• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

371 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 12:53 PM, Pontoon said:

Ursus in progress.

Ursus in Progress.jpg

Looks like he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Still working on the cookie jar?

Now for the stuff I did win.

I have the 100 box Forgotten Prisoner but not a 98 and this one was nice

Down to just the lightning Frankenstein but my Dracula and Phantom are not sealed.  I tried for the Dracula in this auction but finally had to tap out but the Forgotten Prisoner was bargain priced

Gigantic Frankenstein is opened but unassembled, box is decent

Finally a nice Addams Family house sealed

Several Prehistoric Scenes but the ultimate one I wanted, T-Rex.  I thought it would cost me a lot more!  Two more kits to complete the set

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.24.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.25.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.25.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.25.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.26.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.26.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.26.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.27.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.27.24 PM.png

On 3/20/2024 at 10:33 PM, batman_fan said:

Now for the stuff I did win.

I have the 100 box Forgotten Prisoner but not a 98 and this one was nice

Down to just the lightning Frankenstein but my Dracula and Phantom are not sealed.  I tried for the Dracula in this auction but finally had to tap out but the Forgotten Prisoner was bargain priced

Gigantic Frankenstein is opened but unassembled, box is decent

Finally a nice Addams Family house sealed

Several Prehistoric Scenes but the ultimate one I wanted, T-Rex.  I thought it would cost me a lot more!  Two more kits to complete the set

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.27.24 PM.png

I remember having this one. Huge and red plastic with glow-in-the-dark teeth?

Also regarding the Forgotten Prisoner, what is the 100 box vs the 98?

On 3/21/2024 at 7:16 AM, Jayman said:

I remember having this one. Huge and red plastic with glow-in-the-dark teeth?

Also regarding the Forgotten Prisoner, what is the 100 box vs the 98?

I had the T-Rex kit as a kid.  Bought it from the toy store in Osgood, IN.  They were clearing the kits out so got it dirt cheap.  I loved the color and glow in the dark teeth.

Those long box monster kits got issued initially with the -98 notation so the forgotten prisoner is a 422-98.  My understanding is the -98 was for $0.98 price.  Later they got changed to -100 for a $1.00 price.  I included the two box types for the Dracula kit.  You can see the 424-100 versus 424-98.  People with severe ADHD have to have both in their collection.

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

On 3/21/2024 at 11:09 AM, batman_fan said:

I had the T-Rex kit as a kid.  Bought it from the toy store in Osgood, IN.  They were clearing the kits out so got it dirt cheap.  I loved the color and glow in the dark teeth.

Those long box monster kits got issued initially with the -98 notation so the forgotten prisoner is a 422-98.  My understanding is the -98 was for $0.98 price.  Later they got changed to -100 for a $1.00 price.  I included the two box types for the Dracula kit.  You can see the 424-100 versus 424-98.  People with severe ADHD have to have both in their collection.

Methinks you mean people with severe OCD have to have both.

Wow!  I was about to ask why you didn’t have Galileo and K7 kits, but they were just vacationing in another cabinet.   Love those old AMT Star Trek models!  They were the gift of choice whenever my childhood friends had birthdays in the late 70s.

Edited by Phicks

On 3/21/2024 at 11:07 PM, Hepcat said:

Okay. I guess it's high time I showed my stuff. Don't say you weren't begging for it. I've been collecting unbuilt model kits since about 1983. I have a den where I keep my comics and many of my other collectibles:

baseballcards.jpg

Here from nearly ten years ago are some pics of the main model cabinet in my den:

Aslot.jpg

DSCN3173_zpsea8058c8.jpg

DSCN3174_zpsea461e53.jpg

DSCN3176_zps0dde3de9.jpg

DSCN3177_zps0d586899.jpg

Hepcatlookingattshirt-2.jpg

AStyxmodels.jpg

And here's the miscellaneous toy cabinet in which I keep the overflow from my model kit cabinet:

DSCN3166_zpscf9768ae.jpg

DSCN3169_zps8efbfe83.jpg

And a few close-up shots featuring Styx:

HepcatAuroraMonsterKits.jpg

HepcatLookinginsidekits.jpg

HepcatAngelFinketc.jpg

HepcatSlotcar.jpg

HepcatSlotCars3.jpg

And here's Styx standing guard to make sure no interloper, two legged or otherwise, trys to build any of my three Monogram Fred Flypogger kits:

HepcatFriend2.jpg

I have of course added a few slot car and other kits to my collection in recent years. If any of these kits are of particular interest, I have dozens of close-up shots of most of the model kits visible in my cabinets.

