• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

Here's a Facebook link of the dude from black flag explaining himself if anyone's interested. I don't think he's helping his case here. Not sure if this is one of those "stories" that are only up for a limited time so hopefully it's viewable for a little while 

https://fb.watch/eLXoDMwxpQ/

Edited by BriD.

Retail arbitrage has always been the situation with anything faddy at any time; and there's nothing to be put on the "collecting community" about it.

It's likely that a consumer making noise is experiencing the situation for first time. They don't understand that not only were they were never going to get whatever it is, but that the intent of the promotion itself likely had nothing to do with anyone actually being able to obtain the thing. Young, inexperienced, naive, whatever consumers either don't yet understand which games they shouldn't be playing, or if they do play, they don't understand how hard they'll have to work just to have a chance to likely fail anyway.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, deadleg said:

Man we really have come full circle. Flippers complaining about other flippers flipping before they can flip.

That sentence made my brain hurt. I need a nap.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, BriD. said:

Here's a Facebook link of the dude from black flag explaining himself if anyone's interested. I don't think he's helping his case here. Not sure if this is one of those "stories" that are only up for a limited time so hopefully it's viewable for a little while 

Good grief 

I grinded through about 5 minutes.  I don’t have another 20 minutes to listen to that dude blather away.

Doesn’t seem to be dealing with the internet backlash very well.

Does he attempt an explanation as to why he shafted all those in line?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 8/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, D84 said:

Black Flag Comics to all those people in line...

you-aint-getting-shit-you-arent-getting-anything.gif.3ae5dfe4aacda05073a096cf27799512.gif

Good thing nobody wants it

Looking forward to passing these in the 50 cent bins in the future

On 8/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Good grief 

I grinded through about 5 minutes.  I don’t have another 20 minutes to listen to that dude blather away.

Doesn’t seem to be dealing with the internet backlash very well.

Does he attempt an explanation as to why he shafted all those in line?

He allowed his friends to pre-order as many copies as they wanted before the convention started because he needed the money. Basically wanted to secure a guaranteed sellout instead of getting his book in as many different people's hands as possible. Should probably focus more on increasing his print runs in the future instead of engaging with the community on camera, because that video isn't helping his business at all.  

On 8/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, BriD. said:

Is this a video? The link doesn’t show one and there are no videos posted. Last post was 2 days ago. 

I feel like people are directing ire at the wrong people. It’s easy to say “one person one copy” but it’s very expensive to make your own variant. I know two comic shops who did them and one barely broke even the other lost money despite charging $50 a copy. If these guys laid out $50k+ for these I totally understand being nervous and not wanting to turn down guaranteed money from someone buying 100+ copies.

The villain here are the flippers. Don’t reward them. There’s a lot of variant covers I’d love but I won’t pay 200% markup to these guys. Just like in the 90s when people hoarded #1s or whatever, let them choke on their own inventory until the bubble bursts, 

This is quite crazy as I was probably number 20 in line at the Black Flag booth when they let us on the main floor. By the time I had gotten to purchase the ASM #1 Clayton Crain variant, these UF reprint/facsimile abominations were all gone. Not sure who thought that these acetate covers were a good idea, but it just made the original UF4 look very ugly.

I am baffled how CGC would grade these considering that there are 4 staples on this vs. the normal 2. Have to wonder now that they will set this precedence grading a book with 4 staples since Black Flag and co. frankensteined this book with even Marvel approval.

Edited by captainzombie

On 8/6/2022 at 11:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

So this making the rounds on Social Media and I am doing my part to bring it over here. 

This is part of the reason I stopped going to large Cons the last few years, but I've never seen something
this blatant. Read below and form your own opinion. I know there are now several Social media and You tube
sellers I will no longer even think of purchasing from after this. These copies were then sold that night on Whatnot
among other places as well as ebay. I completely understand this person's point of view here
I had to cut it into 4 parts to see it all. Whats even worse is this book is just an acetate overlay nothing fancy.

Its makes our hobby look slimy again. I get partnerships, but this was handled poorly and stinks and reeks 
of entitlement. I could care less about this book, but I feel for the people who wanted it and stood in line to 
watch the majority of the copies leave right in front of them.

image.png.102b60e51dd46560b86d7e157e18ed29.pngimage.png.7dabd942e0eb5fcdbcf7c5281b746491.pngimage.png.289c9d4aaac9e64cd8b48df070cf007d.png

So did this person get a copy of the book? Because I just watched a video of a guy in that line and he was 40th in line and he got 3 (2 raw and a CGC 9.8). 

He said everything that the OP posted so the story sounds right. What I can’t find out is did the original person still get a copy it?sounds like they should have been able to if they were 15th in line.

I wanted to go to C2E2 but didn’t want to drive 5 hours from St Louis. It really sounds like the show had problems and that sucks, because I love going.