• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

372 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 6:42 PM, Phicks said:

Wow!  I was about to ask why you didn’t have Galileo and K7 kits, but they were just vacationing in another cabinet.   Love those old AMT Star Trek models!  They were the gift of choice whenever my childhood friends had birthdays in the late 70s.

Here then are some close-up shots of my Star Trek model kits:

EnterpriseandKlingonShips.jpg

StarTrekModelKits.jpg

K-7SpaceStationGalileo7.jpg

MrSpock.jpg

Plus this one which I bought just recently at my local hobby shop, Wheels and Wings:

Romulan_Bird_of_Prey(1).jpg?width=1920&hRomulan_Bird_of_Prey_1.jpg?width=1920&he

I'm such a big fan of the Romulans that I couldn't resist the above re-issue in a tin even though I already have the original in my model kit collection.

I'm now going to start looking around for a kit of this later variant of a Romulan Warbird:

e93faa9fadca1e34-600x338.jpg

It's very well designed for confronting any marauding Federation or Bajoran imperialists.

:wink:

On 4/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, batman_fan said:

Completed my Forgotten Prisoner set, 98, 100, and Frightening Lightning

IMG_6312.jpg

It’s nice that I understand these designations now, congrats! :golfclap:

The first model kit I built was one I received in 1961 or 1962 at the John Labatt Limited employees' kids Xmas party at the old London Arena (whose main use by then was for roller skating, roller derbies and NWA wrestling):

arena2_zpsc79794e8.jpg

While we waited for Santa to make his appearance, we got cake, cookies and ice cream and were entertained by a wonderful magician. Every child's name was then called and we each received a wrapped present such as a model kit together with a boodle bag full of candy treats including a box of Cracker Jack and package of Mackintosh Toffee from Santa. It couldn't get any better than that for a kid at the time.

The kit I received was definitely an AMT 3-in-1 car model but I'm not sure exactly which. It may have been this Chevy Nova:

amt_1962_chevrolet_chevy_ii_nova_1_f0751

Or this Chevy II:

AMT_Chevy_II(1).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

I got glue marks/stains over the body and it only looked good from a distance. A few months later I purchased a tiny Revell model kit of a warship for $0.29-$0.39 from my local Les' Variety store. The box graphics to a certain extent resembled those of this much bigger Revell battleship below:

Missouri.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

But the model I bought came in a box that was only about six inches long and I think it was one of the British ships that fought in the Battle of the River Plate because I have a vague memory of reading about this battle on a model instruction sheet. I had bought it for the birthday party of Dave H. down the street but ended up building it myself when his party was cancelled. It was such a simple kit that I did a good job on it.

So emboldened was I by my success that I then stepped up to a model kit of an Aurora P-38 Lightning. Here's the one from my present day collection:

P38Lightning_zps8cc92760.jpg

Mine may have been molded in a white, grey or cream coloured plastic though since Aurora Canada often cast kits in different coloured plastic than did Aurora in the States. Nevertheless I built it nicely but then painted the whole thing other than the canopy with blue Testors glossy enamel paint to better mimic the picture on the box. I did a wretched job on the paint though with very obvious brush marks all over the plane. One of my buddies, Paul S., even commented that it looked lousy which had me concluding that since I couldn't paint very well, I wouldn't paint any more kits. This was perhaps a premature assessment since I was only eleven or so years of age at the time.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/13/2024 at 9:34 PM, Hepcat said:

The first model kit I built was one I received in 1961 or 1962 at the John Labatt Limited employees' kids Xmas party at the old London Arena (whose main use by then was for roller skating, roller derbies and NWA wrestling):

arena2_zpsc79794e8.jpg

While we waited for Santa to make his appearance, we got cake, cookies and ice cream and were entertained by a wonderful magician. Every child's name was then called and we each received a wrapped present such as a model kit together with a boodle bag full of candy treats including a box of Cracker Jack and package of Mackintosh Toffee from Santa. It couldn't get any better than that for a kid at the time.

The kit I received was definitely an AMT 3-in-1 car model but I'm not sure exactly which. It may have been this Chevy Nova:

amt_1962_chevrolet_chevy_ii_nova_1_f0751

Or this Chevy II:

AMT_Chevy_II(1).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

I got glue marks/stains over the body and it only looked good from a distance. A few months later I purchased a tiny Revell model kit of a warship for $0.29-$0.39 from my local Les' Variety store. The box graphics to a certain extent resembled those of this much bigger Revell battleship below:

Missouri.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

But the model I bought came in a box that was only about six inches long and I think it was one of the British ships that fought in the Battle of the River Plate because I have a vague memory of reading about this battle on a model instruction sheet. I had bought it for the birthday party of Dave H. down the street but ended up building it myself when his party was cancelled. It was such a simple kit that I did a good job on it.

