• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

372 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 3:07 PM, Pontoon said:

The Revell reissue of the Monster of the Movies Dracula gets my vote for the worst monster model box art ever. However, since I plan to build it (which I wouldn't want to do with a sealed original) it doesn't matter so much.

Revell Dracula.jpg

Please post some pics when you are done building this and the Planet of the Apes kit too! :wishluck:

On 11/17/2023 at 6:35 PM, Jayman said:

I had to Google this. When did they rename the Victim Doctor Deadly's Daughter? Or is that just a Canadian reissue title? (shrug)

Best summary I have seen

"Dr. Deadly's Daughter" was the first version of Aurora's "The Victim" kit which was quickly renamed to avoid controversy and were only distributed in Canada.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Pontoon said:

Speaking of monsters, here's my Monster Scenes Hanging Cage and Feral Cat, along with Dr. Deadly and the Victim. I'm not 100% satisfied with it (although I like the way the sword came out) but need to move onto the next one. I've been splitting my time between the Forgotten Prisoner of Castle-Mare and the Prehistoric Scenes Triceratops.

Hanging-Cage-with-Cat.jpg

Hangin-Cage-Half.jpg

Hanging_Cage_Deadly_Victim.jpg

Hanging-Cage-Sword-3.jpg

Hanging_Cage_Pulley.jpg

That’s awesome work. 

I bought a reissue of the Mummy kit and I’ve stalled because I’m so discouraged with my lack of painting skill. 

On 12/3/2023 at 10:33 PM, batman_fan said:

Just added this kit.  There were two different sized boxes for the Neanderthal Man and Sabertooth Tiger.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 8.29.37 PM.png

Boy, reading the thread title and seeing this image without any other context.... yeesh

On 12/6/2023 at 3:59 AM, Bronty said:

Boy, reading the thread title and seeing this image without any other context.... yeesh

His loincloth is also removable. ;) 

On 12/6/2023 at 6:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Comparison of the two Neanderthal kits

neanderthal.jpg

What was the reason for the different size boxes? They didn’t include/exclude any parts or accessories, did they? I believe I had the smaller version with the dinosaur on the box as a kid.

On 12/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, Jayman said:

What was the reason for the different size boxes? They didn’t include/exclude any parts or accessories, did they? I believe I had the smaller version with the dinosaur on the box as a kid.

I actually don't know the history behind the different box sizes but they have the same content

On 12/6/2023 at 8:00 PM, Jayman said:

The art on several boxes was modified between '71 and '72 so that buyers wouldn't think a kit contained more figures than they actually did, such as the Allosaurus on the Neanderthal Man and Cave boxes or the Saber-Tooth Tiger on the Allosaurus box. Box sizes changed as well. I don't know why but would assume it had to do with uniformity and production costs. For the Saber-Tooth Tiger it may have been necessary as a second base part was included. The Allosaurus also received a base that was not included on the initial release, but I don't know if the box dimensions changed on that one.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:45 PM, batman_fan said:

Best summary I have seen

"Dr. Deadly's Daughter" was the first version of Aurora's "The Victim" kit which was quickly renamed to avoid controversy and were only distributed in Canada.

I find this summary to be poorly worded, so, as an Aurora collector myself, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.  This is the information that I have but I have no idea whether or not it's definitive.  I welcome all to fill in any holes or add corrections:

1.  This kit was issued in both Canada and the US.  In the US, it was named "The Victim" and in Canada, it was named "Dr. Deadly's Daughter".

2.  Was the Canadian version named as a direct result of US backlash over the name "The Victim"?  If so, then it would imply that these versions were not released simultaneously. 

3. To my knowledge, there was never a Canadian version entitled "The Victim".  That being said, I have a Canadian instruction sheet that bears the title "The Victim" (no mention of "Dr. Deadly's Daughter") so that has me wondering...

4.  The actual model kit in both versions is the same.

5.  The Canadian version was manufactured and packaged in Canada.

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, pemart1966 said:

I find this summary to be poorly worded, so, as an Aurora collector myself, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.  This is the information that I have but I have no idea whether or not it's definitive.  I welcome all to fill in any holes or add corrections:

1.  This kit was issued in both Canada and the US.  In the US, it was named "The Victim" and in Canada, it was named "Dr. Deadly's Daughter".

2.  Was the Canadian version named as a direct result of US backlash over the name "The Victim"?  If so, then it would imply that these versions were not released simultaneously. 

3. To my knowledge, there was never a Canadian version entitled "The Victim".  That being said, I have a Canadian instruction sheet that bears the title "The Victim" (no mention of "Dr. Deadly's Daughter") so that has me wondering...

4.  The actual model kit in both versions is the same.

5.  The Canadian version was manufactured and packaged in Canada.

Do  you have this book?  I don't but wonder if it provides more insight into the history of these kits.

I remember them as a kid when I was in grade school.  I only had the Pendulum but remember a friend bringing a couple to school.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 1.52.21 PM.png