• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 6:44 AM, toro said:

Nerdy Girl's Whatnot sale last night.  She was getting attacked in there and was asking for mods to boot them out.  She did auction one of the books for $185.

CBSI ranked acetate Black Flag Crain variant as #2 on top 10 :wavingwhiteflag: hot list BEFORE C2E2 started 'limited' to 750 (or 3k?) copies:

Edited by aardvark88
Cgc slabbed at 9.9, 10.0

On 8/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, billsid said:

This is the smoking gun right here.......explanations are in order CGC.

I don't know if the acetates were put on when the original 2000 variant covers were produced or recently. If someone has information on that, it will add some context. I can tell you that I have had 500 modern books graded in the last three months, and the modern grading tier is not a seasoned group overall. It seems more like a rookie mistake or misunderstanding about how to grade these than a conspiracy. It seems like they are grading them like metal covers rather than double covers. There are aspects of this that I don't like that have nothing to do with CGC and more to do with greed.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, zoso99 said:

I don't know if the acetates were put on when the original 2000 variant covers were produced or recently. If someone has information on that, it will add some context. I can tell you that I have had 500 modern books graded in the last three months, and the modern grading tier is not a seasoned group overall. It seems more like a rookie mistake or misunderstanding about how to grade these than a conspiracy. It seems like they are grading them like metal covers rather than double covers. There are aspects of this that I don't like that have nothing to do with CGC and more to do with greed.

That would be fine if it were a rookie mistake, but Mike apparently took this to the top and said they stand by their decision.  If there was an error, they would say "we are looking into this situation and will adjust accordingly."  They would also force Black Flag to remove the upcoming acetate books from circulation.  But they aren't, so we can rule out rookie mistake.

Edited by ExNihilo

So, for argument's sake, couldn't any collector create their own blue label variant now? Why limit it to just retailers, since it doesn't matter whether it comes from the publisher or not? I feel like I should get my kids to draw some junk on plastic and, voila, a blue label variant has just been born. Can I win a registry set competition if I have the only complete set of Rumrunner variant Shadowhawks?

On 8/9/2022 at 2:53 PM, mattn792 said:

Don't forget though, Spike got wise and re-drew the line closer to himself while Tom wasn't looking.

I do feel. :(

As though this thread was one long customer service call 😂 that went horridly wrong. Apologies 😀😉

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, zoso99 said:

The conspiracy is the fact that they have 3 different acetate books on the census and they all have the same amount of books graded with all the same grades 10's 9.9's and 9.8's

On 8/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, D84 said:

I'm so waiting for "variant age" to be over, even if it's a complete comics market crash.

I will be dead and you will still be waiting lol 

I know many people who are waiting on a complete market crash since the 1990s.  Same people who think the stock market will crash daily.  They keep missing out and others keep making money. 

Variants have been coming out for 30+ years now.  Those buyers have little or no effect on the vintage comics I can assure you of that. 

Most people who only collect vintage comics probably think Ultimate Fallout is an X-box game.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, zoso99 said:

The acetate appears to have been added after (why else would there be 4 staples).  If it was freshly published, they would just go with the standard two staples.  Here are the original copies still available on KRS Comics site.

ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT #4 FACSIMILE EDITION CLAYTON CRAIN EXCLUSIVE – KRS Comics LLC

For whatever it's worth, here's Clayton's Instagram page, so he was promoting it.  I don't even know what he drew as the stripes and USA stamp look like a simple graphic overlay.  I'm guessing he just drew the flag to cover the mask?  In any case, it's still a post production change to and existing book.  Whether Clayton actually did the art or didn't should be irrelevant.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg25VGQpM6O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

image.thumb.png.c1b25c01fe60f1324f923f78060f5cb1.png