• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You didn’t hear?  CGC will only slab your books if you submit them to one of their many signings now.  They are phasing out the blue label....

This might be the funniest thing you've ever posted. 

Even greggy might give it 1 star. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, Transplant said:

You're right.  It's a little silly.  But, and I hesitate to type this, it is somewhat of the principle of the thing.  Dealers built CGC by submitting, advocating, buying and selling.  Just ignore that for a second.  The question is, why start charging?  Why $200?  Why not $1000?  $200/dealer account isn't going to raise any kind of significant money for CGC, as least not on the comic side.  No idea about coins, cards, etc.  So why do it?  

Dealers have expectations of CGC that already aren't being met.  Now, they're not just supporters, CGC has made them another level of customers.  

Why do it?  1 answer.  It gets a dealer used to paying "something" for the privilege of being a dealer.  Next year or the year after, when it's time to renew that dealer fee, who knows what the prices will be.  And oh, by the way, read that dealer agreement again. 

Anything disparaging CGC is grounds to be terminated as a dealer.  

Wow. All the way to page 4 until “it’s the principle of the matter” gets brought into the mix.

Shame. Shame on you all.

The absolute best part about all of the whining is that whole “CGC is grading INVISIBLE COMICS now!” [clutches pearls] from a week ago is old, old, olllllddddd news, and instead, let’s all sweat the $200 bucks that any normal business just passes on to the customer anyway.

this really is the best stuff

On 1/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, Timely said:
On 1/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, Prince Namor said:

Whoever did the Magazine grading at CGC for the longest time (I don’t know if he’s still there or not - I haven’t submitted in a while - but, my understanding is that he was there for a long, long time), was my favorite grader. 
Man, he was consistent. Almost machine-like. You gotta love that. No surprises. 

If you keep changing graders, you keep changing consistency. It can’t be helped. 

That is Dave C. When I was there he was a very good, solid grader, one of the best. To my knowledge he still works there. @lionsden can confirm.

I think you meant to do this @The Lions Den

On 1/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, Timely said:

That is Dave C. When I was there he was a very good, solid grader, one of the best. To my knowledge he still works there. @lionsden can confirm.

Yes, Dave's still there. One of the best graders in the business!  (thumbsu

On 1/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Go back to the CBCS forums then and stop trolling CGC's.

Go take all your slabs, if you have them in a CGC holder, convert them to CBCS and sell them at auction. Let me know how it works out. :wishluck: if you get an exceptional white pager. Whatever that means.

Oops.  Did I disturb your safe space or do you just tell everyone you disagree with to go away ?

Rhetorical of course... I honestly don't care.   Just ignore me if you're so easily triggered.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, The Lions Den said:
On 1/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, Timely said:

Yes, Dave's still there. One of the best graders in the business!  (thumbsu

Well, if he is, then can they please get him to grade all of the vintage collectible comic books for us.  :wishluck:

I would certainly like to get around to finally having some of my books graded and slabbed, but the seeming inconsistency from what I've seen here makes it look like a big red flag whereby it's really nothing more than a spin of the roulette wheel.  Sadly, my luck is never ever good when it comes to these kinds of things.  :(  :censored:

On 1/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, The Lions Den said:

High value vintage books are generally graded by more experienced graders. And there are certainly many excellent graders working for CGC these days. Personally, I'm more concerned with some of the quality control issues than I am with the grading consistency...  

Yup...

Been saying it... it's not the graders. 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

Wow. All the way to page 4 until “it’s the principle of the matter” gets brought into the mix.

Shame. Shame on you all.

What are you taking about?  Did you have a point? 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, Transplant said:
On 1/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

Shame. Shame on you all.

What are you taking about?  Did you have a point? 

What do you mean?  His point was obvious and very valid........that every article ever written about black holes has to mention the fact that their gravity is so extreme that nothing can escape it, not even light.  Every.  Single.  Article.

Why is that?  Do they think there's some hermit living on Earth somewhere that hasn't heard this little tidbit of information?  For crying out loud.....there are secluded pigmy tribes living on islands that have never been visited by outside humans that know this fact by now.  I think the information was probably relayed to them by dolphins or something.

You disappoint me, Transplant.  I once thought of you as sort of a great grandfather figure, since my last one died 40 years before I was born......but no more. (tsk)

On 1/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, Domo Arigato said:

What do you mean?  His point was obvious and very valid........that every article ever written about black holes has to mention the fact that their gravity is so extreme that nothing can escape it, not even light.  Every.  Single.  Article.

Why is that?  Do they think there's some hermit living on Earth somewhere that hasn't heard this little tidbit of information?  For crying out loud.....there are secluded pigmy tribes living on islands that have never been visited by outside humans that know this fact by now.  I think the information was probably relayed to them by dolphins or something.

You disappoint me, Transplant.  I once thought of you as sort of a great grandfather figure, since my last one died 40 years before I was born......but no more. (tsk)

Pygmy :baiting:

On 1/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, The Lions Den said:

High value vintage books are generally graded by more experienced graders. And there are certainly many excellent graders working for CGC these days. Personally, I'm more concerned with some of the quality control issues than I am with the grading consistency...  

Well, from reading your previous post along with the one from @Timely It sounds as though this Dave C. has not only been there for the longest while, but is also considered by both of you as one of the best graders in the business.  (thumbsu

Sounds to me like he should at least be qualified enough to be given a shot at grading high value vintage books, especially since I feel that consistency is one of the most important attributes to have when it comes to grading.  hm

On 1/17/2022 at 2:28 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, from reading your previous post along with the one from @Timely It sounds as though this Dave C. has not only been there for the longest while, but is also considered by both of you as one of the best graders in the business.  (thumbsu

Sounds to me like he should at least be qualified enough to be given a shot at grading high value vintage books, especially since I feel that consistency is one of the most important attributes to have when it comes to grading.  hm

If his specialty is magazines, and he’s doing a stellar job....why would they move him to comics????