• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your progress on 2022 CGC signings?
11 11

1,042 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, DravinClaw said:

What is with the lack of graders notes these days?

My Campbell 9.8 cracked came back a 9.6. No notes, no issues just a 9.6. Im certain that starting a year ago 9.6 became the new 9.8 and grades as a whole have gotten lower. 

On 9/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, ShaggyB said:

Mine arrived today.... cgc 9.2 and NO GRADER NOTES??????

Atleast Bagley honored my request on the remarque. Bendis sig is like mine.... lol not readable. I can relate.

CGC4287595-001_OBV@500x797.jpg.195e3e1d87a4ab0aaecab317fc198885.jpg

Value wise, i see cgc 9.2 ss all over the place on ebay (as low as 800 to high as 1500) but i think its $1000 (most are below $1000) so thats $155 to press and re-grade.

I might send it this weekend. Though im curious when the next Clayton Crain signing might be as i might should just wait for that as his sig would be nice to have.

Any thoughts gang?

Why risk it for Crain if it may come back lower. Personally I would get rid of it or send for a press. The faded Bendis signature would me off as you paid how much for a signature and they can’t even take the time to change to a new/working marker? Dont act like that is acceptable as these guys are making tons of $$ of these signings. If it were me it would go up on ebay and id cut my losses. Has me thinking twice about these signings for sure.

On 9/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, dbcn said:

I too am victim to thinking a high-grade book submitted for a signing but not pressing would come back with a high grade : / 

I had a 3rd party presser press a brand new, sparkling book just to be safe, they sent it in, and I just got the grade today: 8.5 with 'light cover creasing' - there is zero chance this book was not a 9.6/9.8 before the signing, so it seems like somebody punted it over to Bagley rather than simply handing it to him. 

Back for a pressing it goes :facepalm:

High grade books should not have to be pressed. If its a 9.8 then it should come back a 9.8 unless some obvious damage was done. A 9.8 grade is near mint/mint so there are things like spine ticks that still make it a 9.8. For the record a press will likely get a 9.6 to a 9.8 or at least it should however I have gotten thick books back with recessed staples when going this route. Came back a 9.8 from a 9.6 but looked awful. A tale of caution with CCS…

On 9/26/2023 at 12:04 PM, Gator Guru said:

A tale of caution with CCS

No doubt. But I think, to your point, high grade books shouldn't need to be pressed, yet apparently the only way to try to retain the higher grade after a signing seems to be that you have to press it, otherwise your 9.8 comes back an 8.5. So, somewhere, along the line, the books are being damaged which is not great. 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, dbcn said:

No doubt. But I think, to your point, high grade books shouldn't need to be pressed, yet apparently the only way to try to retain the higher grade after a signing seems to be that you have to press it, otherwise your 9.8 comes back an 8.5. So, somewhere, along the line, the books are being damaged which is not great. 

An 8.5 is nuts however with the documented QC issues is there any surprise that the in-house pack-em-in signings are going to also have quality control issues of their own?

Piggy backing on that, they have officially published the grading standards now, if the grades continue to vary from the standards they should refund everyone who bought the CGC book because it’s clearly not accurate.(side note, I’ve really only had one major issue with grading in the past two years, but I’ve seen enough in the community to be concerned.  I submitted over 200 books last year and have only submitted 30 ish this year due to these reoccurring concerns).

On 9/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, Gator Guru said:

Why risk it for Crain if it may come back lower. Personally I would get rid of it or send for a press. The faded Bendis signature would me off as you paid how much for a signature and they can’t even take the time to change to a new/working marker? Dont act like that is acceptable as these guys are making tons of $$ of these signings. If it were me it would go up on ebay and id cut my losses. Has me thinking twice about these signings for sure.

Ehh. I paid $3.99 plus tax minus 30% discount for the comic when it came out. Im totally happy with the sig but to get it pressed id have to pay min $300 or 8% FMV for press and regrade. At that cost i can get Crain + press and regrade... and pay less.

As othets have noted, i should have had it pressed due to the poly bag it was in. I didnt think about it and thats my bad.

Not too worried with it. Its one of my 2 my personal copies. Id keep it regardless of the grade. If i wanted a 9.8 that bad id part with $1,500 to $3,000 and get one. 

My beef on it is the lack of grader notes to describe why it got 9.2. I cant make an educated decision on whether a pressing will make a difference or not. And if im gonna pay $300 to get regrade and press, im getting another sig on it and both those things.

Ps.

Bendis sig is darker in person than the pic, i honestly had to look and see what you were talking about.

