• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

372 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Do  you have this book?  I don't but wonder if it provides more insight into the history of these kits.

I remember them as a kid when I was in grade school.  I only had the Pendulum but remember a friend bringing a couple to school.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 1.52.21 PM.png

I don't have this book either and it's very pricey on the secondary market.

I didn't have any of these kits as an early teen,  but I do remember them in the store.  I remember seeing the store display and the Giant Insect kit.

I guess that we'll have to wait for someone who has the book to tell us what's in there vis - a - vis this kit...

On 12/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, pemart1966 said:

I didn't have any of these kits as an early teen,  but I do remember them in the store.  I remember seeing the store display and the Giant Insect kit.

I guess that we'll have to wait for someone who has the book to tell us what's in there vis - a - vis this kit...

I keep watching and debating buying it but yes very expensive

On 12/21/2023 at 12:09 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Oh man, I had this one as well. I always had it beating the Stegosaurus.

I think you mean Styracosaurus. Aurora never made a Stegosaurus, although Dave Cockrum designed one and a prototype was scuplted but never released. I think it was in the '90s someone produced a resin kit based on the design.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:46 PM, batman_fan said:
On 12/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, pemart1966 said:

I keep watching and debating buying it but yes very expensive

Current prices for that book are seller-on-crack insane. I'd like one myself, but I'll wait until a reasonable copy comes across my path.

Speaking of crazy prices, the majority of asking prices for the Moebius repops are also nuts. So far I've been able to pick up the ones I want on my cheapskate budget by being patient. I still have my originals (except for Vampirella :frustrated:) but I prefer using reissues for building and painting.

The Giant Insect was never released in the US. Maybe you're thinking of of of the MPC Gigantics kits?

Anyways, after Nabisco pulled the plug on the series, remaining inventory was sent to Canada along with 3 kits that didn't get released here, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (these were later reissued as Monsters of the Movies kits) and the Giant Insect. The Victim was renamed Dr. Deadly's Daughter.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Correct! I was thinking of other Stegs I had in my toys, whether they were bigger or smaller.

There was a Pyro Stegosaurus model that was molded in purple, I forgot to mention him. Those guys were smaller and all in different scales.

Here's my most recent pickups, a Moebius Mummy reissue and a Prehistoric Scenes '71 Neanderthal Man. My original Neanderthal Man was nicely painted by my mom and I want to keep it as is. I'll need to strip some off of this guy who's partially painted.

Moebius-Mummy.jpg

Neanderthal-Man.jpg

Neanderthal-Man-2.jpg

Neanderthal-Man-3.jpg

On 12/21/2023 at 2:49 PM, Pontoon said:

Here's my most recent pickups, a Moebius Mummy reissue and a Prehistoric Scenes '71 Neanderthal Man. My original Neanderthal Man was nicely painted by my mom and I want to keep it as is. I'll need to strip some off of this guy who's partially painted.

Moebius-Mummy.jpg

Neanderthal-Man.jpg

Neanderthal-Man-2.jpg

Neanderthal-Man-3.jpg

I loved how the bases interlocked

On 12/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, batman_fan said:

Maybe someday when I'm retired I'll set all mine up again. They take up a good amount of space. As a kid I never knew the Allosaurus didn't initially get base, and didn't understand why one was pictured on the maps from '72 on.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:12 PM, Pontoon said:

Maybe someday when I'm retired I'll set all mine up again. They take up a good amount of space. As a kid I never knew the Allosaurus didn't initially get base, and didn't understand why one was pictured on the maps from '72 on.

Definitely post a picture if you put them together.

I have thought about buying built kits to paint and display but before I do, need to make sure I have room for them.  In my retirement office I hope to have built in bookshelves that span on wall with a lot of floor to ceiling spacing.

Edited by batman_fan

On 12/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, batman_fan said:

Me too. It’s like you were creating a prehistoric world as you went along. Marketing genius! My only gripe as a kid is that I wanted a full model of the wooly rhino! I thought it was cool and felt cheated with it being cut in half! :sumo:

On 12/26/2023 at 1:41 PM, Pontoon said:

Cross posting but why not? Got these reissues for Xmas. Looking forward to building both. I've never had Oddjob before.

Models Xmas 2023.jpg

Growing up that was my favorite character, it even made me take interest in the James Bond Jr cartoon lol anyone remember that?

The video game was especially fun, but I don't "remember" a lot of it as I was young, except maybe the tagline of the theme song. I always wanted "oddjob" to show up, it seemed to get cancelled quick though. I vaguely recall :) 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Growing up that was my favorite character, it even made me take interest in the James Bond Jr cartoon lol anyone remember that?

The video game was especially fun, but I don't "remember" a lot of it as I was young, except maybe the tagline of the theme song. I always wanted "oddjob" to show up, it seemed to get cancelled quick though. I vaguely recall :) 

I loved Oddjob. I remember my parents taking us to the drive in in the station wagon to see Goldfinger. We were supposed to be asleep in the back but I was watching. I wanted a hat like that so bad.

But what really fascinated me was the gold painted girl…:devil: