• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, sfcityduck said:

The description?:  Action Comics #61 (DC, 1943) CGC Conserved VG 4.0 Off-white pages. This classic Atomic radiation Superman cover is by Jack Burnley. 

Only one problem: That cover is from June 1943 (e.g., before the A-Bomb or radiation scares). That's an oil field fire cover not an atomic radiation cover. 

They probably got this from the Overstreet Price Guide where the latest current edition still denotes it as "Historic Actomic Radiation-c (6/43)". :facepalm:

Unless this continuing error is left in there for potential infringement of copyright purposes which some books tend to do.  (shrug)

On 4/7/2023 at 5:00 PM, buttock said:

True, a barn find with 17 original miles and intact paint is going to be worth more than a concours level restoration, but that's the exception.  I learned to drive on a '66 mustang that my dad bought brand new and drove until 2010.  The amount of interest that car got was tremendous.  

fyi, I inherited my dad's '66 mustang. Nothing fancy, definitely not 17 miles.  Its in the garage - I run it around the neighborhood a couple times a year.

On 4/8/2023 at 12:23 PM, path4play said:

fyi, I inherited my dad's '66 mustang. Nothing fancy, definitely not 17 miles.  Its in the garage - I run it around the neighborhood a couple times a year.

Hey!  I was born in 1966.  Us old geezers can handle more than a just a run around a neighborhood a couple times a year. It's better for things of that vintage to run around a bit more frequently. Enjoy it!

On 4/8/2023 at 1:23 PM, path4play said:

My dad offered it to me around 10 years ago.  I loved muscle cars when I was a kid.  But in my late 30s, the appeal of all the creature comforts and safety features of modern cars won over.  I didn't want to end up with shattered knees from a fender bender.  So I just let him sell it.  It was a tough decision, but not one I regret. 

On 4/8/2023 at 7:19 AM, tth2 said:

For 20th-century books from the 1930s and earlier, do dust jackets in NM or better condition exist?  Or is VF the best that anyone can hope for, or is even that super rare (the equivalent of a NM+ comic book)?

As a practical matter, the highest grade an old collectible book from the 1930s could get is "Fine."  See below grading scale.  And, yes, I have some 1930s books with immaculate dust jackets.

As New (abbreviated A.N.) This is an unused, unread, clean and flawless copy of the book.

Fine, (abbreviated F) Fine is very close to As New in condition, except that the book may have been been previously opened or carefully read.

Very Good (abbreviated VG) This is a book that shows signs of prevoius ownership and use, but it’s still very nice copy. If there are any flaws or defects such as the former owner’s name (FON) or the former owner’s initials (FOI) , they need to be specifically noted.

Good (abbreviated G) Possibly the most confusing book condition for the layman. A good condtion book will show significant wear including the potential for tears in the dust jacket, wear on the edges of the wraps or boards as well as the textblock. Specific issues should still be noted. A good condition book should still have all pages and a fully intact cover.

Fair is a book with noticable wear. Some non-essential pages such as the Front Free End Paper(FFEP) or Rear Free End Paper (RFEP) may possilby be missing but the entire text and all plates should be still present. A Fair condition book isn’t typically considered collectible condition (except in cases where scarcity is such a factor that a better copy isn’t commonly avaialble). Fair condition books are still servicable reading copies.

Poor A book with significant wear and faults. A poor condition book is still a reading copy with the full text still readable. Any missing pages must be specifically noted.

Reading Copy A reading copy is typically a book with whose condition does not merit it to be collectible. A reading copy of a book is still perfectly useable for reading. A collector may well have both a collectible copy of a favorite work to cherish and display, and a reading copy of that same title to read or loan out to others, preserving the more valuable one from wear or loss.

Binding Copy: A binding copy is the complete text of the book (unless specfically otherwise note) but the condition of the binding, if in fact there still is one, is signficantly degraded or damaged as to require the book to be entirely rebound to be servicable.

Ex Library: In traditional book description guidelines, this is a book condition unto itself. The statement that the book was removed from library circulation historically indicated that the book had no collectible value due to certain standard practices of libraries such as ink stamps asserting ownership and uniquely durable tape binding the dust jacket to the rest of the book. That old standard has relaxed some over the years.

On 4/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, sfcityduck said:

Thanks for the answer.  But I'm still mystified as to what the criteria for a "provenance status" is.  

To me, good marketing is based on factual claims, not pure puffery.  I see so many false claims in the comic world it makes me wonder if this hobby is populated by suckers. So many false claims are made that have been thoroughly debunked on this site.  An example: On March 26 Heritage sold this Action 61:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #61 (DC, 1943) CGC Conserved VG 4.0 Off-white pages....

The description?:  Action Comics #61 (DC, 1943) CGC Conserved VG 4.0 Off-white pages. This classic Atomic radiation Superman cover is by Jack Burnley. 