So emboldened was I by my success that I then stepped up to a model kit of an Aurora P-38 Lightning. Here's the one from my present day collection:

P38Lightning_zps8cc92760.jpg

Mine may have been molded in a white, grey or cream coloured plastic though. Nonetheless I built it nicely but then painted the whole thing other than the canopy with blue Testors glossy enamel paint to better mimic the picture on the box. I did a wretched job on the paint though with very obvious brush marks all over the plane. One of my buddies, Paul S., even commented that it looked lousy which had me concluding that since I couldn't paint very well, I wouldn't paint any more kits. This was perhaps a premature assessment since I was only eleven or so years of age at the time.

(shrug)

Great story.  Definitely can see where your model kit passion comes from.

When I started doing the monster kits you didn't see the long boxes very often.  I built the 1970s square box kits.  First kit I got was the Forgotten Prisoner.  My oldest brother helped me build it.  Back then if I had 2 different colors of tester paint I was doing good and my painting only lasted one day because I didn't have turpentine to clean the brush.

While I was strongly drawn to the Revell "Big Daddy" Roth custom car and fink kits right from the start,  I don't clearly remember when and where I first learned of these kits or "Big Daddy" Roth's existence. It was perhaps from an ad for one of his model kits in Boy's Life magazine in 1963 or so:

roth-models-ad_zpswid5boqw.jpg

But I clearly remember looking at the Revell Beatnik Bandit model kit at the Tuckey Hardware store two blocks from my house sometime in early 1964:

Beatnik_zpsdxecuiza.jpg

A few months afterward I was completely knocked out when I saw the Revell Rat Fink model kit at the Coles bookstore on Dundas Street in downtown London. I bought it almost immediately, built it nicely but left it unpainted:

Rat%20Fink_zpsgyakbhoq.jpg

Later in perhaps early 1965 I bought this even wilder Revell Roth Mysterion kit that I'd been admiring for several months at Tuckey Hardware:

Mysterion_zpsuxwegf3m.jpg

My desire for all things Roth was then further stoked by these ads:

(edited)_22Big_Daddy_22_Roth_2.png

Roth3_zps79fowom4.jpg

Even though I saw such a Testor's paint display stand at the hobby shop above Cowan's Hardware in downtown London, I knew these paints were for more sophisticated cooler kids who could actually paint. And who could of course afford relatively more expensive spray paint cans!

I also remember gazing with wonder at this ad which also appeared on the back cover of some DC comics as well as on the back cover of Big Daddy Roth 4:

Rothad.jpg

Wow! Winning "Big Daddy" Roth's company as a house guest for a week! How cool would that be? A girl in her early teens from New Jersey actually won the contest with her "Scuz-Fink" submission.

What's certain is that this ad which appeared in issue #16 of Drag Cartoons that I bought in May 1965 sealed the deal in turning me into a "Big Daddy" Roth fanatic for life:

(edited)_DragCartoons16A.jpg

(edited)_DragCartoons16B.jpg

22-05-201130949PM.jpg

That issue proved key in shaping my interests since it also prompted me to send away to Millar Publications for every back issue of Drag Cartoons and Big Daddy Roth magazine I could get and also sparked an abiding interest in hot rods that's stayed with me to the present day.

I then bought a Revell Brother Rat Fink T-Shirt Iron-On Transfer at the Seven Mile Hobby Shop just west of the Southfield Expressway in Detroit in the early summer of 1965 and successfully applied it to one of my T-shirts:

Brother_zpsff8qhble.jpg (Not mine.)

My very old-school father though took one look at it, confiscated it and used it for a rag in the garage. Very sad. The same fate befell the Rat Fink sweatshirt I ordered up and received from "Big Daddy" Roth's shop in the winter of 1965-66. 

I had also noticed an absolutely wild Angel Fink kit in the window of Steve's Variety & Gift Shop in Wortley Road Village just over a block from my house sometime after building the Rat Fink but I didn't buy it at the time: 

Angel%20Fink_zpspstr9sjo.jpg

I did so in the fall of 1965 though at a hobby shop in Wells, Maine when I was attending a boarding school in Kennebunkport, Maine. It became the first non-Aurora model kit I painted and I actually did a pretty good job.

