• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

537 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2022 at 1:53 AM, Will_K said:

I guess it's a pro and a con of the Marvel house style.  Without more context and artist credits, John Buscema could be taken to be Ron Wilson ?

True, especially with Sinnott’s inks , that made John Buscema , Sal Buscema , Buckler, Wilson , Pollard,   Perez and yes also Byrne look very very similar on FF. Still , I might be tricked between Buscema and Pollard (have a look at the Ms Marvel on Clinks …could be Sal or Big John all right ), but John Buscema and Wilson ….nahhh (and me loves some Wilson covers !) 

On 2/19/2022 at 6:36 PM, Timely said:

That really needs to be re-inked correctly before it's lost forever!

I've always wondered/hoped if there was (or will be) some process where vintage/legacy ink could become "re-pigmented" at some microscopic level as a restoration procedure.   Kind of like electroplating.  This is loosely how a laser printer works.  You precisely create charges on the paper that attract the laser toner then fuse the toner to the paper.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:35 AM, romitaman said:

The What IF #1 cover was never considered to be drawn by John Buscema when i owned it 20+ years ago.

Most people felt it was Ron Wilson (and top notch inking....most likely Sinnott)

it is a nice looking cover.

Thank you! I never got a John Buscema vibe off that cover! No idea who actually drew it myself, but I don't get the Buscema attribution.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, stinkininkin said:

Thank you! I never got a John Buscema vibe off that cover! No idea who actually drew it myself, but I don't get the Buscema attribution.

Agreed.

It appears to be Ron doing his usual Romita.  

Not sure if there’s any more OA in queue for this auction, but we’ve surpassed 800 lots thus far and it’s been a while since so many lots were offered.  I’m certain the sales results from the Secret Wars pages has something to do with the increased offerings, but we’ve moved from 4 Signature auctions to 5 per year so I was expecting the volumes to be somewhere in the 550-600 range.

Mind you, I’m not complaining because it’s just so incredible to see so many fantastic pieces available at once.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 2/21/2022 at 8:01 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure if there’s any more OA in queue for this auction, but we’ve surpassed 800 lots thus far and it’s been a while since so many lots were offered.  I’m certain the sales results from the Secret Wars pages has something to do with the increased offerings, but we’ve moved from 4 Signature auctions to 5 per year so I was expecting the volumes to be somewhere in the 550-600 range.

Mind you, I’m not complaining because it’s just so incredible to see so many fantastic pieces available at once.

G-R-E-E-D.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, Rick2you2 said:
On 2/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, tth2 said:

And F-E-A-R

I agree with you, but it is sort of nutty that we can be fearful of not winning an auction for a bit of Bristol Board, with a smidge of ink and pencil on it--for hundreds/thousands/millions of dollars.

I was referring to the consignors' fear of not gettin' out while the gettin's still good.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:37 PM, Rick2you2 said:

… if the market can absorb the high prices. Your wallet may get luckier if it can’t, and it has to back off a little.

Right, but the market always seems to show up with the money when vendors show up with the goods.

Every time I think there is more available than can be absorbed, I'm always wrong, going back many many years.

On 2/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, Bronty said:

Every time I think there is more available than can be absorbed, I'm always wrong, going back many many years.

I'm amazed at what people are selling. I mean, really, for silly, stupid money?

I don't get it (and I'm not being sarcastic).

If you're in need money that bad (it happens), pick up extra hours or add a third job on the weekends? Seriously.

Things are being sold that should never be sold. Ever.