Only one problem: That cover is from June 1943 (e.g., before the A-Bomb or radiation scares). That's an oil field fire cover not an atomic radiation cover.  The background shows four oil drilling rigs in the background.  The men are wearing classic oil fire firefighting gear.  Superman is dropping down to plug a pipe going down into the earth that is clearly on fire (a chemical reaction) not emitting radiation.  This "radiation cover" B.S. has been debunked on this site repeatedly and the error pointed out to Heritage, CGC, and OPG.  I believe Clink even fixed its description once when this error was pointed out to them.  And yet, dealers love to call this a "radiation cover" in the hopes that A-Bomb collectors (like me) will be suckered into buying it.  To its credit, CGC does not call it a "radiation cover" or try to link to the A-Bomb.  Heritage, to its shame does. That's not marketing.  That misrepresenting.  

A different example: On March 19 Heritage sold this:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color #386 Uncle Scrooge (Dell, 1952) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

The description? Four Color #386 Uncle Scrooge (Dell, 1952) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages. Uncle Scrooge in "Only a Poor Old Man", with a Carl Barks story, cover (Uncle Scrooge's fist cover appearance), and art. 

Only one problem:  FC 386 is NOT Uncle Scrooge's first cover appearance. Not even close. More like his fifth. This one has also been debunked many times on this site. It is a monumentally dumb claim that's obviously false because seven issues before FC 386 this comic came Scrooge was on the cover of FC 379.  FC 386 isn't even the first scrooge cover by Barks.  Barks did the cover of FC 353 (33 issues before FC 386), a Duck Album, with Scrooge on the cover. And there were Scrooge covers before that.  Yet this false claim is repeatedly made by Heritage and dealers even though CGC does not call FC 386 the first Scrooge cover. Not marketing just misrepresentation.

I'm just tired of seeing false claims repeated so often that lazy folks begin to believe them.  Describing this Fantast collection as one of the "greatest collections" ever is just plain dumb.  We ought not let that kind of "puffery" pass unchallenged.

The Action I would say you are right.

I never seen a cgc four color 386 say first cover appearance. (shrug)lf?set=path%5B5%2F2%2F1%2F521986%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

So talking with Harley, the collection contains a few books with approximately 100 copies in the collection.   These are from the time of the shop, so 70's books.   The one that stood out is Star Wars #1.

The movie he's looking to make, will be $15 a view, and he's expecting 150,000 viewers.   The consensus is that his friends will talk some sense into around this.   He's got a lot of close, and very old friends working with him on this venture.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:10 PM, woowoo said:

What is his first cover app this? I think 386 is the first Barks cover app(shrug)lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F6%2F9%2F9%2F15699558%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Vacation Parade 2 is Scrooge’s first cover.  FC 353 is his first cover by Barks.  FC 379 certainly also predates FC 386. 

On 4/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, lou_fine said:

They probably got this from the Overstreet Price Guide where the latest current edition still denotes it as "Historic Actomic Radiation-c (6/43)". :facepalm:

Unless this continuing error is left in there for potential infringement of copyright purposes which some books tend to do.  (shrug)

this has been a topic many times over on these boards forever ..... doesn't look like it will ever be corrected (like Lois Lane's first cover, Jack Burnley civer Bats 9, etc.etc.)

On 6/8/2023 at 8:35 AM, fishbone said:

this has been a topic many times over on these boards forever ..... doesn't look like it will ever be corrected (like Lois Lane's first cover, Jack Burnley civer Bats 9, etc.etc.)

I think I was the first one to point out that it is an Oil Field Fire way back in 2015 or so.  Some people argued with me.  Can you believe that?  Arguing with ME?  lol

On 6/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

This whole thing is cray cray. Who would pay anything let alone $15. to watch it? Such a money grab. Just sell off the collection and be happy with the incredible windfall.

Now Chuck walking into the Church basement and opening and cleaning out “the closet”…hm

Man, no kidding.     I'm not sure I'd watch it for free.   Certainly wouldn't pay to watch it.

On 4/7/2023 at 2:58 PM, sfcityduck said:

if we could all get personalized labels on our CGC books

:banana:

It looks like it may be heading that way...

On 6/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

This whole thing is cray cray. Who would pay anything let alone $15. to watch it? Such a money grab. Just sell off the collection and be happy with the incredible windfall.

Now Chuck walking into the Church basement and opening and cleaning out “the closet”…hm

Its such a turn-off isn't?   It almost feels insulting to be asked to pay to watch that.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Just wait till your kids market and sell off your collection as the Mr. Roboto pedigree to Heritage…:nyah:

B6CE928A-EC54-4EDF-96F0-49A8CF4AFEE7.gif.87337ec7d69e65d7cc968c3b450eb4fb.gif