I also clearly remember being tempted by the Revell Surfink kit when I saw it at Coles Books later in 1966 but passed on buying it because I was in high school by then:

surfink_zps57dd6928.jpg

The Revell Surfink kit can be seen to have been closely based on this Roth T-shirt design executed in pen and ink by Wes Bennett (I think) which not surprisingly ranks among my very favourites:

Surf%20Nut_zps7dzknzmq.jpg

Whenever that first exposure of mine to "Big Daddy" Roth's designs was, I was absolutely captivated just about from the get-go. This stuff I knew was absolutely outta sight wild cool (and something my parents just couldn't understand of course)! 

By 1983 I was buying up whatever MIB Revell Roth kits I could find. At the time they were surprisingly cheap in comparison to the Aurora monster model kits. I now have almost all the ones I really want with the exception of Scuz-Fink and Surfite (to what I'm sure would have been the absolute disgust of my father anyway):

(edited)_Revell_cabinet.png

I also have about 22 "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts including these:

SlyFox.jpg

BustinLoose.jpg

StyxRatFink4_zps14e665a4.jpg

I ordered a whole bunch of these T-shirts through the Roth catalog circa 2000 and spent some time talking with Ed himself on the phone.

While I don't have a Brother Rat Fink T-Shirt Iron-On Transfer, I do have the Rat Fink one:

(edited)_Rat_Fink_Iron-On.png

RatFinktransfer3.jpg

It's the other eleven Revell T-Shirt Iron-On Transfers I really need now!

I also have a couple of Roth store promo posters including this one for the Testor's paints:

TestorsRoth_zps32063d61.jpg

TestorsRoth2_zps0ed70674.jpg

There's also a Revell "Ransom a Rat Fink" poster that I'd really like to add to my collection.

So to this very day I remain a wild-eyed drooling fan of "Big Daddy" Roth and his custom rods and finks! Don't you just love those happy endings?

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

I was also well aware of the Hawk Weird-Ohs model kits as a kid. I don't remember how and where I first learned of them, but it would not have been long after Hawk first started releasing them in 1963 because they were very widely sold. Here's a picture of the poster that went out to retailers in conjunction with the release of the first three Weird-Ohs: 

Hawk%20Weird-Ohs_zpsqr5g9rsi.jpg

And here's a poster from 1964 displaying them all:

Hawk%20Weirds_zpsovawmu3u.jpg

I particularly remember gazing upon a Huey's Hut Rod kit in the downtown Coles bookstore. Here's the one from my present day collection:

Weird-ohsHueysHutRod.jpg

I also admired an Endsville Eddie kit at Coles:

Weird-ohsEndsvilleEddie.jpg

Moreover Steve's Variety & Gift Shop seemed to have one of the two smaller Weird-Oh kits that had a retail price of $0.50, Sling Rave Curvette or Wade A. Minut, on display in their front window for several years. These of course caught my eye every time I passed (as did the chocolate cream puffs priced at $0.15 in the window of the Bell Noll Bakery next door): 

Weirdo-ohsWadeAMinut.jpg

I also still remember Mike M. just down the block from me proudly showing me the Francis the Foul kit he'd built but left unpainted:

For Mike and his older brother Fred to beat me to the punch when it came to getting things though was par for the course. They were a lot more sophisticated and cooler than I was since even Mike was a year older than me.

I never bought and built any of the Weird-Ohs though. Quite simply I didn't have the spending money to indulge my every whim and I could see that the Weird-Oh kits simply weren't as good as the Revell Roth finks or the Aurora Universal monsters when it came to quality. But I have them all in my present day collection because they're plenty cool enough for me these days! 

Here then are more shots from my present day collection:

Weird-ohModelKits2.jpg

(edited)_Model_Cabinet_Middle.png

Plus I have a bunch of ancillary Weird-Ohs items including a Fleer Weird-Ohs card set and wrapper from 1965:

Weird-Ohscards.jpg

(edited)_Weird-Ohscards.png

Weird-Ohswrapper.jpg

A couple of Magic Slates:

Weird-OhMagicSlates_zpsbf01b758.jpg

And five sets of the decals (I sold one set) in the display box plus the shipping box which I bought at a vintage model shop over 35 years ago!

DSCN3224_zps27d26197.jpg

DSCN3222_zpsa628032b.jpg

DSCN3220_zpsc5bc099b.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat