• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most over-hyped/over-priced comic in your opinion?
3 3

207 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2022 at 5:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Spawn, over-hyped? No. Over-priced? Probably.

Spawn is over-everything. Was never my cup of tea. There is always some "Update about the movie" that Tord can't seam to dish out to the fan boys that think his isht smells like fresh baked cinnamon roles.

On 11/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Spawn is over-everything. Was never my cup of tea. There is always some "Update about the movie" that Tord can't seam to dish out to the fan boys that think his isht smells like fresh baked cinnamon roles.

ooof.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Previews magazines with "pre-1st appearance" has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen bought at a premium.

I'd agree with you, but I got over $2,000 (moments after listing it) last year for a raw Marvel Previews #95 (with the Miles Morales Spider-Man cover). I'd only ever saved those for reference, along with Diamond Previews, and other comic companies' house ads, never thinking any of them would have any monetary value whatsoever, so that two grand sure was a nice surprise.

I collect Simpsons TV show comics, so going back to 1993 when the line began, I used to take the monthly Diamond Previews catalog after I'd used them, and tear out the Bongo Comics solicitation pages, to save those as supplements to my collection of the actual comics. Somewhere around 20 years ago, though, I started getting backed up on that, so I'd just put the magazines away, about 8 to a box. With about 30 boxes of those in the garage, I think that's something like 20 years in a row of them. I know there was some interest in the one that previewed the first issue of Walking Dead, and I'm sure I have that one. 

Did you happen to see this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403951033597?hash=item5e0d5b9cfd%3Ag%3AmMkAAOSwRoxii0RG&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoL2vfHJRTSVPs4%2B8ad0PQbaEO9X6yQHXSpLsp6fQ81IoGp2BrOwDwxDu5%2FPcBppeR8Fskvwmw2fe6iQafS7Xn9dLVAM7R%2FDnEFFdu%2BZH6Bs4V25MLHGStU8MP88k005tLJrLHIkG9Gnm12QMg9nw6bCFLRQok6Dxn52iYJ0kp4n2QKjoBANmTDJPEWkB0JeVPsoyJOCLTlbBUqr1S74hxM8%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_ykwtuYYQ&nma=true&si=tAb6NxgP5DD0Arg9VPDMEV5W0bU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This isn't even the thick several hundred page Previews Catalog. This is the dang order form booklet! From only 3 years ago! Even I didn't save those. I'd usually write on them when figuring out my pre-order total and then throw them away, which I'm sure I did with this one. What a fool I was!

On 11/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, jdandns said:

I'd agree with you, but I got over $2,000 (moments after listing it) last year for a raw Marvel Previews #95 (with the Miles Morales Spider-Man cover). I'd only ever saved those for reference, along with Diamond Previews, and other comic companies' house ads, never thinking any of them would have any monetary value whatsoever, so that two grand sure was a nice surprise.

I collect Simpsons TV show comics, so going back to 1993 when the line began, I used to take the monthly Diamond Previews catalog after I'd used them, and tear out the Bongo Comics solicitation pages, to save those as supplements to my collection of the actual comics. Somewhere around 20 years ago, though, I started getting backed up on that, so I'd just put the magazines away, about 8 to a box. With about 30 boxes of those in the garage, I think that's something like 20 years in a row of them. I know there was some interest in the one that previewed the first issue of Walking Dead, and I'm sure I have that one. 

Did you happen to see this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403951033597?hash=item5e0d5b9cfd%3Ag%3AmMkAAOSwRoxii0RG&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoL2vfHJRTSVPs4%2B8ad0PQbaEO9X6yQHXSpLsp6fQ81IoGp2BrOwDwxDu5%2FPcBppeR8Fskvwmw2fe6iQafS7Xn9dLVAM7R%2FDnEFFdu%2BZH6Bs4V25MLHGStU8MP88k005tLJrLHIkG9Gnm12QMg9nw6bCFLRQok6Dxn52iYJ0kp4n2QKjoBANmTDJPEWkB0JeVPsoyJOCLTlbBUqr1S74hxM8%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_ykwtuYYQ&nma=true&si=tAb6NxgP5DD0Arg9VPDMEV5W0bU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This isn't even the thick several hundred page Previews Catalog. This is the dang order form booklet! From only 3 years ago! Even I didn't save those. I'd usually write on them when figuring out my pre-order total and then throw them away, which I'm sure I did with this one. What a fool I was!