:)

Amazing collection (worship)

My most recent additions to my collection were these three high dollar slot car kits:

Revell 1/24 Mr. Rat Fink in Lotus Ford

Revell_Rat_Fink_in_Lotus.jpg

Revell_Rat_Fink_in_Lotus_1_x6T28ZY56VLaS

Revell launched the above kit in 1965 with this wild cool ad in magazines such as Car Model and Boy's Life:

Revell_Roth_slot_car_ad.jpg

The two kits are demand scarce because of x-over interest from both "Big Daddy" Roth fans and slot car enthusiasts.

Monogram 1/24 Indy Lotus Type 38

Monogram_Indy_Lotus_1_q3UYxQtfB13Fx5SE96

Monogram_Indy_Lotus_3_dz5Hkj5oPJzkEoV5sf

I love the look of the Type 38 Lotus! It was among the last of the cigar-shaped Indy cars and among the first rear-engined Indy cars.

The Indy Lotus is widely hailed as being among Monogram's very finest slot car offerings and mint-in-box ones are super difficult to find these days.

At the top of my slot car Want List are the Monogram '36 Ford Coupe and the '40 Ford Pickup from this ad which absolutely captivated me when I saw it in Boy's Life magazine in 1964:

(edited)_Monogram_ad.jpg

I mean just imagine building a model car kit that you could actually race against other ones!

Cox 1/24 Ford GT40

Cox_Ford_GT_a.jpg

Cox_Ford_GT_c.jpg

Cox_Ford_GT_b.jpg

Cox was technically almost half a year ahead of the other slot car manufacturers during the slot car boom of 1964-67 (and bust in 1968). And the 1/24 scale Ford GT40 is among Cox's all around best when combining both appearance and performance.  The other kits on my list look somewhat crude in comparison to this Cox Ford GT40. Unassembled ones are also tough to find these days.

A 1/24 scale Cheetah is the Cox slot car kit that tops my Want List these days though.

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/21/2024 at 11:09 AM, batman_fan said:

Those long box monster kits got issued initially with the -98 notation so the forgotten prisoner is a 422-98.  My understanding is the -98 was for $0.98 price.  Later they got changed to -100 for a $1.00 price.  I included the two box types for the Dracula kit.  You can see the 424-100 versus 424-98.  People with severe ADHD (or rather OCD) have to have both in their collection.

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

I fully understand OCD. After all, I collect variants of a whole bunch of card sets:

Bowman Red Menace with both beige card stock and grey card stock

Topps Target Moon and Space 

Topps Space with both blue backs and pink/salmon/coral backs

Topps Planes with both red and blue backs

Topps Sports Cars with both beige card stock and grey card stock

1961 and 1966 Topps Giant Funny Valentines plus 1966 O-Pee-Chee Giant Funny Valentines

1961-62 Hockey Coins in both Shirriff and Salada backs

Fightin' Warship Coins in Krun-Chee, Schuler's and Hunter's backs

1963 Space Orbit Coins in six different backs

Dog Coins in both Humpty Dumpty and Hunter's backs

1963 CFL Coins in both bilingual and English only backs

Sunbeam, Taystee and Langendorf DC Superheroes

Plus whatever slipped my mind these past few minutes.

But!!! That being said I can't imagine collecting model kits varying only by part of the model number in my lifetime. Quite simply there are hundreds of different model kits I still need/want. Moreover unlike my cards which require minimum storage space in binders, model kits take up substantial display space. This means additional kits take up display space that is then denied to other kits! Why then waste this space on essentially the same kit?