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, Gator Guru said:

An 8.5 is nuts however with the documented QC issues is there any surprise that the in-house pack-em-in signings are going to also have quality control issues of their own?

To be fair, thats likely more him saying 8.5 for effect than an actual 9.8 coming back 8.5.

It does appear that to send a 9.8 and get a 9.8 back, you do need to press it.

My Superman #75 is in that boat. The 1 note by the grader is a "slight" bend. I dont see it but ok a press will fix it.

It does mean the peeps handling books and getting them to signer and then to grading are not handling with care, as that bend wasnt in the 9.8 notes, so they caused it.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:25 PM, ShaggyB said:

Ps.

Bendis sig is darker in person than the pic, i honestly had to look and see what you were talking about.

Still awaiting results myself, and I'm sure the less I think about it lol

The faster it'll happen I hope

Spoiler

I do see what he is saying as the cover there is lighter in color, but it feels like the color of the cover still shines through the markselot.

Not bad, but I get it, although I know most facilitators do a good job on things like that, I've seen the complaint with "them" as cgc, that is to say one or two may slip through before finally changing markers. This early on in results the jury is still out. Itll pass, as it happens, imo, and the black in miles mask is sufficient for the whole thing. I'd be "satisfied" at least. For all I know it is a Grey tone marker to blend on purpose, rather than a standard black sharpie, but not knocking it.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230926_193153_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/26/2023 at 8:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I do see what he is saying as the cover there is lighter in color, but it feels like the color of the cover still shines through the markselot.

Not bad, but I get it, although I know most facilitators do a good job on things like that, I've seen the complaint with "them" as cgc, that is to say one or two may slip through before finally changing markers. This early on in results the jury is still out. Itll pass, as it happens, imo, and the black in miles mask is sufficient for the whole thing. I'd be "satisfied" at least. For all I know it is a Grey tone marker to blend on purpose, rather than a standard black sharpie, but not knocking it.

Still awaiting results myself, and I'm sure the less I think about it lol

The faster it'll happen I hope

Screenshot_20230926_193153_Samsung Internet.jpg

I guess...

Still darker in person, looks more like he wasnt pressing down as firmly as other peeps ive seen.

20230926_204213.jpg

I have it in a clear bag here and its still darker than it appears im pics

Edited by ShaggyB

On 9/26/2023 at 7:43 PM, ShaggyB said:

I guess...

Still darker in person, looks more like he wasnt pressing down as firmly as other peeps ive seen.

20230926_204213.jpg

Amen! Sorry to make you take a better pic, I had just edited my post, cause it looks fine. I think bagley and bendis were just using different markers, with contrast etc, but it isn't bad. I think the remarque sketch with the blacker ink for the mask stands out, which might be by design for their teams up.

In short too much to consider to call it bad quality, and is fine. :)

I'm just as nervous, and I hope you're satisfied, because you're also weighing decisions lol

It's just. :ohnoez: until I get results to inspect. Don't mean to spill milk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just believe me it ain't bad, here is an example of what I consider "bad!"

Problem is, I knew this would grade higher than the other book I sent in for sketch with Neal...

I liked the cover at the time, and hinted in the suggestion box to not cover up the art but somehow blend the remarque in, be careful what you ask for. 

You can tilt it in person, but straight on for the camera, oye, I mean it's there the Batman profile sketch bottom left of the boat. I don't think anyone but me would want it but me, and now not only because of the grade.  (In defense I was going through a lower grade for sketch phase, and had it lying around, still not sure what I've committed too lol )

3971287_Full_Obv.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 8:43 PM, ShaggyB said:

I guess...

20230926_204213.jpg

I have it in a clear bag here and its still darker than it appears im pics

Its not bad at all but the Bagley sig makes it look worse than what it is. Im way too particular, especially since there are signings going on every week at cgc. It makes me think if I dont have a perfectly signed copy then I will easily find one and for a lot less sometime down the road. 

On 9/27/2023 at 9:32 AM, Gator Guru said:

Its not bad at all but the Bagley sig makes it look worse than what it is. Im way too particular, especially since there are signings going on every week at cgc. It makes me think if I dont have a perfectly signed copy then I will easily find one and for a lot less sometime down the road. 

Sending my superman 75 back due to not seeing one that matches mine on ebay

Ah well

On 9/28/2023 at 12:49 PM, Miketaylorwork said:

Super jealous!  Did you get them pressed, mine have been stuck in SFG for what seems like forever.

yes I pressed :) still came back 9.0 when consensus in spare a grade was 9.4 with a press.