• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

Glad to see this brought up here. One of my buddies is the kid from Hatchback Comics his name is Josh he is the trailer with his father. He told me about this find quite some time ago and has pics with the Bat and Sups  with his Dad. His Father and him run a small quick flip kind of business selling mostly SA and BA keys and runs books. Some of the collection is already being sold on commission just filler type books nothing crazy. I was told indeed the big stuff is going through Heritage but that was several months ago. I do hope the show gets put out there I think it would be neat to see a closer look at this massive collection. I did ask months ago if the collection had any type of Fox or esoteric WWII books and Josh said he didn’t think so but Golden Age isn’t really their bread and butter he’s more into Moon Knight etc. I am sure if there were a stack of early Tecs or Caps they would have been noted. The astonishing part was the multiples of the Silver and bronze age keys etc. 

On 12/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Glad to see this brought up here. One of my buddies is the kid from Hatchback Comics his name is Josh he is the trailer with his father. He told me about this find quite some time ago and has pics with the Bat and Sups  with his Dad. His Father and him run a small quick flip kind of business selling mostly SA and BA keys and runs books. Some of the collection is already being sold on commission just filler type books nothing crazy. I was told indeed the big stuff is going through Heritage but that was several months ago. I do hope the show gets put out there I think it would be neat to see a closer look at this massive collection. I did ask months ago if the collection had any type of Fox or esoteric WWII books and Josh said he didn’t think so but Golden Age isn’t really their bread and butter he’s more into Moon Knight etc. I am sure if there were a stack of early Tecs or Caps they would have been noted. The astonishing part was the multiples of the Silver and bronze age keys etc. 

Amazing that these big finds more or less always end up on Heritage. But they’re definitely offering better, if not only slightly better fee reductions. So I guess that helps.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:25 AM, PDGray said:

Is this being marked a new pedigree or just a collection?

What an amazing collection!!

PDG

I wouldn't think so. 

I believe pedigrees have to be original owner collections. It sounds like this was a collector who acquired books along the way.... Many many books 

On 12/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

hey thanks! It’s great to get the opportunity to work with Darren and his collection 

On 12/21/2022 at 6:20 PM, Josh Chrisman said:

hey thanks! It’s great to get the opportunity to work with Darren and his collection 

It’s about time you posted on here!!:applause: WTTB (Welcome to the Boards)

You want to REALLY learn about comics and their history and talk to some of the biggest fish in the sea This IS the place…and it’s FREE!! 

Can you share with the class any updates you have either about the collection or the Documentary? Obviously the teaser is out there so the cat is out of the bag!! 

Maybe share how the experience was taking it all in or even how you got your foot in the door in the first place it’s a very special story that deserves to be shared!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple of guys!!

On 12/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, aardvark88 said:

I did not see a topic on this.

Matt Nelson, Harley Yee, and estate family members chat about this incredibly deep estate collection full of golden age keys, multiple copies of silver age and bronze age keys, semi-keys in 2024 documentary 'Selling Superman.' CGC article link here. More info: https://www.sellingsuperman.com/

I like the "He put his hand on my shoulder and said ‘let me clean it and press it up'"

On 12/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

It’s about time you posted on here!!:applause: WTTB (Welcome to the Boards)

You want to REALLY learn about comics and their history and talk to some of the biggest fish in the sea This IS the place…and it’s FREE!! 

Can you share with the class any updates you have either about the collection or the Documentary? Obviously the teaser is out there so the cat is out of the bag!! 

Maybe share how the experience was taking it all in or even how you got your foot in the door in the first place it’s a very special story that deserves to be shared!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple of guys!!

Yea for sure! I met Darren at motor city in 2021 which I wasn’t even supposed to be at it was a last minute show my buddy Jamie Stewart invited me too as far as updates go I found some real nice action comics from the 240-300 range last I went it’s always a good time going through the boxes and finding cool stuff!

On 12/22/2022 at 11:05 PM, Josh Chrisman said:

Yea for sure! I met Darren at motor city in 2021 which I wasn’t even supposed to be at it was a last minute show my buddy Jamie Stewart invited me too as far as updates go I found some real nice action comics from the 240-300 range last I went it’s always a good time going through the boxes and finding cool stuff!

Awesome!! So how does that work you find some cool books and is Darren letting you guys sell some on commission? Are you allowed to purchase anything if see something that really catches your eye? 

A couple months ago I went over 100 slabbed comics, to go with about 5 long boxes of just random stuff (nothing over 20 bucks a book) from my youth (79-87). I recall surveying my stash and thinking that I had really accomplished something. Then I see something like this and realize I am just a peasant. It is so cool to me that collections like this exist, even if I will never have 1/1000th of it. 

On 12/22/2022 at 11:13 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Awesome!! So how does that work you find some cool books and is Darren letting you guys sell some on commission? Are you allowed to purchase anything if see something that really catches your eye? 

Yea I’m selling books on commission for Darren with the exception of the big books those are heritage bound. And yes if I see something that I want for my personal collection I am able to buy it!

On 12/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, Josh Chrisman said:

Yea I’m selling books on commission for Darren with the exception of the big books those are heritage bound. And yes if I see something that I want for my personal collection I am able to buy it!

Are you taking want lists?

On 12/23/2022 at 4:08 PM, Josh Chrisman said:

Maybe Take a shot at selling on here!!  Are you guys including certificates or anything to denote the provenance of this vast collection?