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/28/2024 at 5:02 PM, Hepcat said:

I fully understand OCD. After all, I collect variants of a whole bunch of card sets:

Bowman Red Menace with both beige card stock and grey card stock

Topps Target Moon and Space 

Topps Space with both blue backs and pink/salmon/coral backs

Topps planes with both red and blue backs

Topps Sports Cars with both beige card stock and grey card stock

1961 and 1966 Topps Giant Funny Valentines plus 1966 O-Pee-Chee Giant Funny Valentines

1961-62 Hockey Coins in both Shirriff and Salada backs

Fightin' Warship Coins in Krun-Chee, Schuler's and Hunter's backs

1963 Space Orbit Coins in six different backs

Dog Coins in both Humpty Dumpty and Hunter's backs

1963 CFL Coins in both bilingual and English only backs

Sunbeam, Taystee and Langendorf DC Superheroes

Plus whatever slipped my mind these past few minutes.

That being said I can't imagine collecting model kits varying only by part of the model number in my lifetime. Quite simply there are hundreds of different model kits I still need/want. Moreover unlike my cards which require minimum storage space in binders, model kits take up substantial display space. This means additional kits take up display space that is then denied to other kits! Why then waste this space on essentially the same kit?

(shrug)

My office is 330sqft and I will have a 20ft x 9ft shelf system on one wall to fill so storage isn't going to be an issue for quite a while.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 7:03 PM, Hepcat said:

"Will have"? Are you saying that you've not been displaying your model kits to this point?

???

They are displayed in a hodge podged way.  Some in one room, some in another, lots you can't see.

Current state of the collection, 104 kits and counting.

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 8.10.27 PM.png

Edited by batman_fan

On 3/22/2024 at 1:07 AM, Hepcat said:

Okay. I guess it's high time I showed my stuff. Don't say you weren't begging for it. I've been collecting unbuilt model kits since about 1983. I have a den where I keep my comics and many of my other collectibles:

baseballcards.jpg

Here from nearly ten years ago are some pics of the main model cabinet in my den:

Aslot.jpg

DSCN3173_zpsea8058c8.jpg

DSCN3174_zpsea461e53.jpg

DSCN3176_zps0dde3de9.jpg

DSCN3177_zps0d586899.jpg

Hepcatlookingattshirt-2.jpg

AStyxmodels.jpg

And here's the miscellaneous toy cabinet in which I keep the overflow from my model kit cabinet:

DSCN3166_zpscf9768ae.jpg

DSCN3169_zps8efbfe83.jpg

And a few close-up shots featuring Styx:

HepcatAuroraMonsterKits.jpg

HepcatLookinginsidekits.jpg

HepcatAngelFinketc.jpg

HepcatSlotcar.jpg

HepcatSlotCars3.jpg

And here's Styx standing guard to make sure no interloper, two legged or otherwise, trys to build any of my three Monogram Fred Flypogger kits:

HepcatFriend2.jpg

I have of course added a few slot car and other kits to my collection in recent years. If any of these kits are of particular interest, I have dozens of close-up shots of most of the model kits visible in my cabinets.

Great collection of kits Hepcat. I find it hilarious seeing a non-existent 1971 Superbird on the Road Runner kit. Is it just an error that box artist made or is there really a Superbird body inside the box? Does it make the kit more or less sought out by collectors?

The Superbird is the Street Rod version of the kit a modeler could build. It could also be built as Stock or Super Stock (for the drag strip).

I can't answer your second question because I didn't buy the kit as a collector. I bought it from Tuckey Hardware just around the corner in 1973-74 because I was fascinated by Plymouth Road Runners, Superbirds and Richard Petty's NASCAR Roadrunners and Dodge Chargers! My father bought us (actually me since he didn't drive) a red 1973 Charger at Glassford Motors in late 1973. I got a cassette car stereo with Pioneer 6x9 speakers for it in the summer of 1974. Then came B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's a few years later. In 1981 I sunk thousands of dollars into it when I had Jesse at the Hemi Shop in east London drop a souped up 340 with T/A exhaust manifolds (halfway to headers) into it and got it painted candy apple red. (Very impractical paint job.) Sadly now I've grown old and I only dream of my days as a hot rodder. Maybe if I won a lottery I'd get several classic muscle cars and take them to cruise nights wearing one of my many "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts and pretend I'm still a greaseball....

:/

Edited by Hepcat