• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most over-hyped/over-priced comic in your opinion?
3 3

207 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 9:09 AM, Qalyar said:

Looks like ebay finally noticed and purged all of these... for now.

I just reported one this morning on a piece of Eric Larson art, posted about half of what the current Larson going rate is.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, D2 said:

I'd love to hear, I know this is off topic, but reads that people believe have aged well, considering... and could be rendered in the 'timeless' category.

Claremont's run on X-Men for sure, and I'd also post up the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine limited series.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, mephistopheles said:

Just bought full Wolverine and Kitty series last month (I had half the series in my longbox). Wouldn't be surprised to see Kitty in MCU.

I was kind of ribbin D2 a little bit, but I honestly really like that story. I read it when I was a young teenager and the Wolverine mentor concept resonated with me. I'm sure it doesn't age well - but the memories I have of that series trump how well it ages. The lesson of discipline that Kitty learns is a great theme.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/30/2022 at 11:17 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Claremont's run on X-Men for sure, and I'd also post up the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine limited series.

I have actually never read that mini before, but I’ve seen it posted up for recommended reads. I will go buy a trade of this now

On 11/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, D2 said:

I have actually never read that mini before, but I’ve seen it posted up for recommended reads. I will go buy a trade of this now

I'd be interested on your take on it - especially since you've never read it before. I have no idea how it would hold up to a modern read.

Which, speaking of, I'm surprised comics aren't doing what movies are doing - and doing "remakes" of storylines. I'm sure most people would view it as sacrilege on some stories, but it might make for interesting modern reads.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'd be interested on your take on it - especially since you've never read it before. I have no idea how it would hold up to a modern read.

Which, speaking of, I'm surprised comics aren't doing what movies are doing - and doing "remakes" of storylines. I'm sure most people would view it as sacrilege on some stories, but it might make for interesting modern reads.

For God's sake don't give them ideas. Facsimile editions are bad enough. 

On 11/30/2022 at 1:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The art on the Kitty/Wolvy mini was awful.  I tried to enjoy it....but just couldn’t.

Wasn’t that Al Milgrom? I can’t remember.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Wasn’t that Al Milgrom? I can’t remember.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, B2D327 said:

Yes

He was very prolific during that period.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Not that I can blame you for not paying attention to Marvel, but...

On 11/30/2022 at 3:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you only disagreeing because you profited from a sale? I would be happy to have had trash around the home to sell at a premium; Doesn't make the people buying trash any more sensible to me.

No, more because enough people agreed that it wasn't trash in a such a way that rendered it literally no longer trash. It's not like the one I sold is the only one of those that sold for a decent sum in some one-off fluke. Multiple copies have sold for even more than the one I had, and this has been occurring over a sustained period now. Indeed, I only thought to list my copy when I saw what several others had already sold for. I understand the desire some people have that only their own opinion to matter in this regard, but the market isn't driven by what people won't pay for things they don't like, but rather by what others will pay for things they do like. I never expected it to happen with this stuff I merely considered reference material, as I said,  but here we are. 

Edited by jdandns

On 12/1/2022 at 6:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's a Previews magazine that's being touted by flippers as a "first appearance". It's snake oil, fool's gold. People buy NFTs, too. This is simply a very bad argument.

I disagree. The Previews often have an original cover by the artist that makes excellent fodder for Signature Series. Plus the best collectibles are rarely considered collectible when collected or something like that. 

0F30D3EB-CD93-4A9D-B662-9848DC8617EC.jpeg

On 12/1/2022 at 9:07 AM, ThothAmon said:

I disagree. The Previews often have an original cover by the artist that makes excellent fodder for Signature Series. Plus the best collectibles are rarely considered collectible when collected or something like that.

Not today, Satan.