• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your progress on 2022 CGC signings?
12 12

963 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, waynemel said:
On 8/22/2023 at 3:32 PM, Gator Guru said:

I think Campbell signed some books

as mine no longer says scheduled for grading and now says grading/encapsulation. 

I wonder if perhaps those are from SDCC drop off signing, is it?  The CGC SS is not due till Oct

On 8/22/2023 at 7:41 PM, ShaggyB said:

Mine just got there this morning. So they need to check them in and charge my card. But hopefully he is signing them along the way.

I vaguely remember talk of this as well, is good to know there is movement, and yet it was somehow approved that some tale place at sdcc. Vaguely recalled, I guess unless yours moved its easy to forget lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, waynemel said:

I wonder if perhaps those are from SDCC drop off signing, is it?  The CGC SS is not due till Oct

As a followup I reached out to CGC and they said nope it has not happened yet and thats just the next step in the process essentially. Thus means there will not be an update until likely right before they are in QC. (A really long-time)

@CGC Mike

Is there a challenge process? And if not how do i submit for regrade with pressing?

Grader note says "small bend left top of back cover".... i see no bendCGC4282529-001_REV@500x782.jpg.8b0cf217d526d900a039354397cdf00d.jpg

I see nothing on the front either

CGC4282529-001_OBV@500x782.jpg.71c6ba04d34716e0183d59b0d8a49488.jpg

Looking at the official cgc guide

20230823_170656.thumb.jpg.4e5457dcb0162e3dba65374a0ac6d9e6.jpg

20230823_170707.thumb.jpg.69f53b3b9b4683edbdee80136dfbcd73.jpg

page 276, 9.8 grade... i see the following:

20230823_170418.thumb.jpg.896ff4ff7474250ba33739678011ea95.jpg

Edited by ShaggyB

• Administrator
On 8/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, ShaggyB said:

@CGC Mike

Is there a challenge process? And if not how do i submit for regrade with pressing?

Grader note says "small bend left top of back cover".... i see no bend

Not all small bends are visible looking through the case.  I do not believe there is a challenge process for this.  I found this post from Customer Service on how to get a SS book pressed and regraded.  It is 3 years old.   

image.png

On 8/23/2023 at 8:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

Not all small bends are visible looking through the case.  I do not believe there is a challenge process for these.  I found this post from Customer Service on how to get a SS book pressed and regraded.  It is 3 years old.   

image.png

Thanks.

I still feel the one note from the grader does not warrant a 9.6 by cgc guidelines.

I am allowed 2 and it only mentions 1. Was it a new grader or is your guide book wrong.... or do you not write everything??

Edited by ShaggyB

• Administrator
On 8/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, ShaggyB said:

Thanks.

I still feel the one note from the grader does not warrant a 9.6 by cgc guidelines.

I am allowed 2 and it only mentions 1. Was it a new grader or is your guide book wrong.... or do you not write everything??

Everything is not always mentioned.  Many times, there are no graders notes listed.  Especially for a 9.6

I don't know that I've ever gotten a grader note on a 9.6. Heck, I've got multiple 9.0's and 9.2's without any notes. Seems like notes are a crapshoot. Sucks though, and sorry for your grade drop. I had a Detective 1000 that had been signed several times and graded as a 9.8 twice, then when it got cracked to add Paul Dini at a CGC Signing event, it came back as a 9.2. So, no guarantee of anything when you are getting a slab cracked unfortunately. But that risk is everywhere. I had a 9.8 Infinity Gauntlet 1 cracked to add George Perez to it a year or so before he passed. It came back as a 9.2 with a small tear on the bottom of the cover. Looked like it must've got the tear when it was being taken out of the case. So, definitely no guarantee's when getting a slab cracked that it will come back the same. 

Edited by Skippeydoo

On 8/24/2023 at 7:37 AM, CGC Mike said:

Everything is not always mentioned.  Many times, there are no graders notes listed.  Especially for a 9.6

Can i recommend that be the big change you guys shoot for.... detailed notes from the grader on anything below a perfect 10.

Im left to decide if pressing is the right move to make to get this back to its 9.8 state and it looks perfect... so im not really sure if in waste'n time and money or if its totally worth doing.

Edited by ShaggyB

On 8/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Skippeydoo said:

I don't know that I've ever gotten a grader note on a 9.6. Heck, I've got multiple 9.0's and 9.2's without any notes. Seems like notes are a crapshoot. Sucks though, and sorry for your grade drop. I had a Detective 1000 that had been signed several times and graded as a 9.8 twice, then when it got cracked to add Paul Dini at a CGC Signing event, it came back as a 9.2. So, no guarantee of anything when you are getting a slab cracked unfortunately. But that risk is everywhere. I had a 9.8 Infinity Gauntlet 1 cracked to add George Perez to it a year or so before he passed. It came back as a 9.2 with a small tear on the bottom of the cover. Looked like it must've got the tear when it was being taken out of the case. So, definitely no guarantee's when getting a slab cracked that it will come back the same. 

