• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A super find!
6 6

156 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 7:28 PM, 2Sunny said:

Hmm.  It came back a 9.0 so what say you all now.

1. CCS did a pretty good job of restoring that book.

2. Joey was right (see #2).

3. Don't show that to the large group of people complaining about CGC recently grading their books too harshly.

4. My decision to not buy CGC'd books is justified... yet again.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, 2Sunny said:

Hmm.  It came back a 9.0 so what say you all now.

I still need to see pics of the slab to compare with book you posted or it didnt happen!

On 10/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, shadroch said:

Perhaps, but why spend money improving something only to seal it in plastic? Putting it in a mylar would make a great display piece. It his book and his money. I just don't see the point.

Mylites and fullbacks :luhv:

I will most definitely be cracking this case and then framing this with a couple other CAs I own.  I was more interested in the grade as well as the Clean & Press since it had terrible spine roll and was dirty.  Before I crack the case here are some photos:

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

On 7/9/2022 at 2:40 PM, 2Sunny said:

I will most definitely be cracking this case and then framing this with a couple other CAs I own.  I was more interested in the grade as well as the Clean & Press since it had terrible spine roll and was dirty.  Before I crack the case here are some photos:

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

you showed us-all of us. (worship)

Over the last many months I have sold some of my collection and used the proceeds to add to the series that I enjoy more.  One lesson I have learned and the one that I think is most relevant here is that photos can be poor indicators of flaws OR potential.  Overstreet says a 9.0 can have 4-6 minor flaws.  The larger flaws that this book had were highly amenable to a Clean & Press.  Looking over the slab all I find are 3 spine ticks and extremely minor foxing on the back.  I'll keep looking and try to find more if I can as I have zero reason not to be honest with myself, but so far I've only found the 4 flaws, all minor.  Also, I'm not sure what to make of this, but as I recall the cover did not feel like normal comic cover material, it felt heavier than normal, and I honestly believe (EDIT: or I should say I know) the color (almost white) hides flaws as does the weight of the paper.

Edited by 2Sunny

On 7/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, 2Sunny said:

Over the last many months I have sold some of my collection and used the proceeds to add to the series that I enjoy more.  One lesson I have learned and the one that I think is most relevant here is that photos can be poor indicators of flaws OR potential.  Overstreet says a 9.0 can have 4-6 minor flaws.  The larger flaws that this book had were highly amenable to a Clean & Press.  Looking over the slab all I find are 3 spine ticks and extremely minor foxing on the back.  I'll keep looking and try to find more if I can as I have zero reason not to be honest with myself, but so far I've only found the 4 flaws, all minor.  Also, I'm not sure what to make of this, but as I recall the cover did not feel like normal comic cover material, it felt heavier than normal, and I honestly believe the color (almost white) hides flaws as does the weight of the paper.

the most amazing part is you nailed the grade exactly-even CGC will give different gradesat different times, maybe an 8.5 or a 9.2.  But you hit the nail on the head-9.0.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, shadroch said:

It gets better. Now it is going to be deslabbed and framed.

Is that really all that strange? I've seen a bunch of people here that deslab their graded books and just put them in mylar bags and keep the label inside the bag for reference. I even remember one person making their own custom sort of bag layout for displaying the book with the label and some other information. 

Not that I would ever do that, anything I want to get slabbed is because I want them to stay in a slab, but I thought it wasn't too uncommon that people just send stuff to get graded and then immediately crack it and keep the label handy.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:35 PM, JC25427N said:

Is that really all that strange? I've seen a bunch of people here that deslab their graded books and just put them in mylar bags and keep the label inside the bag for reference. I even remember one person making their own custom sort of bag layout for displaying the book with the label and some other information. 

Not that I would ever do that, anything I want to get slabbed is because I want them to stay in a slab, but I thought it wasn't too uncommon that people just send stuff to get graded and then immediately crack it and keep the label handy.

There are a ton of crackers on this board....