• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you content with your collection?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

I only have 5 pieces of OA, so I'm not even sure if I have a collection, let alone one I am content with.  I do love all of my pieces, however, so I guess I'm fine, but I have another dozen or more on the want list, so we're not done yet.  So long as I'm breathing, I suppose I'll want something more for my collection.  It is supremely fun.

Dan

I'm pretty good. I still buy art and look for art, but I took 3-4 years off without buying anything and it was really good for me. I was caught up in the chase far too much and I realized it. I think I have more fun with the hobby now, or at least stress-free fun.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

100%…until I see the next page I want. My wife pats me on the head when I say I’m content, and gives me a “How cute.” I guess that’s better than a boot in the rear, and a dirty scowl.:headpat:

The alternative, which in my case I would have heartily recommended, would be to boot your wife. Mine didn’t get around to replacing a sump pump when it was needed. The resultant flood destroyed a number of my pieces, and damaged some others. And so, “the hunger” never ends.🤬

On 6/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The alternative, which in my case I would have heartily recommended, would be to boot your wife. Mine didn’t get around to replacing a sump pump when it was needed. The resultant flood destroyed a number of my pieces, and damaged some others. And so, “the hunger” never ends.🤬

Ouch! Sorry, man. I once lost a bunch of collectibles and books to a River of Poo after a move. If you ever have an home inspector suggest flushing the water heater in a house that has laid dormant for many months, run away and don’t look back. I did not leave that dude a happy message.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, pkveronese said:

I'm pretty good. I still buy art and look for art, but I took 3-4 years off without buying anything and it was really good for me. I was caught up in the chase far too much and I realized it. I think I have more fun with the hobby now, or at least stress-free fun.

That sounds like really good advice. The last year or so I have definitely been a little too focused on chasing pieces. There's a dark side to this hobby and I'm pretty sure it can financially ruin you if you don't exercise restraint. At some point, I too will need to take a couple of years off, just to refocus myself if anything else.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Ouch! Sorry, man. I once lost a bunch of collectibles and books to a River of Poo after a move. If you ever have an home inspector suggest flushing the water heater in a house that has laid dormant for many months, run away and don’t look back. I did not leave that dude a happy message.

Here, she knew better. She decided to buy some F’ng fugly sconces, which she naturally had time to shop for, rather than this. Ever see a Spirit page melt, as droplets of water/ink ran down when it was picked up? One with a clever masthead on it, too. I moved out about a month later.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Here, she knew better. She decided to buy some F’ng fugly sconces, which she naturally had time to shop for, rather than this. Ever see a Spirit page melt, as droplets of water/ink ran down when it was picked up? One with a clever masthead on it, too. I moved out about a month later.

Brutal. I’m very lucky I’ve never lost anything that nice to damage. 

On 6/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, New School Fool said:

That sounds like really good advice. The last year or so I have definitely been a little too focused on chasing pieces. There's a dark side to this hobby and I'm pretty sure it can financially ruin you if you don't exercise restraint. At some point, I too will need to take a couple of years off, just to refocus myself if anything else.

It was really great - I really enjoy the hobby more now. I know I missed out on some stuff, but I also didn't trade/sell some stuff I might have as well.