• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 1:50 AM, Red84 said:

@CGC Mike

I would like CGC to explain how ANYONE other than someone intending to scam and defraud a buyer benefits from CGC no longer writing the single but extremely important word “incomplete” on the label. Who benefits from removing the notation “centerfold detached”?

It takes no additional work to have “incomplete” on the label. 
Removing the word “incomplete” from the label serves ONE purpose—it makes an incomplete book appear like a complete book. 
Removing “detached centerfold” from the label makes a detached book appear to be a structurally sound book.  
It puts uneducated buyers, and even sophisticated buyers who may not be aware of the policy change, at higher risk of being defrauded. 

This is not a new goofy custom label or a font change; this is a direct assault on the primary purpose of a CGC book, transparency to facilitate transactions. 
As a buyer I can no longer rely on the CGC label. CGC is no longer in the authentication and grading business. It is only in the expensive plastic case business. 

A truly shockingly stupid decision. 

I tried to state something like this in a longwinded, rambling post earlier that apparently disappeared into the ether. (shrug)  Very well said. :applause:

On 5/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Parameters Modified for Defects Listed on CGC Labels

Posted on 5/25/2022

Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, not as many defects will be listed on the certification label.

Based on feedback from prominent members of the collecting community, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is implementing a change that will reduce the number of defects that are identified on the comic book label.

Traditionally, certain defects were listed on the CGC label if they were present on a certified comic book, which were also recorded in the comic book’s Grader Notes. Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, this redundancy is being eliminated from the label for the presence of the following defects:

Stickers

Siamese pages

Punch holes

Staples added after manufacturing

Staples removed

Detachments

Fully split spine

Tape

Significant missing parts from the cover

Lamination

Miscuts

Puzzles or coupons filled out

CGC will continue to identify on the label any significant missing pieces, pages, wraps or inserts from the interior of a comic. Each comic book’s grade will reflect all missing parts, and those missing parts will be recorded in the Grader Notes.

CGC is discontinuing the use of the term “incomplete” on its label, as well as the terms “affects story” and “does not affect story” when parts are missing from the interior of a comic.

The CGC label will continue to display restoration, conservation and qualifiers as we have in the past, including married parts, color copies, wrong parts, coverless comics, individual wraps and pages, multiple covers, additional inserts and unverified signatures on the cover.

Related Links

CGC Grader Notes

CGC Grader Notes for Comics Now Available for Free with Associate and Higher Memberships

star-trek-reacts-19.jpg.221b2882ea88df69f1a64be24245ac5d.jpg

On 5/25/2022 at 12:15 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

As a Florida Man, I can say that CGC made this decision on their own.

Florida has no part in this stupidity. 

Now if it is a naked guy on the hood of a semi truck strung out on meth and playing with a pickle, sure, but not this trash CGC has decided.  

i call Florida the "hold my beer" state. 

Not sure if anyone else had said this already but I think that this may be to create yet another revenue stream…. I’m definitely not an industry anything… just a collector trying to finish a set and collect books I enjoy, I don’t sell.

Having said that, I sent the below book in back when Classics was still around… they missed restoration so I sent it back for free removal. It came back Universal but with this same note on the Label… 

9A376028-1AAE-4FCC-A881-5EB5FB7E81EB.thumb.jpeg.ea32dccb4b630b30912e199e67931b41.jpeg

This is one of my favorite books and this note has always irritated me.  I’ve been wanting to get it reholdered for awhile so it would present better.

I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT, for an average collector like myself I am now more likely to send this in for reholder if I can get this note moved to the Grader Notes vice on the Label.

CGC knows this… why allow collectors to have a product that is ‘one and done’ sitting in their collections when they can create points in the collectibles life where someone will want to send it back in and spend more money?  This is no different than updating a holder or coming out with more gimmicky custom labels every few years.

Spoiler

D281407D-1BB1-42B6-B616-4FE9C7D11DC9.thumb.jpeg.e94c5b2ccd312fb22f70c759159b8ece.jpeg

Edited by Iconic1s

On 5/27/2022 at 11:18 AM, Iconic1s said:

Not sure if anyone else had said this already but I think that this may be to create yet another revenue stream…. I’m definitely not an industry anything… just a collector trying to finish a set and collect books I enjoy, I don’t sell.

Having said that, I sent the below book in back when Classics was still around… they missed restoration so I sent it back for free removal. It came back Universal but with this same note on the Label… 

9A376028-1AAE-4FCC-A881-5EB5FB7E81EB.thumb.jpeg.ea32dccb4b630b30912e199e67931b41.jpeg

This is one of my favorite books and this note has always irritated me.  I’ve been wanting to get it reholdered for awhile so it would present better.

I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT, for a nobody collector like myself I am now more likely to send this in for reholder if I can get this note moved to the Grader Notes vice on the Label.

CGC knows this… why allow collectors to have a product that is ‘one and done’ sitting in their collections when they can create points in the collectibles life where someone will want to send it back in?  This is no different than updating a holder or coming out with more god awful custom labels every few years.

Reveal hidden contents

D281407D-1BB1-42B6-B616-4FE9C7D11DC9.thumb.jpeg.e94c5b2ccd312fb22f70c759159b8ece.jpeg

But if the goal is to get regular collectors to resub and get the notes removed, why not move the notes to the back of the label? Like the PQ use to be?

Then you are being transparent and can get your money from people wanting to remove the notes? 

On 5/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, KCOComics said:

But if the goal is to get regular collectors to resub and get the notes removed, why not move the notes to the back of the label? Like the PQ use to be?

Then you are being transparent and can get your money from people wanting to remove the notes? 

I agree with you 100%. I wasn’t agreeing with CGC on this, just saying I think at least part of this is about resub money… another part may be the time/money cut down when entering the note on the Label.

It’s all about the money at this point… obviously not about collectors… TATs are more evidence of this. 

Edited by Iconic1s

On 5/27/2022 at 11:40 AM, KCOComics said:

That's not removing, that's relocating. 

Anyone willing to pay for note removal is up to no good.  Having no notes is their goal.   If the notes are still there, just on the back where they can still be seen, there is no benefit to a seller. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, Sigur Ros said:

That's not removing, that's relocating. 

Anyone willing to pay for note removal is up to no good.  Having no notes is their goal.   If the notes are still there, just on the back where they can still be seen, there is no benefit to a dishonest seller. 

FTFY

On 5/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Anyone willing to pay for note removal is up to no good. 

I can only speak for myself. Again, not saying that this is right or good, but in my case I don’t think I’m up to no good  as I only want it to present better in my collection, not intending to sell or deceive anyone.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, CGC Mike said:

As Matt mentioned in a follow up post I made, Centerfolds detached below 5.5 will no longer be listed on the label.  

So, extrapolating this to its logical conclusion, a book at 5.0 can have a detached centerfold? That's an old school VG/F and you just made me some money.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:17 AM, NWOslave said:
On 5/25/2022 at 12:15 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

As a Florida Man, I can say that CGC made this decision on their own.

Florida has no part in this stupidity. 

Now if it is a naked guy on the hood of a semi truck strung out on meth and playing with a pickle, sure, but not this trash CGC has decided.  

i call Florida the "hold my beer" state.

Yeah.. well most here if you hand them your beer not only will they drink it, but race you to do whatever you were going to do while someone held your beer.