Id want the insurance paid out on that as its damaged

Edited by ShaggyB

Agreed, something that at least notes something tangible for a grade.  With the price bumps in service there should be some transparency with grading where a .2 difference can be thousands of dollars in losses or gains for a subscriber. I love CGC and their services, but like what is the QC step?  It doesn't seem to do anything except take time.  I have quite a few 9.6 that I've broken out and even after removing from the case they look perfect, I have one 9.8 that is a straight dog and should be a 8.0, none of them have any notes.  I have another 9.8 that has notes like slight creasing to cover, which if anything makes less sense because if that's a 9.8, than what is a 9.6?  And don't get me started on all these direct 10s and 9.9s I've been seeing coming out from places like Bry's Comics and Comic Mint.  They all look 100% the same.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, Gator Guru said:

As a followup I reached out to CGC and they said nope it has not happened yet and thats just the next step in the process essentially. Thus means there will not be an update until likely right before they are in QC. (A really long-time)

J Scott Campbell signed my comic 4 days ago. I called CGC and they let me know this. Apparently he is signing some now so he doesn’t have a ton after the cutoff date in October. Its the first time I have heard if a signing before the cutoff date. Regardless its cool, im ok with it and its already in grading/quality control.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:55 PM, Miketaylorwork said:

Agreed, something that at least notes something tangible for a grade.  With the price bumps in service there should be some transparency with grading where a .2 difference can be thousands of dollars in losses or gains for a subscriber. I love CGC and their services, but like what is the QC step?  It doesn't seem to do anything except take time.  I have quite a few 9.6 that I've broken out and even after removing from the case they look perfect, I have one 9.8 that is a straight dog and should be a 8.0, none of them have any notes.  I have another 9.8 that has notes like slight creasing to cover, which if anything makes less sense because if that's a 9.8, than what is a 9.6?  And don't get me started on all these direct 10s and 9.9s I've been seeing coming out from places like Bry's Comics and Comic Mint.  They all look 100% the same.

This is about as correct as it gets and why if you really want it then wait for it to pop up on ebay in 9.8. Also why you dont send in 9.8s for signings as they may very well come back 9.6 or 9.4. 

On 8/24/2023 at 11:25 PM, Gator Guru said:

This is about as correct as it gets and why if you really want it then wait for it to pop up on ebay in 9.8. Also why you dont send in 9.8s for signings as they may very well come back 9.6 or 9.4. 

I agree with this now. Sadly, this wasn't always the case though. I know I haven't been in the grading game long, coming up on 6 years now. But first 4-5 years, if you sent in a 9.8, without pressing, for a signing, it would come back as a 9.8 99.9% of the time. Same with a 9.6. Last year to year and a half, you can send it a 9.8 and pay to have it pressed, and it still feels like its a 50/50 spoon shoot if it will come back the same. Not sure if the grading has just gotten more strict, or the graders now are not on the same page, or if they just aren't being handled as safely as before due to volume. I just know that something has changed that has got me to not send in any graded comic with any decent value for the signature series cause it will just come back worse.   

Edited by Skippeydoo

I hate to say that I agree, but I agree.  For bigger books, I feel I've finally learned my lesson, no more sending in books that were already graded.  I get the disclaimer, but if it's not a paint pen signature that sticks to the case, the grade shouldn't change.  The case design shouldn't create issues like color lift and we shouldn't have to worry about CGC employees or artists damaging books (there should be a clear and consistent process for CGC opening cases, and at least some weight should be given to the previous grade).  There where a bunch of unsigned ASM #361 9.8s I thought about buying for the Bagley signing, but finally my brain let me stop and go just wait, the market is going to flood with those and if you wait longer you may find one signed by Stan Lee and Bagley you like better.  It used to be I'd buy a unsigned 9.8 and send it in for a signing because it almost assured a 9.8 coming back, I haven't had any major issues yet, but people in the community are up in arms because it seems like there has been some change and a large uptick in grade changes.  

On 8/25/2023 at 10:43 AM, Miketaylorwork said:

I hate to say that I agree, but I agree.  For bigger books, I feel I've finally learned my lesson, no more sending in books that were already graded.  I get the disclaimer, but if it's not a paint pen signature that sticks to the case, the grade shouldn't change.  The case design shouldn't create issues like color lift and we shouldn't have to worry about CGC employees or artists damaging books (there should be a clear and consistent process for CGC opening cases, and at least some weight should be given to the previous grade).  There where a bunch of unsigned ASM #361 9.8s I thought about buying for the Bagley signing, but finally my brain let me stop and go just wait, the market is going to flood with those and if you wait longer you may find one signed by Stan Lee and Bagley you like better.  It used to be I'd buy a unsigned 9.8 and send it in for a signing because it almost assured a 9.8 coming back, I haven't had any major issues yet, but people in the community are up in arms because it seems like there has been some change and a large uptick in grade changes.  

Yes sir this is the way. I am in the same boat and you just have to be diligent. Look out for well placed signatures, cool color sigs, custom labels and stay away from buy it nows if you can. Certainly no reason you can’t overpay for a buy it now if it’s exactly what you would have hoped for of you had sent a 9.8 graded copy off! Collecting should be fun and a marathon. These signing aren’t necessarily slowing down. The only thing you could do is send in two copies of graded 9.8s as a hedge. (For me it has taken 2 submissions to get a 9.8 back that was a 9.8 when it was sent in)

On 8/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, Skippeydoo said:

I agree with this now. Sadly, this wasn't always the case though. I know I haven't been in the grading game long, coming up on 6 years now. But first 4-5 years, if you sent in a 9.8, without pressing, for a signing, it would come back as a 9.8 99.9% of the time. Same with a 9.6. Last year to year and a half, you can send it a 9.8 and pay to have it pressed, and it still feels like its a 50/50 spoon shoot if it will come back the same. Not sure if the grading has just gotten more strict, or the graders now are not on the same page, or if they just aren't being handled as safely as before due to volume. I just know that something has changed that has got me to not send in any graded comic with any decent value for the signature series cause it will just come back worse.   

I personally believe they are stricter. Look at the complaints of 9.6 vs 9.8. Can anyone really tell the difference? If you can’t then it stands to reason that they are being more selective with 9.8s, thus grading harder.