• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

$228K for TOS #39 with one of the best pages from Iron Man's origin seemed cheap compared recent 6 figure comic art.

This is a great example from the story with bullets flying and villains runnin. Surprised it didn't go higher and its twice up.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/don-heck-tales-of-suspense-39-iron-man-story-page-12-original-art-marvel-1963-/a/7279-91013.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

On 9/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, Brian Peck said:

$228K for TOS #39 with one of the best pages from Iron Man's origin seemed cheap compared recent 6 figure comic art.

This is a great example from the story with bullets flying and villains runnin. Surprised it didn't go higher and its twice up.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/don-heck-tales-of-suspense-39-iron-man-story-page-12-original-art-marvel-1963-/a/7279-91013.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Everything you state is 100% true.  Yet, every time these TOS 39 pages come up for sale, I can’t get past the Don Heck artwork so I don’t bid

On 9/9/2022 at 6:41 AM, Grant Turner said:

228K for TOS #39 with one of the best pages from Iron Man's origin seemed cheap compared recent 6 figure comic art.

Nah, this was a huge sale! It’s  the highest selling page from the book to date.  Wait until the first appearance of the armor page shows up!  Or death of yinsen…9EB5F41A-BEF8-449B-B96F-953457C61B38.thumb.jpeg.3fed8c3907033b204d93b14f3a8626af.jpeg9F17358F-66C7-4F5B-B21D-1D2EC0E3F291.thumb.jpeg.09161ec09ef96965e6cbb4d250516250.jpegD3568C5E-C122-4DEC-BA09-C8B3A0C60B7E.thumb.jpeg.e3a6de2472f042f1ec6d77c1a347eb15.jpeg153D27D6-73AA-48AB-A7E2-221334CA46E6.thumb.jpeg.113a15c8cf9883d8d911835b23b3a4eb.jpeg

Is the tos 39 cover known to exist?

Yeah, I have been watching throughout the day.  I was runner up on several of the bigger CLink options last night but hit my max on each piece.  Today, I thought the TOS 39 may go higher.  I was in the mix, but ultimately couldn't take it home. Congratulations to the wining bidder.  It's one of the best pages of the issue for sure.  Everything keeps thinking more pages are coming (which could be true), however, everyone thought that with Giant Size X-Men about two years ago, and we haven't seen a public offering since.  You never know when the page offered is the last.  Crossing my fingers for 1-2 more to come to market for TOS 39, but time to build up reserves based on the upward trend in closing price.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, Xatari said:

Yeah, I have been watching throughout the day.  I was runner up on several of the bigger CLink options last night but hit my max on each piece.  Today, I thought the TOS 39 may go higher.  I was in the mix, but ultimately couldn't take it home. Congratulations to the wining bidder.  It's one of the best pages of the issue for sure.  Everything keeps thinking more pages are coming (which could be true), however, everyone thought that with Giant Size X-Men about two years ago, and we haven't seen a public offering since.  You never know when the page offered is the last.  Crossing my fingers for 1-2 more to come to market for TOS 39, but time to build up reserves based on the upward trend in closing price.

congrats on the valiant effort.   that's a great page.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, Legion of Goom said:

Speaking of Sandman, I'm really curious to see where this one lands. Been awhile since one of his full collage/mixed media covers hit the open market 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-mckean-sandman-5-mister-miracle-cover-original-art-dc-1989-/p/7279-30002.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

$90k with juice. Looks like that's a record for a public McKean Sandman cover, nearly double the last one I could find.

No idea if any have traded privately for more.

The 10% of the #1 cover is an interesting comparison.    That percentage seems way off; my gut says this page should be worth 3% of the cover.    But then I guess there are lots of people in todays hobby with 200k to spend and very few with 2m to spend, so what makes sense in terms of relative valuation takes a back seat to pragmatic concerns like being able to actually write the check. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bronty said:

The 10% of the #1 cover is an interesting comparison.    That percentage seems way off; my gut says this page should be worth 3% of the cover.    But then I guess there are lots of people in todays hobby with 200k to spend and very few with 2m to spend, so what makes sense in terms of relative valuation takes a back seat to pragmatic concerns like being able to actually write the check. 

Given the behind the scenes offers getting thrown at dkr pages for the last couple of years I would think the owner could have stumbled over a half dozen more than willing insta-buyers at 5%-7% of the cover’s sale price. That’s a good point about the deeper six figure pool than the seven figure pool of buyers. 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, comix4fun said:

Given the behind the scenes offers getting thrown at dkr pages for the last couple of years I would think the owner could have stumbled over a half dozen more than willing insta-buyers at 5%-7% of the cover’s sale price. That’s a good point about the deeper six figure pool than the seven figure pool of buyers. 

You’re misinterpreting part of what I said.   I said that in relative terms I think the cover “should” be worth more than ten times what that page is worth.    Whether that’s because this page is too high or the cover is too low or both is not something I commented on. 

However “should” doesn’t write the checks.    “Willing and able” writes the checks. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/8/2022 at 9:52 PM, Bronty said:

You’re misinterpreting part of what I said.   I said that in relative terms I think the cover “should” be worth more than ten times what that page is worth.    Whether that’s because this page is too high or the cover is too low or both is not something I commented on. 

However “should” doesn’t write the checks.    “Willing and able” writes the checks. 

You were probably close to right on this page if you think about it. It’s probably worth 3% of what everyone thought the cover would sell for before the auction though. 😂  and it was a good point you made about the size of the relative willing and able pools of buyers. 

I was just adding a little color to how disparate the cover vs. interior page market is on dkr. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, comix4fun said:

You were probably close to right on this page if you think about it. It’s probably worth 3% of what everyone thought the cover would sell for before the auction though. 😂  and it was a good point you made about the size of the relative willing and able pools of buyers. 

I was just adding a little color to how disparate the cover vs. interior page market is on dkr. 

Sure.   You know, another interesting comparison for this page is the #3 cover.

Ok, it’s not a great cover, I’m 100% with anyone that makes that claim.    But I still find it surprising that the #3 cover barely outsold this page.   

On 9/9/2022 at 2:04 AM, Michael Browning said:

There’s nothing bad or strange about that page at all. Have you even read Dark Knight Returns?

I am a fan of Miller, been a bidder on Dark Knight pages and read the books when they were published.

I should have been clearer in what I was saying I just didn’t want to offend the buyer or the consigner as I  was talking about Batman’s arms

3112435E-BA2C-45EB-9B66-31704E01A893.jpeg

Edited by t3quila

On 9/9/2022 at 6:50 AM, t3quila said:

Is $228,000 very high for the Dark Knight page for a silhouette of a badly drawn Batman?

That image looks very strange to me

🤯 Imo that's a stupidly high price.

It's a " nothing "page in my eyes. What would those excellent bats supes battle pages bring if this nothing page gets 228k?!!