• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,557 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm not a lawyer, though it seems literally everyone else here says they are.   But no, we aren't at risk of defamation by complaining about a company on their own internet forum.   

Plus,  they know everything we say is speculation since we have know proof they charge for grades, etc.... (even though we all know they do). 

Plus,  who's gonna serve a subpoena that starts with "Dear The_Beyonder..." 

:acclaim:

On 8/12/2022 at 12:42 PM, eddly said:

Admit that they lost it? 

Imagine USPS loses it and you're trying to collect the insurance saying:

"No, really. I swear, it was an invisible comic book". 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Can anybody confirm this? I thought I saw a booth picture from Boston earlier.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/black-flag-not-at-boston-fan-expo-more-ultimate-fallout-4-fallout/

"Black Flag Comics are still not updating their social media, despite that they are meant to be exhibiting at Boston Fan Expo. Only thing is, they are not present on the Boston Fan Expo exhibitor list, not as Black Flag Comics nor as Infinite Black Publishing."

They’re setup, I’ve had two friends post pics to Facebook so far. Will share here

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, DrunkWooky said:

Can anybody confirm this? I thought I saw a booth picture from Boston earlier.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/black-flag-not-at-boston-fan-expo-more-ultimate-fallout-4-fallout/

"Black Flag Comics are still not updating their social media, despite that they are meant to be exhibiting at Boston Fan Expo. Only thing is, they are not present on the Boston Fan Expo exhibitor list, not as Black Flag Comics nor as Infinite Black Publishing."

I thought someone posted an image of their booth.  Maybe it’s still just an empty booth.  If they were smart they wouldn’t show.  If they decline to sell the new books it would make it easier for CGC to change their stance.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, Dr. Balls said:

“Do you post as Jaybuck43 from the CGC message boards and write “F&@$ CGC and Ultimate Fallout, F&@$ them in their stupid a$&@$es”

2A9D7269-823C-40FC-B95E-B8FDFBD04C96.gif.b5d12a4e6ae5e01e64bb01a61c6807d0.gif

BrilliantOptimisticAmberpenshell-max-1mb.gif

On 8/12/2022 at 10:44 AM, FFB said:

Yes, this is the relevant comparison - the UF4 facsimile edition.  Or even the Clayton Crane variant cover pre-acetate.  But the original 2011 1st print is not a relevant comparison because of how it was packaged, how much older it is, and the fact that it was not a hot book with many submissions for a few years after it was published.  

(thumbsu

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank everybody for ignoring my explanation of this.

:boo:

On 8/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, Sigur Ros said:

People keep asking things like this,  but this isn't CGC changing their guidelines from now on. It's a one-off arrangement made with a specific retailer. 

For instance..  If someone cracks one of the original Bad Idea invisible books and submits it for grading, guess what CGC would do with it.. 

Okay but the response was this:

“We apologize for the short response yesterday and wanted to follow up with an explanation of our thought process behind the grade assignments. We treated them as we would any other variant cover that's attached with an extra set of staples after the book was printed, and at times these books included the original cover as well.

There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC. An example is Stray Dogs #1 from last year. An acetate variant cover was attached with an extra set of staples, to which CGC assigned a Universal grade and a notation of “acetate cover” on the label. The extra set of staples were part of the manufacturing process of attaching the acetate cover, and not considered a defect.”

This doesn’t imply or say anything of the sort that this was a one off. In fact they’re doubling down with justification that this is the way they’ve always done things, Nevermind the fact that Stray Dogs was not at all the same thing, but if you follow their reasoning this is business as usual and will continue.

Which is quite a bit different than the invisible comic response of this: 

"Hey all: Bad Idea approached us at the beginning of 2020 with the idea to create and encapsulate an invisible comic as a way to showcase and promote their new book and writers. Given recent feedback, we have asked Bad Idea to cease selling them, and only use them for promotional purposes."

On 8/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, AmazingComics413 said:

They’re setup, I’ve had two friends post pics to Facebook so far. Will share here

That's what I thought. Looks like Bleeding Cool was basing their article purely on an "exhibitor list" of some sort that I have not been able to locate. 

• Administrator

We feel it is important to provide transparency on how CGC arrived at our method of certifying Clayton Crain’s Ultimate Fallout comics with the attached acetate covers. For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade. After Mr. Crain spoke with us prior to C2E2, the rules we applied to his books:

• The additional cover had to be created by an established artist in the industry.
  • The comic to which the cover was attached had to contain a cover by that same artist.
  • A copy of the comic with the attached cover had to be submitted to us for inspection prior to certifying any copies.

Given the recent circumstances, we have made adjustments to the labeling originally used for the Ultimate Fallout exhibiting the acetate cover. Going forward, any copies submitted to CGC will display in the label text: "In God We Intrust" Acetate Artist Cover attached with 2 staples after manufacturing. The books will still be allowed to receive a Universal label.

This will also apply to Mr. Crain’s forthcoming copies of Ghost Rider #1 and Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 that contain an acetate cover.  

image.png

On 8/12/2022 at 10:02 AM, Monstertruck97 said:

Very funny.

And never knew this YouTuber existed until yesterday and actually wish I didn't know he existed.

I love how all these YouTubers claim about how bad influencers are yet they are doing the same thing.  He said he had to do a video saying in fact he was quick to judge and people now didn't jump the line. LOL 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, CGC Mike said:

We feel it is important to provide transparency on how CGC arrived at our method of certifying Clayton Crain’s Ultimate Fallout comics with the attached acetate covers. For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade. After Mr. Crain spoke with us prior to C2E2, the rules we applied to his books:

• The additional cover had to be created by an established artist in the industry.
  • The comic to which the cover was attached had to contain a cover by that same artist.
  • A copy of the comic with the attached cover had to be submitted to us for inspection prior to certifying any copies.

Given the recent circumstances, we have made adjustments to the labeling originally used for the Ultimate Fallout exhibiting the acetate cover. Going forward, any copies submitted to CGC will display in the label text: "In God We Intrust" Acetate Artist Cover attached with 2 staples after manufacturing. The books will still be allowed to receive a Universal label.

This will also apply to Mr. Crain’s forthcoming copies of Ghost Rider #1 and Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 that contain an acetate cover.  

image.png

@CGC MikeHas there been any discussion between Marvel and CGC? Marvel has no concerns with this, they still see the additions as a Marvel product?