• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, bc said:

Now that CGC has laid out the 3 criteria, if they don't allow it, our lawyer(s) could slap them with a discriminatory business lawsuit.

-bc

Doubt it. 

Let's ask. 

Is there a lawyer in the comic book forum? 

giphy (1).gif

On 8/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, A. Schaeffer said:

I'm actually interested to see if they step it up and put a character they own on the overlay of a marvel book. Maybe they also talked to Disney ahead of time?

I don't know why I'm getting shades of a decade of looney tunes characters dressed as Kriss Kross on airbrushed t shirts. 

That’s supposedly what’s happening with the Ghost Rider book.  “Ghost Rider Vs” something er other variant.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Man, eating the cost of that booth? I’d be surprised given the stance that the owner of Black Whatever thinks his books are “dope” and “makes people money”. Those people tend to not have things like this bother them.

Well CGC have made their stance clear on the next two books. Universal Grade Label with notes about aftermarket additions. 

What has occurred between Marvel and Black Flag is a separate story. CGC may be willing to grade the two future books, but is Marvel willing to allow them to see the light of day? Especially, given that there is speculation that one of them was a mash up of Infinite Black's IP and Marvel's:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/who-are-infinite-black-of-the-black-flag-comics-acetate-covers/

"Zymotica[ ]is the name of the actetate cover intended to be created for Clayton Craine's Ghost Rider #1. for this weekend's Boston Fan Expo, the "Zymotica Vs" variant cover. Might that suggest Black Flag Comics were intending to use their existing retailer exclusive Clayton Crain Ghost Rider cover approved by Marvel, to promote their own intellectual property, created by Clayton Crain, with a bit of acetate on the cover? Might we get Zymotica Vs Ghost Rider? You could see how Marvel Comics might have a problem with that more than the "In God We Intrust" cover."

On 8/12/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

That’s supposedly what’s happening with the Ghost Rider book.  “Ghost Rider Vs” something er other variant.

right, and disney is known to be lax with IP so it should be chill

but, maybe there's some grey area where you are modifying something you did license/buy under contract after the fact so it becomes fair use. 

what is sure though is now that these get a special label distinction you'll get copycats, and those should be even goofier. given cgcs newest statement i dont think youll ever see a copycat in a slab, but i would bet someone is drawing winne the pooh holding a flag on plastic as we speak

On 8/12/2022 at 1:29 PM, A. Schaeffer said:

but i would bet someone is drawing winne the pooh holding a flag on plastic as we speak

I mean come on thats an easy bet, theres a do you pooh cover for everything. The amber turd cover was hilarious lol

On 8/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, eddly said:

How do we determine whether an artist is established in the industry?

when they say "Oh yes, I would love to do some retailer variants for you and no you don't have to pay me, you just have to give me comps so I can sell them at conventions."