• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

372 posts in this topic

So you're building it yourself I take it. Are you good at building furniture or is this a first effort? And from what kind of wood and what kind of stains are you considering?

???

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 10:26 AM, Hepcat said:

So you're building it yourself I take it. Are you good at building furniture or is this a first effort? And from what kind of wood and what kind of stains are you considering?

???

I learned to make furniture from my dad, he made customer furniture for about 30 years.  This will be made from 3/4 inch birch plywood, filled, sanded, then spray painted white.

Edited by batman_fan

On 3/28/2024 at 11:28 PM, Hepcat said:

The Superbird is the Street Rod version of the kit a modeler could build. It could also be built as Stock or Super Stock (for the drag strip).

I can't answer your second question because I didn't buy the kit as a collector. I bought it from Tuckey Hardware just around the corner in 1973-74 because I was fascinated by Plymouth Road Runners, Superbirds and Richard Petty's NASCAR Roadrunners and Dodge Chargers! My father bought us (actually me since he didn't drive) a red 1973 Charger at Glassford Motors in late 1973. I got a cassette car stereo with Pioneer 6x9 speakers for it in the summer of 1974. Then came B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's a few years later. In 1981 I sunk thousands of dollars into it when I had Jesse at the Hemi Shop in east London drop a souped up 340 with T/A exhaust manifolds (halfway to headers) into it and got it painted candy apple red. (Very impractical paint job.) Sadly now I've grown old and I only dream of my days as a hot rodder. Maybe if I won a lottery I'd get several classic muscle cars and take them to cruise nights wearing one of my many "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts and pretend I'm still a greaseball....

:/

There's a box lid on Ebay at the moment and I can see all five sides of it. I would of loved to build this kit as a kid! It is a 1971 Road Runner inside the box - but comes with the Superbird nose and wing that you could glue on - plus the 440 can be built as a six-pack or 4 barrel. I would of chose the six pack. I tried to buy a Sebring Plus (same body as the Road Runner just with a focus on luxury when it came to the interior) off a used car lot - but couldn't meet at the right price. Always loved the look of it. And as I try to remember the asking price for the car it boggles the mind. Used cars were dirt cheap back then. Probably was only a few hundred dollars.

At some point I will have to post a few pics of the models I have when I'm able to access them.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:29 PM, batman_fan said:

This will be made from 3/4 inch birch plywood, filled, sanded, then spray painted white.

Plexiglass doors to keep out the dust would also be well worthwhile. 

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/30/2024 at 12:40 AM, Vintage_Paper said:

At some point I will have to post a few pics of the models I have when I'm able to access them.

Please do! I take it diecasts of Richard Petty's 1971-72 Road Runner are available:

devil-dog-dot-games-1971-plymouth-roadru

Here's a pic of my MPC Petty-Charger anyway:

PettyCharger.jpg

And my Tyco Richard Petty Racing set:

RichardPettyRacing.jpg

:cool:

On 3/30/2024 at 1:10 AM, Hepcat said:

Please do! I take it diecasts of Richard Petty's 1971-72 Road Runner are available:

devil-dog-dot-games-1971-plymouth-roadru

Here's a pic of my MPC Petty-Charger anyway:

PettyCharger.jpg

And my Tyco Richard Petty Racing set:

RichardPettyRacing.jpg

I had a sealed JoHann Richard Petty Superbird Kit at one point. (was new old stock I found in a small Hobby Shop) Sold it at a swap meet in the 1980s.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:47 PM, batman_fan said:

Jungle Swamp comes up pretty often.  The one you don't see is the Wooly Mammoth

That's interesting. I would have figured that one for being more common. Did you see the one that was on ebay a few weeks ago?

On 4/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, dick pontoon said:

That's interesting. I would have figured that one for being more common. Did you see the one that was on ebay a few weeks ago?

I see unsealed kits for the Wooly Mammoth some times but not a sealed one

On 3/28/2024 at 10:13 PM, batman_fan said:

Current state of the collection, 104 kits and counting.

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 8.10.27 PM.png

1. How about the Aurora figure kits from the 1950's and 1960's that don't quite fit into those categories such as the Confederate Raider, Knights, Gladiators, Castle Creatures, Dick Tracy, Zorro, Jesse James, etc? The Comic Scenes from the 1970's? Do you collect those as well?

2. Did you get lucky on egregiously expensive kits such as Gigantic Frankenstein, Godzilla's Go Kart, King Kong's Thronester and the Lost in Space diorama or did you end up having to pay through the nose for those?

3. How have you been able to resist other non-Aurora lines of kits such as the Hawk Weird-Ohs, Revell "Big Daddy" Roth Finks and Monogram Fred Flypoggers?

???

On 4/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, Hepcat said:

1. How about the Aurora figure kits from the 1950's and 1960's that don't quite fit into those categories such as the Confederate Raider, Knights, Gladiators, Castle Creatures, Dick Tracy, Zorro, Jesse James, etc? The Comic Scenes from the 1970's? Do you collect those as well?

2. Did you get lucky on egregiously expensive kits such as Gigantic Frankenstein, Godzilla's Go Kart, King Kong's Thronester and the Lost in Space diorama or did you end up having to pay through the nose for those?

3. How have you been able to resist other non-Aurora lines of kits such as the Hawk Weird-Ohs, Revell "Big Daddy" Roth Finks and Monogram Fred Flypoggers?

???

I am not doing the earlier kits right now and doubt I will.  Have thought about the sports sets but haven’t made any move yet and likely wont.  I don’t really like the later kits that were remakes either.

For the crazy expensive kits like Godzilla and King Kong cars, I don’t have them and seriously doubt I ever will.  The Gigantic Frankenstein kit I got below what I expected to pay.  The Lost in Space big kit probably paid current price.  For the robot, got a big bargain on it.  The recent opened but with the cellophane Godzilla Go Kart went for the price of a new car. 

I have one Weird-Ohs kit and keep my eyes open for others (love the card sets).  There are a few other kits I am watching for that aren’t Auroras.  I am looking forward to being able to display all of them plus some toys in a few years.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:40 AM, Vintage_Paper said:

I had a sealed JoHann Richard Petty Superbird Kit at one point. (was new old stock I found in a small Hobby Shop) Sold it at a swap meet in the 1980s.

Here then are pics of a few of my other car kits:

LilCoffin.jpg

OutlawandTweedyPie.jpg

BeatnikBanditMysterionRoadAgent.jpg

MysterionLunchBox.jpg

DonPrudhomme.jpg

DonPrudhommeSnake.jpg

Don Prudhomme absolutely dominated the Funny Car field in the 1970's. He won four straight NHRA Funny Car championships in a Chevy Monza/Plymouth Arrow bodied Funny Car from 1975 to 1978 finishing first in an incredible thirteen out of sixteen events in 1975 and 1976.

Nonetheless I still shut him down one time in my red 1973 Dodge Charger. I was driving westward along Highway 401 through the northern part of Toronto in the summer of 1979(?) when I noticed that the trailer I was passing was emblazoned with the livery of Don "The Snake" Prudhomme's Funny Car team. "Hmmmmm. They must be heading to Detroit from Montréal where the Grandnational was just held" I thought. When I then looked up at the cab of the truck, Don Prudhomme himself was behind the wheel! "Rad!" I thought. "I just blew by the Snake's Funny Car in my Charger and Don himself was driving! I can brag about that for the rest of my life."

JebAllen.jpg

JebAllens.jpg

ChiTownHustler.jpg

WildWillieBorsch.jpg

ChargerSM.jpg

ChargerSM4.jpg

ChargerSM2.jpg