• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early days of eBay
8 8

102 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, The Black Hand ® said:

I was able to connect with a lot of MLJ/Archie fans through eBay. It was also a very affordable way to fill in MLJ runs. They were still under the radar in the late 90's and even looked down on by many dealers and mainstream GA collectors. Being a tightwad I was able to find incredible deals at times. It was a lot of fun. 

I got a lot of MLJ, Nedor, Fox and other off the radar publishers back in the early days of EBay. Glad I had the forsight and limited money at the time. Worked out well got me. 

On 6/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, october said:

eBay was incredible up until about 2016, then the air slowly went out year after year. 

I found so many good deals and got so many amazing leads that it hurts to think about. I bought five or six massive high grade OO Silver collections just from networking after a purchase. One ended up being a box truck load of 30,000 comics, Silver through Copper. Another was 1,000 virtually untouched SA comics...and when I say untouched, I mean it. The friggin distributor overspray was unbroken on some of the top edges. I was the first person to open them, ever, 50 years after printing. Tons of 9.6's and 9.8's. All sold off to finance my collection and other stuff. No regrets, just sorry the party is over! eBay is a shadow of a shadow of its former self now. 

I was going to say... I still found incredible deals even in the BIN now sections up until around 2015.

I learned early on never to do auctions as a seller after seeing how some sellers let things go for a fraction of what they could have gotten for an item due to the time when their listing ended or due to a power outage or storm in a major section of the country or a misspelling or error in the listing.  

Now, everything good is usually BIN with a Best Offer... which is fine... but it's not like it used to be.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:51 AM, Buzzetta said:

I was going to say... I still found incredible deals even in the BIN now sections up until around 2015.

I learned early on never to do auctions as a seller after seeing how some sellers let things go for a fraction of what they could have gotten for an item due to the time when their listing ended or due to a power outage or storm in a major section of the country or a misspelling or error in the listing.  

Now, everything good is usually BIN with a Best Offer... which is fine... but it's not like it used to be.

I found so many great deals sorting through the BIN section when it was separated from the auctions, which were featured much more prominently.  Once they comingled everything those finds went away.  

On 6/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

I remember tons of keys hitting my eBay feed every day and buying multiple things a day, every day. Then, in October 2016, it was like a switch flipped. My purchases dropped by like half and never recovered after that. Some good months here and there, but never like it was. 

On 6/18/2022 at 8:33 AM, buttock said:

zaq12 was Fishler. 

And do you know why he has that user name?

On 6/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, plady69 said:
  1. Who on the Golden Age boards got in early and found some unbelievable finds?  Wish i had! Thoughts?

I picked up a run of elfquest magazines in the late 90s.

Wish I had had more foresight :(

One of the amazing things I learned over the Ebay years was how active Jim Halperin has been at a level that I thought inconceivable for a collector with his wealth.  I saw that a certain portion of his time was spent hunting, tracking, and bidding on all manner of books at all sorts of price ranges.  And it wasn't like if he wanted the book, then no one could stand in his path.  He'd put in his snipe at a certain price, which might be $35, $350, or $3500 - and that was that.  Kinda blew my mind.  It was clear to me - he really really loved comic books.