• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 9:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If his specialty is magazines, and he’s doing a stellar job....why would they move him to comics????

There's more money for the business in comics?*

*I'm assuming

On 1/17/2022 at 2:28 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, from reading your previous post along with the one from @Timely It sounds as though this Dave C. has not only been there for the longest while, but is also considered by both of you as one of the best graders in the business.  (thumbsu

Sounds to me like he should at least be qualified enough to be given a shot at grading high value vintage books, especially since I feel that consistency is one of the most important attributes to have when it comes to grading.  hm

I agree...  :)

On 1/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, Transplant said:

What are you taking about?  Did you have a point? 

Its just so weird to know there are people out there that actually believe what you wrote enough to give in to the urge to well, write it (and post it.)

We all need heroes, thank you for your service. :cheers:

On 1/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, from reading your previous post along with the one from @Timely It sounds as though this Dave C. has not only been there for the longest while, but is also considered by both of you as one of the best graders in the business.  (thumbsu

Sounds to me like he should at least be qualified enough to be given a shot at grading high value vintage books, especially since I feel that consistency is one of the most important attributes to have when it comes to grading.  hm

On 1/17/2022 at 3:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If his specialty is magazines, and he’s doing a stellar job....why would they move him to comics????

Well, I was working on the assumption that he would be able to transfer some of his stellar grading skills over to the comic books side even though vintage comic books is a slightly different animal as compared to comic book magazines.  (thumbsu

Of course, on a much more selfish note, since I was thinking of finally having a few of my vintage collectible comic graded and slabbed, I would feel a lot more confident if there was somebody over there that was fully competent and consistent in terms of grading books.  From some of the graded books which I have seen here and from speaking privately to some of the regular submittors who now seem to be backing away from grading their books due to the seeming increased inconsistency, I guess it's going to continue to be nada for me.  Especially when some of them are saying it's getting to be almost like a dartboard with CGC right now.  :facepalm:  :(

Then again, since the quality, accurate, and consistent grading might just be on the comic magazine side right now, maybe I should consider sending in some of my mags, especially with recent results like this one here:  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/savage-tales-1-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7248-95131.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Magazines:Adventure, Savage Tales #1 (Marvel, 1971) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Sold for a rather stunning $37,200 which means that my HG copy should finally be worth slabbing even though I certainly wouldn't expect it to grade this high.  Unlike the seeming dumpster fire in terms of grading inconsistency with the comic books, it sounds as though the chances of getting an more accurate and consistent grade is with the mags right now which is really all you can ask for when you pay good money to have a book graded.  (thumbsu

On 1/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, MCMiles said:

I just wanted to post about how stupid their emails and letters are. Look, just say you’re raising prices or finding a way to take more, don’t try to tell me what you’re doing for me and how much better it's going to be. The service continually cost more and more while the two main things that count (TaTs and QC) get worse and worse. 

I mean, just spare us the BS. 

Much like their announcement I just got the letter yesterday.

First off,  waste of paper, postage and money.  

I'm still waiting to see what I'm getting for my $199

On 1/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I was working on the assumption that he would be able to transfer some of his stellar grading skills over to the comic books side even though vintage comic books is a slightly different animal as compared to comic book magazines.  (thumbsu

Of course, on a much more selfish note, since I was thinking of finally having a few of my vintage collectible comic graded and slabbed, I would feel a lot more confident if there was somebody over there that was fully competent and consistent in terms of grading books.  From some of the graded books which I have seen here and from speaking privately to some of the regular submittors who now seem to be backing away from grading their books due to the seeming increased inconsistency, I guess it's going to continue to be nada for me.  Especially when some of them are saying it's getting to be almost like a dartboard with CGC right now.  :facepalm:  :(

Then again, since the quality, accurate, and consistent grading might just be on the comic magazine side right now, maybe I should consider sending in some of my mags, especially with recent results like this one here:  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/savage-tales-1-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7248-95131.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Magazines:Adventure, Savage Tales #1 (Marvel, 1971) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Sold for a rather stunning $37,200 which means that my HG copy should finally be worth slabbing even though I certainly wouldn't expect it to grade this high.  Unlike the seeming dumpster fire in terms of grading inconsistency with the comic books, it sounds as though the chances of getting an more accurate and consistent grade is with the mags right now which is really all you can ask for when you pay good money to have a book graded.  (thumbsu

Well Lou, please bear in mind that there are some graders who grade both magazines and comics.

At CGC, you never know what may come along that you'll suddenly have to grade. And like anywhere else, people may temporarily be out of the office for personal reasons. So, it's really tough to say which grader will be grading your books on any given day...  hm

Blackstone is very similar to the company I work for.  They look for companies that are:

#1 or a very near #2 in a market space (#2 companies are almost always avoided)

Have a captive customer base with a large barrier to change suppliers

Are very mismanaged (could be charging too little for your product, too much staff, wrong staff, etc.)

CGC was the poster child to be acquired.  My only surprise is they are moving slow at “sweating the product” which basically means squeezing every dime out of the customers.  Look at turn around times - 200+ days for $35 grading fee or just over 20 days for $50.  CGC gets to see will people pay $50 for faster turn.  Once they know that they will likely see if they can take it higher.  I would expect them to do this for every potential revenue stream.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the census data access gets tied to having a membership or even an add on fee.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, batman_fan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the census data access gets tied to having a membership or even an add on fee.

At this stage of the game census data is pretty much useless anyway.  Way too many resubs over the years, plus untold copies slabbed through competitors, plus millions of raw comics still out there... census numbers mean nothing.  CGC would save time and effort by eliminating the census and replacing it with a Gerber-style scarcity index, since nobody would be in a better position to have a feel for rarity over the years.  They might only need to update an issue's perceived scarcity once in a great while if availability changed... save a lot of data inputs and still provide a service.