What's the market like on the Simpsons? I pulled 3 Bongo Simpsons #1 and 2 Itchy & Scratchy #1 out of my childhood longbox. Weird thing is I thought I stopped collecting in 1989.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:16 PM, mephistopheles said:

What's the market like on the Simpsons? I pulled 3 Bongo Simpsons #1 and 2 Itchy & Scratchy #1 out of my childhood longbox. Weird thing is I thought I stopped collecting in 1989.

Definitely looking up on Simpsons ongoing #1, although I'm thinking the first Simpsons comic book stories (before the one-shot from Welsh publishing, the first regular sized Simpsons comic) actually appear in Simpsons Illustrated magazine, so those may eventually get some heat. There were 9 issues and a 3D special, if I'm remembering right.

Beyond that, there are some early reprint issues with a "Bartcode" in the UPC box that indicate they are from 4-packs and therefore a limited edition, at least compared to the sizable productions run of the early years (93-96), which is probably as big as it ever got for Simpsons Comics. By the time the line limped to the finish a few years ago, albeit after an impressive quarter-century overall run, the print runs on those later issues apparently dipped to well under 10,000 copies. Ultimately, the later issues of their three main titles (Simpsons, Futurama, Spongebob) will be the hardest to find. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, jdandns said:

Definitely looking up on Simpsons ongoing #1, although I'm thinking the first Simpsons comic book stories (before the one-shot from Welsh publishing, the first regular sized Simpsons comic) actually appear in Simpsons Illustrated magazine, so those may eventually get some heat. There were 9 issues and a 3D special, if I'm remembering right.

Beyond that, there are some early reprint issues with a "Bartcode" in the UPC box that indicate they are from 4-packs and therefore a limited edition, at least compared to the sizable productions run of the early years (93-96), which is probably as big as it ever got for Simpsons Comics. By the time the line limped to the finish a few years ago, albeit after an impressive quarter-century overall run, the print runs on those later issues apparently dipped to well under 10,000 copies. Ultimately, the later issues of their three main titles (Simpsons, Futurama, Spongebob) will be the hardest to find. 

The same thing happened with Marvel's Groo. The 3 final issues 118-120 are more desirable/expensive due to low print runs.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, mephistopheles said:

Race/gender/sexuality swapping established characters to score identity politics points is the epitome of woke.

I'd say more trying to get a larger audience for the real money, which is in the movies whose stories are taken from the comics. Let's face it, if only comic readers, most of whom look like you and me, grey hair and all,  bought movie tickets, then all comic book movies would bomb, and they stop making them. In rough seas, the best bet is to cast a wider net. Comic book heroes have mostly looked like me for my entire life. I'm enjoying seeing something different.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Kirby is one of my favourite artists, but everyone has an occasional off day...

Richard-Dragon-03---08.jpg

At his peak he was great. Not here.

I love me some Kirby too but sometimes (shrug)

IMG_8808.thumb.JPG.ef93d1c180a3e5a472a4815653d75b83.JPG

On 11/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, mephistopheles said:

The same thing happened with Marvel's Groo. The 3 final issues 118-120 are more desirable/expensive due to low print runs.

It's very common, that phenomenon. Sometimes, people don't know what they had until it's gone. When Mad Magazine got cancelled, I pledged that if it ever came back, I'd never miss an issue. 30+ issues of the second series later, and I have them all, even though they're mostly reprints. Yup, $5 a month for a new cover, a new fold-in, and an occasional new page or two here and there.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:07 PM, Terry JSA said:

Uh huh.. as if comic books weren’t already politically aware prior to that.

I learned to be a the kind of person to help whenever I could, in part, from Peter Parker. 

If the latest and maybe next few generations are more amenable to following that same example when set by Miles Morales, I'm all for it. 

On 11/30/2022 at 2:11 AM, jdandns said:

I'd say more trying to get a larger audience for the real money, which is in the movies whose stories are taken from the comics. Let's face it, if only comic readers, most of whom look like you and me, grey hair and all,  bought movie tickets, then all comic book movies would bomb, and they stop making them. In rough seas, the best bet is to cast a wider net. Comic book heroes have mostly looked like me for my entire life. I'm enjoying seeing something different.

I agree with everything you say apart from the last part, enjoying it? I think it's Turd, I think the last Avengers movie was the last Marvel movie I watched, I can't get away with them, I've tried, but end up switching off after 20 minutes or so, fortunately for Marvel the targeted audience seems to lap this bilge up. :headpat:   :whistle: 

On 11/29/2022 at 10:07 PM, Terry JSA said:

Uh huh.. as if comic books weren’t already politically aware prior to that.

That's the thing. They were. Why not promote existing diverse characters instead of messing with existing characters. We know it can be done. Look at the success of Black Panther.