• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane discussion and appreciation thread. Lets see those covers!
4 4

292 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

CGC doing a McFarlane signing in November.  What’s the best cover to get signed, and what color ink?

as a comic forum, I'll discuss comics with you :cheers:

the "best" would be up to you! :headbang: You've been around long enough to know criteria for stuff, and it's cool, cause so has McFarlane; whether it be, 1st published, 1st on title, his created characters and so on :foryou:

If you mean to ask, what are "we considering?" it's a roll of the dice for me, he waited too long in my case to do another signing, all my raws are slabbed or gone. :) 

Still if pressed there is one that I was considering that was free to me, but it being 9.6 older gen label has me contemplating. It also being at the end of a run that I started with signature series, I'm tempted. With all the issues in comics general it can wilt, building back trust and confidence takes times. I'm not as gutsy most of the time, but I have some feelers because it isn't such a new field for me :wishluck: still is :ohnoez: I can take it or leave it ^^

On 9/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

as a comic forum, I'll discuss comics with you :cheers:

the "best" would be up to you! :headbang: You've been around long enough to know criteria for stuff, and it's cool, cause so has McFarlane; whether it be, 1st published, 1st on title, his created characters and so on :foryou:

If you mean to ask, what are "we considering?" it's a roll of the dice for me, he waited too long in my case to do another signing, all my raws are slabbed or gone. :) 

Still if pressed there is one that I was considering that was free to me, but it being 9.6 older gen label has me contemplating. It also being at the end of a run that I started with signature series, I'm tempted. With all the issues in comics general it can wilt, building back trust and confidence takes times. I'm not as gutsy most of the time, but I have some feelers because it isn't such a new field for me :wishluck: still is :ohnoez: I can take it or leave it ^^

Thanks.  I was just asking which covers would you guys consider to be the best looking signed, and what ink would look best on them.  I know a lot of McFarlane's covers are rather busy, and aren't conducive to signatures, or the signature may get lost within the busy cover. For example; to me ASM 301 would look good signed in blue or black ink since there is a lot of white on the cover. My intent was to hopefully see some signed books which I thought looked well done with Todd's signature on it, not an attempt to run a coup on McFarlane sigs and later sell for billions.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Thanks.  I was just asking which covers would you guys consider to be the best looking signed, and what ink would look best on them.  I know a lot of McFarlane's covers are rather busy, and aren't conducive to signatures, or the signature may get lost within the busy cover. For example; to me ASM 301 would look good signed in blue or black ink since there is a lot of white on the cover. My intent was to hopefully see some signed books which I thought looked well done with Todd's signature on it, not an attempt to run a coup on McFarlane sigs and later sell for billions.

Bingo #301 is what I was considering as well, I have #298 SS'd, but I think if I'm honest, I have the run starting at #298 in 9.8 except #301 is 9.6. I could discuss the grading currently at cgc as tight and I'm not sure if I want to put myself through it all.

Tight fit covers are common for McFarlane on ASM I know, but I assume you already own some? I'd look at what you have and decide, but if affordability isn't a concern? Then take it to heart that grading is tight with moderns and used to be with copper as well, so it may help narrow done the cost/grade/desirability/busy cover/ risk management!!

That's a mouthful! Cypress Hill

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

To that point @Mr.Fantastic

Here is #298 in blue, my copy, we're like minded all the way 😂 sometimes open minds for sig series is best found in that forum

3693050_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/24/2022 at 8:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bingo #301 is what I was considering as well, I have #298 SS'd, but I think if I'm honest, I have the run starting at #298 in 9.8 except #301 is 9.6. I could discuss the grading currently at cgc as tight and I'm not sure if I want to put myself through it all.

Tight fit covers are common for McFarlane on ASM I know, but I assume you already own some? I'd look at what you have and decide, but if affordability isn't a concern? Then take it to heart that grading is tight with moderns and used to be with copper as well, so it may help narrow done the cost/grade/desirability/busy cover/ risk management!!

That's a mouthful! Cypress Hill

Yes, I have most of the ASM McFarlane run, and after browsing through it I am considering #301, 304, 305, 307, 308,310, 311, 316,& 325 as well as some Infinity and Hulk covers.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:50 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Yes, I have most of the ASM McFarlane run, and after browsing through it I am considering #301, 304, 305, 307, 308,310, 311, 316,& 325 as well as some Infinity and Hulk covers.

Awesome! I tried to keep the coyote 11, 12 , or 23 raw, 1st published, but it's a wash, I already had a blue label.

Imo the hits are asm, while I respect his other work I'm just not as familiar with it. :(

That's on me, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Some nice covers out there, but I get that time and budget is "limited" to a point, deadline is in Nov. :)

On 9/24/2022 at 8:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome! I tried to keep the coyote 11, 12 , or 23 raw, 1st published, but it's a wash, I already had a blue label.

Imo the hits are asm, while I respect his other work I'm just not as familiar with it. :(

That's on me, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Some nice covers out there, but I get that time and budget is "limited" to a point, deadline is in Nov. :)

Yep, that November deadline is getting closer and I still haven't decided.  Frankly, I'm not a big collector of signature books and mainly consider myself a bronze collector with an affinity for Todd's work (Hence one of the reason's I started this thread). At one time I was considering trying to collect all his covers up to Spawn #1, and while that is still a goal I haven't bought many in the past few months focusing on other areas.