• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, tth2 said:

Yeah, but its existence is already known so it doesn't count as new to market anymore.

well, we can't say it isn't new to market if its never been to market.    But I hear you in that the initial discovery phase is gone.    

On 3/29/2023 at 10:17 AM, tth2 said:

Sometimes it's the kids who have no interest in the hobby.  I gave my daughter many chances to get into comics, but she just wasn't into it.

I feel that too. My kids are both still young, and there is some interest, but not like I had at that age. I hope they find their place in the hobby. But if not, I'll become the biggest fan of (insert whatever random passion they develop) :)

As a collector in the late '70s, I encouraged several friends to invest in Silver Age Marvel keys. This was when those books were selling for hundreds (or less), not thousands or millions. I see some of those guys now and then, and they still have those assets. I was silly enough to sell all of mine off in the early '80s... d'oh!

But there must be hundreds of prime collections still out there, locked away... until the time comes when widows and kids look to offload them all.

Is it just me or is this collection turning into the next “Promise” collection hype wise? Other than the size of it, not a whole lot of rare or GA books have surfaced. Being “pimped” to the max.

The Berk collection was FAR better and in my opinion worth the hype.

This is just one of many large collections of nice books that will be surfacing in the years to come.

Or, do we all just need something to talk about? 

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/2/2023 at 11:38 AM, Robot Man said:

turning into the next “Promise” collection

Not to my mind. An avid collector’s collection, while awesome, does not make a pedigree collection. As far as he wife divorcing him over it?  It’s hard to walk in anyone else’s shoes but to oversimplify he picked the wrong wife and she picked the wrong husband.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, ThothAmon said:

Not to my mind. An avid collector’s collection, while awesome, does not make a pedigree collection. As far as he wife divorcing him over it?  It’s hard to walk in anyone else’s shoes but to oversimplify he picked the wrong wife and she picked the wrong husband.

Not a pedigree collection but enough to get CGC to come up with a “special label” for a price I’m sure…

And one of the most depressing “stories” of any collection I’ve heard.

Strictly a money grab…

On 4/2/2023 at 12:02 PM, Robot Man said:

Not a pedigree collection but enough to get CGC to come up with a “special label” for a price I’m sure…

And one of the most depressing “stories” of any collection I’ve heard.

Strictly a money grab…

It is a depressing story. It could all be very true, but when they make these docu-dramas they always create a confrontation type situation just to make it more interesting. For example Pumping Iron 1977- Arnold and Ferrigno were enemies, but they weren't and never were. It's just to create drama. 

On 4/2/2023 at 11:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Is it just me or is this collection turning into the next “Promise” collection hype wise? Other than the size of it, not a whole lot of rare or GA books have surfaced. Being “pimped” to the max.

The Berk collection was FAR better and in my opinion worth the hype.

This is just one of many large collections of nice books that will be surfacing in the years to come.

Or, do well all just need something to talk about? 

The Berk collection was of greater interest to more sophisticated collectors because many of the books were so rare, particularly in grade.  But to the general public or even the general comic collecting public, a bunch of really obscure GA titles meant very little.

In contrast, this collection has big GA books that everyone can relate to (Superman 1 and Batman 1), and, more importantly, apparently has lots and lots of SA Marvel, which is what makes our hobby go round. 

I just tune out the hype and focus on the books.  Never bought into they hype for the Promise collection and am not interested in it for this collection.  From what I've seen of this collection, I don't think there's much of great interest for me.  Lots of SA Marvel keys, but not in ultra-high grade. 

On 4/2/2023 at 9:52 AM, tth2 said:

Lots of SA Marvel keys, but not in ultra-high grade.

This was also the impression that I got from the way the books were being handled and sold off, even with respect to the BA and later books.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/2/2023 at 9:52 AM, tth2 said:

I just tune out the hype and focus on the books.  Never bought into they hype for the Promise collection and am not interested in it for this collection.  From what I've seen of this collection, I don't think there's much of great interest for me.  Lots of SA Marvel keys, but not in ultra-high grade. 

As far as I have seen, me neither. I am mostly a GA and just post code non superhero collector. I did buy a few cool mid grade Atlas Everett cover books from Harley last week at WonderCon at guide prices. He asked me if I wanted a “certificate” and I said sure. Didn’t really look and he slipped them in behind the backing boards. Was suprised to see the “Fantast” on them signed by the son. Makes me wonder how far his dad went back past the SA. Just not worth the hype they are bringing. (and obviously, any price bump)…

On 4/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, lou_fine said:

This was also the impression that I got from the way the books were being handled and sold off, even with respect to the BA and later books.  (shrug)

Sound like a massive “dump” of the lesser books to dealers. Certainly not worthy of a “special label” from CGC. 

On 4/2/2023 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

I did buy a few cool mid grade Atlas Everett cover books from Harley last week at WonderCon at guide prices.

Well, if Harley was selling them at only guide prices, then I imagine there's nothing in there like a Weird Mysteries 4 that Heritage just sold for $43,200 in CGC 7.0 or was you lucky enough to snag a book like this one here at the full guide price of only $568:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/teen-age-romances-13-st-john-1950-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94179.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Teen-Age Romances #13 (St. John, 1950) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Much better than paying the $11,400 that it sold for just yesterday at Heritage.  :whatthe:

On 4/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Sound like a massive “dump” of the lesser books to dealers. Certainly not worthy of a “special label” from CGC. 

Did he buy the old story that used to be in the Overstreet price guides for the longest time.................namely that due to high inventory carrying costs, transportation, and what have you, in most cases dealers could pay only fractions of the valuations listed in the price guide.  :devil:  doh!

On 3/31/2023 at 7:30 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/30/2023 at 9:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, there's the Chinatown Collection that's still waiting in the wings to make its appearance in the marketplace after all these long long years. (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Yeah, but its existence is already known so it doesn't count as new to market anymore.

At the rate it's going, we'll all probably be long gone to that big comic shop in the sky by the time the Chinatown Collection does come to market. :taptaptap:

On 4/3/2023 at 3:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if Harley was selling them at only guide prices, then I imagine there's nothing in there like a Weird Mysteries 4 that Heritage just sold for $43,200 in CGC 7.0 or was you lucky enough to snag a book like this one here at the full guide price of only $568:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/teen-age-romances-13-st-john-1950-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94179.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Teen-Age Romances #13 (St. John, 1950) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Much better than paying the $11,400 that it sold for just yesterday at Heritage.  :whatthe:

Super Heroes are dead! :yeehaw:

wow, I'm glad I only wade in the SA pool :tumbleweed:

On 3/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, Bronty said:

I guess the OO collections are done and this is the leading edge of the estates of big early collectors.    Guys that fit the profile of people like bangzoom, etc (who will hopefully be around for many years).

This is what everyone said in the 1990s when the More Fun collection came out.  

On 4/4/2023 at 8:50 AM, buttock said:

This is what everyone said in the 1990s when the More Fun collection came out.  

Oh, I remember this collection coming out and ordering a nice copy of a late Wings with what is now recognized as a classic Lubbers GGA cover from Bill at the time.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Unfortunately for Bill, the More Fun collection came out at a time (probably around 1996) which was seen as the end of that short but big GA bubble that ran sky high from 1994 through to the early part of 1996.  Bill probably could have made a lot more money from the collection if it had come out a year or even a few months earlier.  :frown: