• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me you’re middle-aged, without telling me your middle-aged…
2 2

159 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I used to think nothing of blowing $10 playing Donkey Kong. That game really chewed up the quarters.

I went through a phase when I spent a ton of time playing Crystal Castles, but I think a quarter lasted quite a while. I probably spent more money on pinball than anything else.

The game that really chewed up my quarters fast was Dragon's Lair. I was 9 when it came out in '83, and I sucked at it. I didn't spend a ton of money on it because I always got frustrated with it and walked away after a couple of games.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I used to think nothing of blowing $10 playing Donkey Kong. That game really chewed up the quarters.

In my day, a quarter was two brand new Marvels off the drug store rack. If I got 4 or 5 at once it was a great day. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:20 AM, Namtak said:

In my house we had a phone like this one.

33c903553e99db2db45ee0c327aac3c2.jpg

So did we. It was mounted in the hall. It had a very long cord like that so I could stretch it up the stairs to call girls. Zero privacy. My parents had a table model in their room but we couldn’t use it.

I remember calling sellers in the CBBG long distance to order comics. My parents hit the roof over the long distance charges when they got the bill. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, Robot Man said:

So did we. It was mounted in the hall. It had a very long cord like that so I could stretch it up the stairs to call girls. Zero privacy. My parents had a table model in their room but we couldn’t use it.

I remember calling sellers in the CBBG long distance to order comics. My parents hit the roof over the long distance charges when they got the bill. 

I try not to think too much about some of the phone conversations I had with early girlfriends, on the kitchen phone with my dad sitting at the table reading the paper.  He must have been so embarrassed.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:27 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I try not to think too much about some of the phone conversations I had with early girlfriends, on the kitchen phone with my dad sitting at the table reading the paper.  He must have been so embarrassed.

. . . or possibly aroused. lol