hands as "100% original" before CGC?

Well, I guess it really depends upon your definition of "restoration" which seems to be ever shrinking as time goes on with CGC around to safeguard us from the comic book doctors and scammers.  hm

If you go with the generally and widely accepted definition of restoration which was in place prior to CGC, I guess we would have to say that there is now an overwhelmingly huge proportion of books now changing hands as "100% original" when in fact they should have been classified as "restored" using the pre-CGC definition.  :devil:

On 9/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, comicwiz said:

Proof Responds to WATA Co-Founder Mark Haspel
https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/proof-responds-to-wata-co-founder

This is just amazing.  I don't own slabbed video games like some people, so I don't have any skin in the game .  It's like a dumpster fire starting... and I love it.