• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 10:01 AM, eddly said:

The silence is deafening. 

For the lawyers here, are any of us at risk of defamation?

I'm not a lawyer, though it seems literally everyone else here says they are.   But no, we aren't at risk of defamation by complaining about a company on their own internet forum.   

Plus,  they know everything we say is speculation since we have know proof they charge for grades, etc.... (even though we all know they do). 

Plus,  who's gonna serve a subpoena that starts with "Dear The_Beyonder..." 

Maybe CGC realizes only insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would design this, or buy this, or slab this and the rest of us will just forget this exists eventually. 

The idea that they have two more of these ugly stapled books to show off is pretty funny though. :popcorn:

Plus, as mentioned above, the idea that I can ask an artist to create a goofy overlay and get that blue label graded opens up some fun possibilities. 

e: word filter made it even better honestly, ITPs indeed

Edited by A. Schaeffer

On 8/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm not a lawyer, though it seems literally everyone else here says they are.   But no, we aren't at risk of defamation by complaining about a company on their own internet forum.   

Plus,  they know everything we say is speculation since we have know proof they charge for grades, etc.... (even though we all know they do). 

Plus,  who's gonna serve a subpoena that starts with "Dear The_Beyonder..." 

Last time I checked, I have to log into my CGC account to post on the boards that has my full first and last name, my address, and my credit card information from when I registered.  Pretty sure they would have no issue subpoenaing me lol 

Can anybody confirm this? I thought I saw a booth picture from Boston earlier.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/black-flag-not-at-boston-fan-expo-more-ultimate-fallout-4-fallout/

"Black Flag Comics are still not updating their social media, despite that they are meant to be exhibiting at Boston Fan Expo. Only thing is, they are not present on the Boston Fan Expo exhibitor list, not as Black Flag Comics nor as Infinite Black Publishing."

On 8/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, eddly said:

I know, tacky to quote yourself, but I predict before the end of this weekend, every thread on the front page of general will be about c2e2 etc. 

Hope not.   Looking forward to some new drama at Boston Fan Expo. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Prince Namor said:

Shouldn't anyone, including other companies be allowed to do these as well?

Shouldn't Zenescope right now be thinking... WE could come up with some interesting ideas for an acetate overlay...

I want to see Zenescope do some Archie acetate overlays...

And then watch the influencers stumble over themselves to be offended or cash in...

"Naked women? That's offensive! We have standards when we create these manufactured collectibles to rip people off!"

We have fan expo Canada coming up in a few weeks. 

It's been suggested we do a nude female spider like character for FanEXXX 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, CJ Design said:

Those are done by Pressable Defects...they go by entertainers..not Infl#@n$er$.Good guys.

I agree as I like those guys very much and perhaps influencers is now an insulting term, but begs to question: Perhaps the only ones shamed here are the ones that were present and had the opportunity to do so. If other YouTubers had attended, would they have done the same thing?

So many layers here and that's why this is so fascinating.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:55 AM, ramithard said:

bids now at $ 25,000 on ebay

Still think these are all artificial up so buyer can reneg out of protest.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Last time I checked, I have to log into my CGC account to post on the boards that has my full first and last name, my address, and my credit card information from when I registered.  Pretty sure they would have no issue subpoenaing me lol 

Oh.    Never use your real info on the internet. 

Especially not with a company who has possession of your collectibles and you want the freedom to criticize them  ;) 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Well, I finally made it through all 113 pages of this, and here are my takeaways (not that anyone GAF).

I don't really care about the legalities of Black Flag producing and selling them as store/con exclusives.  That's between them, Marvel, and the cons.  Clearly people will pay through the nose for them, and the controversy is just going to make more people want them.  PT Barnum would approve.

Black Flag clearly screwed the pooch with their distribution of the books, though.  They really should not have allowed the "influencers" to cut in and pick up their books in full view of the people standing in line like that.  They probably should have set those books aside and let the YouTubers pick them up somewhere out of sight of the crowd.  If they had just thought about that for a second or two, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.  (shrug)

What concerns me is CGC's involvement in this, for the two big reasons everyone keeps mentioning - blue labels and what are almost certainly paid-for grades.  There is no way a book can be handled like that to staple an acetate cover on it and still somehow retain a 9.9 or 10 grade when the most perfect comics submitted by Joe Public can apparently only hit 9.8.

CGC's supposed job is to be an impartial, third-party certification and grading service for collectibles.  They are now failing at every aspect of that.

I have bought, sold, and even gifted to friends a handful of CGC-graded comics over the years, but I've never actually submitted any of my own for grading.  That was about to change this year, but after spending a lot of time on the boards over the last few months, I've lost my faith in this business and will probably never submit any books for grading.  CGC has become the nightmare I feared it would be when they opened their doors many, many years ago.  To my surprise, they actually brought a cool new aspect to collecting, but their latest shenanigans and lack of quality control have ruined their reputation for me.  Sad.

What's most concerning, though, is that it took 100 pages for us to get our first "tree fiddy" joke.  For shame, people!  For shame...  :taptaptap:

And recently, some of those perfect comics are sitting in 9.6 slabs...

Edited by jjfversion1
typo

On 8/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Prince Namor said:

Shouldn't anyone, including other companies be allowed to do these as well?

People keep asking things like this,  but this isn't CGC changing their guidelines from now on. It's a one-off arrangement made with a specific retailer. 

For instance..  If someone cracks one of the original Bad Idea invisible books and submits it for grading, guess what CGC would do with it.. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sigur Ros said:

People keep asking things like this,  but this isn't CGC changing their guidelines from now on. It's a one-off arrangement made with a specific retailer. 

For instance..  If someone cracks one of the original Bad Idea invisible books and submits it for grading, guess what CGC would do with it.. 

Admit that they lost it?