• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New custom Marvel labels are now available
8 8

140 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 4/9/2024 at 12:37 AM, WOLVERINE335 said:

We're moving from "early" April into "mid" April.  Any news/announcements on the horizon?  Can we get a specific date?  Thanks.

Hi

No, I don't have a specific date to post.  Hopefully, it will be this week.  

Mike

• Administrator

This is what I have been told by the marketing manager.

"They are at the printer for another round of testing. Hopefully we will get them in-house in a few weeks so we can launch them." 

On 4/24/2024 at 6:47 AM, CGC Mike said:

This is what I have been told by the marketing manager.

"They are at the printer for another round of testing. Hopefully we will get them in-house in a few weeks so we can launch them." 

Hey Mike, Any updates?

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 9:03 AM, Cor88b said:

Hey Mike, Any updates?

Hi

I am sorry but, I have not received any updates.  Lets give it another week, and if there is no announcement by then, I will contact the marketing manager.

Mike

On 5/16/2024 at 9:17 PM, DougC said:

Looks like we should receive new labels soonTM

image.png.91f10d2686c6c189eb454b8f6e4c24b9.png

Saw This and was hoping they’d take more than 4 to add more than 4, fingers crossed for some bangers. Odds are wild.

Long wait to only swap out 4 labels.  Geez.  

If I could choose the new 4... I'd go with Punisher, (Old School) Sgt. Fury, Dr. Strange, and Darth Vader (or Han Solo, or some other Star Wars themed label).

What's everyone else hoping for?

On 5/20/2024 at 10:08 PM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Long wait to only swap out 4 labels.  Geez.  

If I could choose the new 4... I'd go with Punisher, (Old School) Sgt. Fury, Dr. Strange, and Darth Vader (or Han Solo, or some other Star Wars themed label).

What's everyone else hoping for?

we are a long time outside of the "new labels going to be announced in April" time frame...:ohnoez:

I would really like to see a generic golden age label; maybe a group shot of various public domain characters.

Though I think we will get 4 modern characters/teams looking at current and past labels I would guess Hulk, another new spider-man style, a new X-Men style, and Deadpool. I think they are going to be super safe with what labels they license to focus on profit. 

If they would just structure their deal with Marvel to be based on the number of custom labels ordered, then neither CGC nor Marvel would have any reason to care WHICH labels people were buying, right?  And in that situation, they could put out 25 (or 50... or 100) new label options every year!  What difference would it make?  It's not like they have to buy them first, guessing how many of each label customers will order.  They're just buying the rights to print them... then printing them whenever a CGC custom label order comes in.  It's very hard to guess at the logic behind how this deal is being implemented.

Similarly, I find it impossible to understand how they haven't reached a deal with DC yet.

The only explanation that would have made sense to me is if their deal with Marvel stipulated that Marvel labels would be used exclusively.  But according to CGC Mike, "We have made multiple attempts with DC to get a signed contract for custom labels.  To date, none have been successful."  So clearly, the deal with Marvel must not be exclusive.

If the issue is from DC's side then... Seems like someone is really dropping the ball there.  Not only could they generate a new revenue source with zero work, zero expense and zero risk... but they also get free advertising of their characters on thousands of labels showcased online in auctions, and in person at conventions and local comic shops, etc.

It's truly inexplicable.  Unless of course I'm completely overlooking something.  (shrug)

On 5/27/2024 at 11:17 PM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Similarly, I find it impossible to understand how they haven't reached a deal with DC yet.

The only explanation that would have made sense to me is if their deal with Marvel stipulated that Marvel labels would be used exclusively.  But according to CGC Mike, "We have made multiple attempts with DC to get a signed contract for custom labels.  To date, none have been successful."  So clearly, the deal with Marvel must not be exclusive.

If the issue is from DC's side then... Seems like someone is really dropping the ball there.  Not only could they generate a new revenue source with zero work, zero expense and zero risk... but they also get free advertising of their characters on thousands of labels showcased online in auctions, and in person at conventions and local comic shops, etc.

It's truly inexplicable.  Unless of course I'm completely overlooking something.  (shrug)

I do have some ancillary information on the DC front and posted this before.

DC is exceptionally difficult and demanding to deal with, they view it as "protecting their brand" which is why there are so few DC store variant exclusives. Back in the 2010s I worked with a comic shop trying to get an exclusive DC cover, it was frustratingly difficult and very expensive! in the end, the shop switched to a Marvel cover and the deal was wrapped up in 3 weeks at a third of the cost. Everything with DC was a sticking point from approved art (had to use current costume), approved artist, min/max order supply, a stop order after 30 days to no longer sell books (they had to be destroyed), store branding on the comic, and the escalating cost throughout the process.

There are actually two custom CGC DC labels that were put out by Diamond, though no one knows the agreement details. They look really nice.

image.png.3a033c14c4e8a885625ecbfe6c8845bd.png

image.png.2470fe680ea01386abfd8217a52ac648.png

On 5/28/2024 at 2:46 AM, DougC said:

I do have some ancillary information on the DC front and posted this before.

DC is exceptionally difficult and demanding to deal with, they view it as "protecting their brand" which is why there are so few DC store variant exclusives. Back in the 2010s I worked with a comic shop trying to get an exclusive DC cover, it was frustratingly difficult and very expensive! in the end, the shop switched to a Marvel cover and the deal was wrapped up in 3 weeks at a third of the cost. Everything with DC was a sticking point from approved art (had to use current costume), approved artist, min/max order supply, a stop order after 30 days to no longer sell books (they had to be destroyed), store branding on the comic, and the escalating cost throughout the process.

There are actually two custom CGC DC labels that were put out by Diamond, though no one knows the agreement details. They look really nice.

image.png.3a033c14c4e8a885625ecbfe6c8845bd.png

image.png.2470fe680ea01386abfd8217a52ac648.png

Thank you for that insight.  So yes, it certainly appears that the problem is DC!  It's just hard to understand from a business standpoint why they would operate in such a manner.

Those DC labels do look nice.  Were they ever available for the general public?  Or just placed onto those particular books for some type of limited time promotion?

On 5/28/2024 at 12:45 PM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Thank you for that insight.  So yes, it certainly appears that the problem is DC!  It's just hard to understand from a business standpoint why they would operate in such a manner.

Those DC labels do look nice.  Were they ever available for the general public?  Or just placed onto those particular books for some type of limited time promotion?

I looked back over my original notes when I first found out about these and I was incorrect in who distributed them. Diamond did not give these out as DC had parted ways with them when they shut down during the pandemic. These books were given out to retailers (one per store as an incentive) who ordered through DC's new distribution houses UCS & Lunar (each got a different book). I cannot verify the next part as I didn't write down a source but apparently these were encapsulated back in 2016 and unused as a deal was not reached (or maybe fell through?) and sat in storage until they were given out in 2020.

They are a very good example of DC micromanaging/meddling though with the incessant branding: "DC Certified" under comic name, "DC logo", "comic title logo", another DC logo in the background...

sucks I honestly prefer the custom label over the grade. I can't tell the difference between a 9.2-9.9 just if some grader had a good day or not. Gotten some pretty bad binary tears and color rubs get a 9.8 on huge books then ridiculous perfect 10.0 book coming back a 7.5 for a finger print. 

The Deadpool 9.9 label hopefully comes back. Would love that in a lot of my books and the Scottie Young Dr Doom playing with super heroes