• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Oh, I remember this collection coming out and ordering a nice copy of a late Wings with what is now recognized as a classic Lubbers GGA cover from Bill at the time.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Unfortunately for Bill, the More Fun collection came out at a time (probably around 1996) which was seen as the end of that short but big GA bubble that ran sky high from 1994 through to the early part of 1996.  Bill probably could have made a lot more money from the collection if it had come out a year or even a few months earlier.  :frown:

A book could be written about all the issues with that collection.  

On 4/4/2023 at 11:50 AM, buttock said:

This is what everyone said in the 1990s when the More Fun collection came out.  

That may be, but another 30 years makes it more true, not less.   As you would know, in 1990, original owners from say 1940 could be say 60 or 65 years old.      Now they'd be in their late 90s.    Most men don't live that long.   Most women didn't keep comics.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/4/2023 at 12:12 PM, Bronty said:

That may be, but another 30 years makes it more true, not less.   As you would know, in 1990, original owners from say 1940 could be say 60 or 65 years old.      Now they'd be in their late 90s.    Most men don't live that long.   Most women didn't keep comics.

30 years passing makes it more true that this is the leading edge of second generation collections?    

On 4/4/2023 at 10:31 AM, buttock said:
On 4/4/2023 at 10:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately for Bill, the More Fun collection came out at a time (probably around 1996) which was seen as the end of that short but big GA bubble that ran sky high from 1994 through to the early part of 1996.  Bill probably could have made a lot more money from the collection if it had come out a year or even a few months earlier.  :frown:

A book could be written about all the issues with that collection.  

Clearly being out of the loop back then, what were some of the major issues with this More Fun Collection because I certainly didn't have any issues with the copy of Wings which I got from Bill?  ???

Thought I might also have gotten my one and only Rangers book from this collection from Bill, but I guess not since I don't habe a picture of the certificate that came with the Wings.  :frown:

On 12/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, jmg3637 said:

While I  am interested in the Story, I see no reason for a Kickstarter.

This collection is worth well over 10,000,000  and the documentary  will greatly help the family promote and sell these assets.  The benefit of this is for the Family.

They, not the public  should be financing  this project  ( maybe give the documentarians  10 copies of each Star Wats 1  and Ghost rider 1

I totally agreed. They have plenty of money from the comic collection that can financially support the filming documentary.

I restarted collecting  in about 1985.

While I am closing in on retirement, HOPEFULLY I AM NOWHERE near dying.

Also  I tried to get my daughters interested in the hobby.  One of them enjoyed reading Archie  and Mad,  but neither of them are interested in the work it would require  to slowly sell off my collection

On 4/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, jmg3637 said:

I restarted collecting  in about 1985.

While I am closing in on retirement, HOPEFULLY I AM NOWHERE near dying.

Also  I tried to get my daughters interested in the hobby.  One of them enjoyed reading Archie  and Mad,  but neither of them are interested in the work it would require  to slowly sell off my collection

Sure, but that's the difference between 1985 and 1965.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, JollyComics said:
On 12/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, jmg3637 said:

While I  am interested in the Story, I see no reason for a Kickstarter.

This collection is worth well over 10,000,000  and the documentary  will greatly help the family promote and sell these assets.  The benefit of this is for the Family.

They, not the public  should be financing  this project  ( maybe give the documentarians  10 copies of each Star Wats 1  and Ghost rider 1

I totally agreed. They have plenty of money from the comic collection that can financially support the filming documentary.

(thumbsu

It seems like the sale of a few of the bigger books would secure the funding.   But the movie seems more important than the collection itself.   

I was actually  reading/collecting  from about 1965  through 1969.  Mostly  DC.

Gave it up for about 15 years  until Crisis drew  me back into reading.  and that quickly grew into buying collections  to "fill in"  the gaps.

Stopped reading and buying new issues  with the onset of the pandemic 

On 4/4/2023 at 5:10 PM, jmg3637 said:

I was actually  reading/collecting  from about 1965  through 1969.  Mostly  DC.

Gave it up for about 15 years  until Crisis drew  me back into reading.  and that quickly grew into buying collections  to "fill in"  the gaps.

Stopped reading and buying new issues  with the onset of the pandemic 

As a young kid, I mostly read Batman, Detective, the war titles and the occasional sci fi and horror titles. Mostly the ones that the covers sucked me into.

Then one day, I saw Spider-Man #3 at the drug store. I was pretty much hooked on Marvels from then on.

I kept buying new comics until the death of Superman, the Batman/Bane situation and finding out Peter Parker was a clone. Then came all the multiple covers and gimmicks. I just quit the current books and spent my money on vintage material. Heck, instead of buying 10 new gimmick books I could buy a cool PCH book. A wise decision. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:31 AM, Robot Man said:

My younger daughter will turn my collection into vintage muscle cars as fast as she gets the money. And, hey, I’m OK with that. Heck, I’ve been tempted myself…:devil:

I love it. I'm in the process of selling the bulk of my collection to restore my vintage muscle car.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

I love it. I'm in the process of selling the bulk of my collection to restore my vintage muscle car.

Nice! Something that will give you years of pleasure every day.

During Covid, I rebuilt and restored a ‘49 Indian Scout. I funded it by selling off a bunch of books that really ment nothing to me. I never dipped into my “core” collection at all. Very happy with my decision…

On 4/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice! Something that will give you years of pleasure every day.

During Covid, I rebuilt and restored a ‘49 Indian Scout. I funded it by selling off a bunch of books that really ment nothing to me. I never dipped into my “core” collection at all. Very happy with my decision…

Very cool, that's a rare bike. My car is in the resto shop now, the time and $$$$ are sure to add up!

On 4/6/2023 at 11:22 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

Very cool, that's a rare bike. My car is in the resto shop now, the time and $$$$ are sure to add up!

I did everything but chrome and paint myself. Really didn’t cost me THAT much. Of course meeting up in sketchy places with guys with lettering on their jackets was a little unnerving at times…

What are you restoring? (if it’s OK to ask). 

On 4/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

And when you're done you can sell your vintage muscle car to restore your comic collection. 

Just kidding. Whatta got? Camara? Mustang? Rambler Rebel?

On 4/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

A 1970 Camaro Z28, does my screen name make sense now? I've had the car for 37 years now while my comic collection was built between the late 60's to the early 90's I hope that its OK to post a pic of it here-

20190316_125933.jpg

Split bumper Camaro... :cloud9:

On 4/6/2023 at 2:59 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

I hope that its OK to post a pic of it here-

It's completely inappropriate to drive us green with envy. rantrant