• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this even possible. Book was submitted and replaced entirely. CGC error
8 8

87 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2022 at 4:04 PM, Qalyar said:

Exactly. It sucks when they flub a 2nd printing, or swap two books from a single submission. Or even when human error damages a book in their possession. We are right to complain about all such things, no matter the frequency, because an authentication and certification service should strive for perfection. But it's still good to remember that people are people and a few of those types of events are likely inevitable; the goal is to minimize them and have a means to mitigate their ongoing effects.

This event isn't at all excusable, because it implies that each submitters' books are not being properly segregated. Blue label instead of green, yeah, that's a problem, but literally a different customer's book swapped into the case in its place? That's worrisome. Presumably, this means that somewhere between the grading floor and encapsulation, books are not being containerized by submission, but instead... what? Bandied about in big stacks? I really don't know. The worst thing is that this instantly makes every claim of "this book is misgraded because CGC swapped it out for a different copy!" suddenly seem more plausible.

Why would you have any confidence your book will be graded, encapsulated, and shipped back problem-free?

On 9/29/2022 at 6:33 PM, shadroch said:

Why would you have any confidence your book will be graded, encapsulated, and shipped back problem-free?

Increasingly, it seems that submissions are simply playing the numbers game. Most of them do go off without a problem, but things like this are very much cause to reconsider.

I used to be (much more) naive and perhaps I am too cynical to think that outright theft is the most likely answer. So I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it isn't outright theft by a cgc employee and gross incompetence is the answer

On 9/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, Bird said:

I used to be (much more) naive and perhaps I am too cynical to think that outright theft is the most likely answer. So I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it isn't outright theft by a cgc employee and gross incompetence is the answer

I am afraid it’s theft. 
Only because of how wildly wrong this seems to be. 
I just struggle if it’s theft because it’s not that special of a book. It’s special to me, and there’s a big story behind the John Byrne and Chris Claremont signatures in specific. 
I can’t see why someone would want this book enough to steal it while at work. 

• Administrator
On 9/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, Qalyar said:

Mike, I know you can't and won't be commenting on internal processes, but after you tell the QA department to roll some heads, you should ALSO tell your bosses that there's a serious workflow problem somewhere in the operation, because there's zero reason why this should even be possible unless books are not being handled the way that we've all been assured they are.

I haven't had time to compile examples for a few weeks but, there will be several sent soon, and I make sure I am heard...

On 9/29/2022 at 7:16 PM, Bird said:

I feel theft is an impractical explanation here. Perhaps is #101 was the affected book, but it seems very strange that a thief would pick a much less valuable book in the same submission to target. Sadly, especially given the trend of recent process failures, I think comprehensive incompetence and institutional apathy are the most likely causes.

@CGC Mike Appreciated, but is there any chance that you -- or some other representative -- can give us some sort of public feedback on this one? The error itself is bad, but pretty much any chain of events I can envision that would lead to this involves some pretty serious mishandling of submitters' books. Having this happen immediately before you're going to start getting newsstand reholders is not, let's say, encouraging.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, D2 said:

I will keep everyone up to speed with what’s happening. 

So far no one from CGC has reached back. 

I am hoping it’s because everyone is scratching their heads wondering what to respond back with. 

Or maybe it's because they're busy trying to save their homes while suffering through a major hurricane....

On 9/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, jsilverjanet said:

for the premiums we have been asked to pay in the past year (increase across all tiers) the quality has instead of improving gotten worse

the mistakes now include damage, lost or misplaced books

the simple answers aren't enough. There needs to be a change made. This is not acceptable.

continuing to operate despite all these errors is negligent on a company that prided itself on its reputation

They'll only understand the bottom line. 

Other than Mike's messages here, is there ANY sign or communication from them that indicates any change in their company-attitude towards customer satisfaction or measurable quality control? 

When enough people stop submitting books, they MIGHT wonder why. Maybe.

But for now, they're still like....

200w.gif.6f0dc2adba495546a771a9ca12c4500d.gif

And...

e2d621ba-20f0-473f-8d5c-1d21f5e7ecc9_text.gif.70e17952800b1a4d541bc4a7bdaa7d22.gif

And maybe even a little...

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg.01f041960fd4bde92a5cafdb101112d5.jpg

• Administrator
On 9/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, Qalyar said:

@CGC Mike Appreciated, but is there any chance that you -- or some other representative -- can give us some sort of public feedback on this one? The error itself is bad, but pretty much any chain of events I can envision that would lead to this involves some pretty serious mishandling of submitters' books. Having this happen immediately before you're going to start getting newsstand reholders is not, let's say, encouraging.

It was at the top of the VERY LONG e-mail for QC which gets distributed or bought to the attention of  nearly everyone who handles the books.  I'll try and see what the QC manager finds out.