• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Baltimore Comic-Con
2 2

156 posts in this topic

Baltimore Comic Con 2021 definitely did not disappoint and it couldn't have been run smoother.  I did catch a small head cold over the weekend but it appears to be going away quickly. 

I'd say the number of books in the room was down compared to 2019 but I still was able to find a long box of great books to buy without really trying too hard.  I took pictures of all the comic book booths and I'll try to post those up this afternoon or tomorrow morning at the latest.  There was some notable missing dealers (Gator, Harley, Earl) but the ones that came brought some great books at low prices.

Thanks again to Murphman for the extra badge and it was great hanging out with you and George for the couple days.  There was so many board members hanging around that it felt like a board social event.  Thanks to ShortBox for the drinks and food Friday night - great batch of guys with some sweet books.

I've got Baltimore penciled in for next year and hopefully next year we won't have to wear a mask.

Edited by 1Cool

I went to the Short Box social event on Friday night and got there pretty early.  Sat down at a table with a guy already there and we started talking about the show and what he bought.  It turned out it was our very own PKJ and we had a good time talking about OA and books that we have sold way too early.  Glad to meet him and put a face with a name on the boards.

Overall I had a great time and as @1Cool mentioned was very cool to meet him and a few others throughout the weekend. Had fun chatting with my favorite Astro's fan @MrBedrock about them and the Braves and luckily we did not jinx the Braves. I did miss @blazingbob walkaround where he shows everyone  how to make money buying comics, I met at the pole outside at 9 but no one ever came. The @shortboxed meet and greet was awesome and very much appreciated.  As Andrew said above, I will pencil this show in next year as well, luckily it was a bye week this year or I would have likely missed it.

Getting in and out was pretty easy, although I left around 1 Saturday to drive to Philly to bring home some cheesesteaks for the family and the line to get through the checkpoint for the cleared wristband was way down the street so I am sure some people were annoyed by that.

I went with not very high expectations and had 4 runs I was focused on along with 3-4 bigger books. I don't normally dig through the 2,3 or 5 boxes at shows that I fly to just due to space but did grab a good stack of $2.00 books from Victory Comics.  There was plenty to offer and I was pretty happy with everything I bought, although most of what I am looking for is not your current spec or hype books. 

Few things I bought, 1st pic Part of the 2 dollar box books. I needed an All Star Western 11 so was pretty happy to find it in the first couple of boxes and led me to buy books I certainly did not need.

IMG_0152 (1).jpg

The second pic is some Tomb Of Dracula books I needed to upgrade. 

IMG_0153.jpg

I was able to land a Flash 105 at the show, I have been looking for one for a little while and was happy with finding one there. Showcase 4 is the other bigger book I was on the lookout for but only noticed the restored copy in the building so if there was a second copy I did not see it. That and some run fillers for TTA and Thor.

IMG_0151.jpg

Phillip

Edited by PKJ

I feel terrible and cannot remember the two dealers I spoke to yesterday; I had two separate dealers who agreed to sell me 2 specific books (Golden Record Reprint Editions) but requested cash. I told them I'd be back- granted, it was late on Saturday- so, I ventured out to find the Wells Fargo to take out said cash and did not get back in time. If either of those dealers are reading this they'll remember me and feel free to slap me at the next show- but I'm just gonna start bringing $1k in cash from now on. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't considered what sellers pay in charge fees! 

But it was a great time otherwise and I was able to get some great Bronze Age stuff. My girlfriend was able to fill in some of the holes in her Steranko collection. I missed Baltimore; looking forward to going all 3 days next year.

Baltimore Photos 6.jpg

On 10/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, PKJ said:

Overall I had a great time and as @1Cool mentioned was very cool to meet him and a few others throughout the weekend. Had fun chatting with my favorite Astro's fan @MrBedrock about them and the Braves and luckily we did not jinx the Braves. I did miss @blazingbob walkaround where he shows everyone  how to make money buying comics, I met at the pole outside at 9 but no one ever came. The @shortboxed meet and greet was awesome and very much appreciated.  As Andrew said above, I will pencil this show in next year as well, luckily it was a bye week this year or I would have likely missed it.

Getting in and out was pretty easy, although I left around 1 Saturday to drive to Philly to bring home some cheesesteaks for the family and the line to get through the checkpoint for the cleared wristband was way down the street so I am sure some people were annoyed by that.

I went with not very high expectations and had 4 runs I was focused on along with 3-4 bigger books. I don't normally dig through the 2,3 or 5 boxes at shows that I fly to just due to space but did grab a good stack of $2.00 books from Victory Comics.  There was plenty to offer and I was pretty happy with everything I bought, although most of what I am looking for is not your current spec or hype books. 

Few things I bought, 1st pic Part of the 2 dollar box books. I needed an All Star Western 11 so was pretty happy to find it in the first couple of boxes and led me to buy books I certainly did not need.

IMG_0152 (1).jpg

The second pic is some Tomb Of Dracula books I needed to upgrade. 

IMG_0153.jpg

I was able to land a Flash 105 at the show, I have been looking for one for a little while and was happy with finding one there. Showcase 4 is the other bigger book I was on the lookout for but only noticed the restored copy in the building so if there was a second copy I did not see it. That and some run fillers for TTA and Thor.

IMG_0151.jpg

Phillip

Thanks for the great report and pics. Sure wish I could have been there!

Great show. Was happy to chat a bit with @shortboxed @Murphman13 and @FlyingDonut. I was there early on Saturday. Walked in the convention center at 9am and we got our covid bracelets and entry bracelets immediately. I was a bit shocked there weren't more people. Definitely felt like a lighter crowd. We left about 3:30. And holy carp. The line to get covid bracelet was so far down the street i couldn't even see the end. I have no idea how long that would have taken. 

I felt like this was a higer % of comics than in the past. Toys and statues definitely seemed to be down because they are something I'm always looking at. It was in a different space than before so that might skew my thinking as well. 

Edited by wombat

On 10/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, FlyingDonut said:

My feet hurt. BTW next year - October 28-30, 2022.

That sucks on the dates. Why do they get later every single year? 

Your carpet was a nice break on the feet by the way. 

Edited by wombat

On 10/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, PKJ said:

Headed to the airport now, was nice to meet some boardies and hang out. Agree with what others said, lots of good deals and plenty to dig through. I will share a few pics tonight. 

F4CA885A-E941-4ECD-81A7-1D72FEC7A623.jpeg

Any idea who Carbo sold the T27 to? Wasn't there when I finally summoned up the energy to scope his booth Saturday.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:14 AM, 1Cool said:

Baltimore Comic Con 2021 definitely did not disappoint and it couldn't have been run smoother.  I did catch a small head cold over the weekend but it appears to be going away quickly. 

I'd say the number of books in the room was down compared to 2019 but I still was able to find a long box of great books to buy without really trying too hard.  I took pictures of all the comic book booths and I'll try to post those up this afternoon or tomorrow morning at the latest.  There was some notable missing dealers (Gator, Harley, Earl) but the ones that came brought some great books at low prices.

Thanks again to Murphman for the extra badge and it was great hanging out with you and George for the couple days.  There was so many board members hanging around that it felt like a board social event.  Thanks to ShortBox for the drinks and food Friday night - great batch of guys with some sweet books.

I've got Baltimore penciled in for next year and hopefully next year we won't have to wear a mask.

You should wear a mask to protect us to having to see your face.

xoxo

greggy