• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, wolviefrk said:

Totally saving this to my funky 180 181 covers and cutouts folder lmao

181 no wolvie.jpg

At least yours still has wolvie torso on the first page  :roflmao:

:takeit:

On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, bc said:

No, anyone can look up any number.

Just checked with a random slab on ebay.

-bc

Just checked. of course you can verify any book but if you do not have the bare minimum paid account you can not get the notes. at least that is what it tells me when i tried just now.  I can get a buddy to look them up that has a paid account so  no worries lol

image.png

On 5/27/2022 at 5:46 PM, wolviefrk said:

Just checked. of course you can verify any book but if you do not have the bare minimum paid account you can not get the notes. at least that is what it tells me when i tried just now.  I can get a buddy to look them up that has a paid account so  no worries lol

Can I find 24 other members out there interested in splitting a basic account 25 ways?  :P

I will give CGC credit for at least one thing: Free speech. Try being even slightly negative on their boards about what the er... Distinguished Competition is doing and you'll get a torrent of "Hey, man don't burn your bridge!".

This is how I felt about that:

ShallowGleamingGraywolf-size_restricted.gif.2f462a4bd88e7f4845c3e9e5a519faee.gif

Edited by trademarkcomics
Typo

On 5/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I consider him Dr. Frankenstein. He (helped) create the monster, but now it's just out of his hands. :wink:

I think he'll be a much happier fellow now.

Culture starts at the top

After spending time on their forums, and seen his own comments, nothing bodes well where he goes, from the look of things

MCS is a different venue, I feel they have the fortitude to use his strengths, guess time will tell

On 5/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I consider him Dr. Frankenstein. He (helped) create the monster, but now it's just out of his hands. :wink:

I think he'll be a much happier fellow now.

Maybe he sees the demise of comic encapsulation coming, and figured MCS would be a safe place to be when raw books come back in style. :cool:

On 5/27/2022 at 7:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe he sees the demise of comic encapsulation coming, and figured MCS would be a safe place to be when raw books come back in style. :cool:

I think there needs to be a huge scandal for the professional grading thing to go away. Bad business decisions won’t be enough. There are plenty of mismanaged companies that continue to exist(some even thrive). The corporation called the United States of America proves that every day. :preach:

On 5/27/2022 at 10:09 PM, The Meta said:

Culture starts at the top

After spending time on their forums, and seen his own comments, nothing bodes well where he goes, from the look of things

MCS is a different venue, I feel they have the fortitude to use his strengths, guess time will tell

Yup. He's the worst - I've personally received comments from him when I was contacting CBCS about an issue I was having (books stuck with them for almost 2 years). I didn't expect the literal CEO of the company to tell me it wasn't their problem and to live with it. Haven't used them since.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:25 AM, FlyingDonut said:

So, extrapolating this to its logical conclusion, a book at 5.0 can have a detached centerfold? That's an old school VG/F and you just made me some money.

An externally mint-looking book can have a detached centerfold. So I wonder if any such book is now going to be a 5.0 at best, with no label notes explaining why?

This will be super-convenient when you go to some guy's house to make an offer on his bulk collection of CGC'd books. 'Hey buddy, it's just going to take me 5 hours hours to go through your collection and check the online notes for them all. I hope you didn't have other plans for today.'

On 5/28/2022 at 5:37 AM, NP_Gresham said:

Seems ready-made for the seller who was taping all those GA consignment books.

When they mention “prominent” members, I immediately think of their shenanigans

They actually said 'prominent COLLECTORS' when it's obviously not a single collector who wants this at all.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup. He's the worst - I've personally received comments from him when I was contacting CBCS about an issue I was having (books stuck with them for almost 2 years). I didn't expect the literal CEO of the company to tell me it wasn't their problem and to live with it. Haven't used them since.

That's disappointing to hear. 

I know people who have worked for him and they've always said really positive things.