• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most over-hyped/over-priced comic in your opinion?
3 3

207 posts in this topic

UF 15  the hype on this book is unbeliveable yes I managed to find both the original and the variant yes I had them slabbed and yes I sold them her on the CGC board both came back high grads and the stupid money I got for my $3.50 X2  managed to help me get some real gold Silver Age. I am still not convinced that Miles is the future regardless if he finally gets his due and is a "major" Peter Parker will forever be the SPIDER-MAN and I'm sure as long as I live he will still be the Amazing Spider-man.     God Bless Stan and Steve

On 11/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, Ken Aldred said:

He’s a very good artist, but that seems quite overrated.  Perhaps I’m missing something, for example, that he’s this generation’s choice for comic book fine art, just as Alex Ross was in the 90s and BWS in the 70s?

"Fine art(ist)"? No, but his style is iconic for my generation, in the same manner that DBZ's style of cartoon is iconic.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, newshane said:

Spawn. :cloud9:

I used to own them all in 9.8. 

No. Seriously. 1-330. All 9.8. 14 or so 9.9s. Even the turbo rare 185 BW.  

It was epic and there will never be another Spawn collection to match it. 

#BRAGPOST 

Wish I would have held on a bit longer before selling the collection, but I never expected to see such an inflation. 

This means you're no longer competition when a Spawn #1 Gem Mint hits the market?

On 11/27/2022 at 7:35 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s eventually what stopped me from following his art. By the time you get to the second Spider-Man series it was busy, confusing, and sloppy and poorly composed, as well as the anatomical issues.

I feel very similar about Kirby art, except that Kirby’s art was crude, ugly, and horribly composed.  And let’s not forget all of those ridiculous squiggles on peoples arms, legs, and torso’s…what the heck were they supposed to resembled?  Muscles?  Not a chance!

On 11/29/2022 at 1:15 AM, Qalyar said:

A few 90s variants do okay, although certainly not IH181 / ASM300 / UF4 kinds of money. In part, that's because interest in 90s books overall is generally low. But a very partial list of variants that still command reasonable money might include:

• Adventures of Superman 500 Platinum
  • Batman 457 2nd print newsstand
  • Black Widow 1 DF variant
  • Danger Girl 2 Ruby Red
  • Gambit 1 Gold
  • IH 377 3rd print
  • Marvel Collectible Classics Spider-Man 2 Black Costume variant
  • Sailor Moon 1 Pink
  • Spawn 1 B&W
  • Spider-Man 1 Gold Walmart exclusive
  • Spider-Man 1 Platinum
  • Vengeance of Vampirella 1 Blue
  • Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant

X-Men 25 Black and White

On 11/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, The Commissioner said:

What are you talking about? :roflmao:

Resized_Snapchat-472190193.thumb.jpeg.da28cc642de23634e92b79bafe41357e.jpeg

Kirby is one of my favourite artists, but everyone has an occasional off day...

Richard-Dragon-03---08.jpg

At his peak he was great. Not here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, newshane said:

The demand will always be super high, but it doesn't justify the massive price bubbles.

We're looking at it from a collector rather than dealer perspective. 

Demand, mania, frenzy has often led to gouging regardless of supply.  An example would be Miller's Dark Knight Returns 1.  In an LCS here at the time a customer would be told that the book had sold out and was in short supply, so it was triple cover already for a restock copy, soon after appearing on the shelves.  Then, you'd see the owner pull a copy out from a big box of them under the counter.  Apparent supply has been manipulated frequently.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Kirby = Liefeld of the 60s. 

Every character has the same face...among other problems. lol 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:02 PM, batmiesta said:

Imagine all the good books you could buy with that kind of money, obviously the bidders have every book ever printed apart from this one. (shrug)

Even if I were a millionaire I would question buying this crud. Exactly what you said. The possibilities with ~30K :cloud9: