• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 11:09 AM, tth2 said:

I just read on ESPN that a 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Emerald (I'm not making that up) Kobe Bryant card just sold privately for $2m. 

PMG cards are the hottest part of the card market right now. There are some extremely deep pocketed buyers there with more money than sense who just DGAF about blowing 6 and 7 figures on these cards. :facepalm: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 2/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bronty said:

Sure, the more stratospheric the rise the more susceptible to a fall back down.    But to bring this back around to comics/comic art, from what I've seen most comics/comic art never did the 20x thing that cards did; they might be up 2x... but they don't need to fall from 20x to 4x because despite what collectors who only collect comics might think, it hasn't gotten as batshyt crazy in comics as in other markets.     So, I don't see a plummet along Rick2you's comments because the prices didn't go supernova in the first place.

I never said they would plummet. I was thinking something like 10-20%, for the pieces that are more price competitive.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:42 AM, delekkerste said:

PMG cards are the hottest part of the card market right now. There are some extremely deep pocketed buyers there with more money than sense who just DGAF about blowing 6 and 7 figures on these cards. :facepalm: 

Nearly every card show I've been to in the last 12 months has had these 20-30 yr old guys with their black graded card briefcases full of low pop soccer, Prizm basketball PSA RC's, F1 Cards, and random ultra modern FB QB RC's. Its an entire group of people just buying and selling their stuff back and forth to each other, to eventually unload on Instagram or eBay. They have little to no idea who most of these guys are beyond what they glean from other card-bro's. If you want to see the trend in action go to YouTube and just type "card show" and you will get that last months content of just that. Most have been in the "Hobby" for about a year or two when you ask. It's completely unsustainable IMO.

When it comes to PMG's, that seems to be a older more established group pushing those. Same for graded Marvel Metal cards and inserts. Sketches and autos seem to have fallen by the wayside for the love of the parallel. Even raw these cards move very well.

I collect 4 players who mostly are immune from this hype whose cards aren't really down that much from last years highs, but they are starting to look like bargin's now....Anyway sorry to derail to card talk. If you guys ever want to see the sports card equivalent to CGC forum, https://www.blowoutforums.com/

On 2/22/2022 at 12:01 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure if there’s any more OA in queue for this auction, but we’ve surpassed 800 lots thus far and it’s been a while since so many lots were offered.  I’m certain the sales results from the Secret Wars pages has something to do with the increased offerings, but we’ve moved from 4 Signature auctions to 5 per year so I was expecting the volumes to be somewhere in the 550-600 range.

Mind you, I’m not complaining because it’s just so incredible to see so many fantastic pieces available at once.

I think prices for many of these OA bronze covers won't be records and could be softer than anticipated.

For sure it's sellers trying to cash in on the 3.3 million sale and perceived ongoing crazy record prices.

I think there is just too much quality grail level material being offered at the same time

It's going to be super interesting to see final prices