• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, Prince Namor said:

Uh.... yeah, most of us have seen this before.

Those of us who didn't just get into the hobby watched people trading their Golden Age and Silver Age keys to dealers back in the 90's, so they could get their hands on early Valiant books, and Todd McFarlane Spider-mans, and chrome covers, etc. ... "more because people want it."

How'd that end up?

I remember that. :facepalm:

On 8/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, CGC Mike said:

CGC is fully aware of what we graded and stand behind them.

Um, OK. Not sure doubling down here is a good look for you guys. What kind of precedent does this set? Can anyone just attach a newly printed cover and submit to CGC for a blue label holder? If not anyone, then who? And why do they get special treatment? I suspect you will have a hard time justifying this one and applying a consistent treatment to such books in the future. 

On 8/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, The Meta said:

Double Down!

Which they did not have to do

From a collectors standpoint, it's good that they were at least transparent about it.  One can only hope the feedback from everyone here forces CGC to re-evaluate their position.  Especially if it's true that the acetate cover wasn't approved by Marvel.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, ExNihilo said:

From a collectors standpoint, it's good that they were at least transparent about it.  One can only hope the feedback from everyone here forces CGC to re-evaluate their position.  Especially if it's true that the acetate cover wasn't approved by Marvel.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cgc-asks-bad-idea-to-stop-selling-the-slabbed-invisible-comics/

This was after they got excoriated for selling grades.  And yet here we are once again.  CGC has re-evaluated nothing and learned nothing.  

On 8/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, Iceman399 said:

Since our first variant sold out almost instantly to Greggy.  We are launching our second one!  This time we've taken a sheet of printer paper and attached it to an old book found in the dollar bins.  But wait here's where it gets fun...the number of staples added AFTER manufacturing will vary!  Did you get 1 or 9 extra staples.  Collect them all!

image.png.0adb23bbd20d6faac7e26b8eaabaa304.png

Amateur.  When I get home tonight, I'm gonna use blue tape and a left over sheet of wire mesh to make my 1 of 1 virgin wire mesh variant of Marvel Comics Presents 85 .  Remember folks, only 1 in existence!  Opening bid is $10,000.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, ExNihilo said:

One can only hope the feedback from everyone here forces CGC to re-evaluate their position

I think the market has changed and they've adapted. Modern variants (and probably "variants") keep the lights on. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, mattn792 said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cgc-asks-bad-idea-to-stop-selling-the-slabbed-invisible-comics/

This was after they got excoriated for selling grades.  And yet here we are once again.  CGC has re-evaluated nothing and learned nothing.  

It's also the responsibility of consumers to take the information and do what they will as well.  I haven't subbed any books since the decline in QC some two years ago.  I have one book that I expect will be subbed (signature series so nothing i can do about that), but I otherwise have no intention of subbing books any time soon.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, mattn792 said:

That was also long after they were sold out, and even longer after CGC got paid to give the grades.

"Saving face" is the term.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, KirbyTown said:

I think the market has changed and they've adapted. Modern variants keep the lights on. 🤷‍♂️

This.

As long as CGC has an endless stream of modern variants giving them 30,000-40,000 books to grade per week they don't have to care about the actual community at all.