• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Are Given a Captain America 1
9 9

92 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Since you ARE asking for opinions, I'd message some of the photos to Matt Nelson tonight and try to reach him via message or phone tomorrow. He should be able to let you know your options as far as cleaning and pressing and what CGC would grade the book. I'm not certain, but since it has both original covers and several pages, I think it could still grade a blue .5, in which case, it'd CERTAINLY be worth doing! Even if you hope to find a coverless someday (it's not likely you'll have the luck of someone GIVING that to you, it'll likely be VERY expensive), you'll still have this safely certified and be able to enjoy it. In the event you DO acquire a coverless someday, you'd likely want to send it to CCS to have it professionally married to achieve the best result, but again, expect a coverless Cap #1 to be a LOT of money, IF you can even find one. With what you presently have, cleaned and pressed and graded a Universal .5 is very likely the best to hope for. It'll look great in that holder too!!!  (thumbsu My 2c

exactly my thoughts as reading thru the thread, but before posting an answer myself ....

On 2/13/2023 at 8:43 AM, Frisco Larson said:

That's why I encouraged him to contact someone who could answer that question for him. We can speculate all day and get nowhere. Going to the source and getting the answer clears it right up. I HAVE seen a book graded Universal .5 that was missing the front cover and several interior pages, but it did have most of the back cover. I think it may have been a Tec 27 but I'm not sure and haven't been able to find a pic of it. If the CGC verdict on this particular copy is Universal .5, I'd go that route. If it's CVR in the numerical box, I'd have the covers pressed and certified. If this person just wants to broom these pieces, I would also certify each of the pages. If they intend to complete the book with pages from other copies, I'd keep them raw in case they were needed for completion. Just my 2c.

I've seen front and back with lots of missing pages inside get 0.5 , just don't know what the cut-off is ...............

On 2/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

Guys, I used to laugh at PG books, and Incomplete books, but I suddenly have a responsibility I am not prepared for.  Please, help the future of this sad but historic piece of our past.  I need guidance, honestly.  I’m not going to pretend to be King of the Hill.  I love comics but this is beyond experience.  Please, if one of the really experienced admins or someone with a solid past with this type of book.  Check my stats, I’m not brand new, and I participate, but not in this sandbox. .  Any practical advice will be greatly appreciated.  I’m talking storage, condition issues (it pleasantly smells of maple syrup, which is what seems to have spilled on it), should they be split, submitted,  etc.  

Thanks in advance.  

jimi

32054BF2-2BFC-4BDE-A693-47B6401CCCE7.jpeg

8AAF5157-7434-445F-A944-6AD59DD93A9F.jpeg

8658744E-C326-4EA9-864E-E1C56EBF8971.jpeg

EBFB95E6-4895-4F1B-BDC1-FE1E5F42E213.jpeg

A819315B-5A3F-4D98-B0F0-1529C2106DDC.jpeg

9E7EBDA6-F2FA-439C-ABB3-5777D34F9D70.jpeg

28877D1C-A50A-4E2C-AEC1-726794400BEC.jpeg

1A2F3AA1-F8FB-419F-95F3-1CCC81F16ECF.jpeg

BF0FDE9F-1E12-43A2-8B7C-BD2DDFF8EF65.jpeg

6A3C8AF8-3F78-4C45-9CE0-DD578E751E2F.jpeg

878FD6C1-9681-4C02-9CCA-A1C033317E25.jpeg

77082146-6221-4682-A46D-8087D69E5345.jpeg

07EE0D8F-795F-4BC1-AB30-D1070A23A756.jpeg

I think I know what you mean.  Me...every so often I just post what I'm thinking...let it all hang out.

I don't like saying my business too often for some reason...but why not...I bought Whitney Houston's current valid passport after she died for $15K.

In the future, I think current valid passports & driver's licenses will be the Church Copy First Appearances of celebrities.

My advice is to keep your eyes open, trust your own judgement, and try to predict what will be the next things to skyrocket in value in the future.  There are many opportunities.

In the Comics General forum there is a thread about fake CGC books being sold in the Spokane, WA area. It links to a FB post from a dealer who got scammed. In part 3 of the posts, he mentions that in addition to the fake slabs, there was a fake Cap 1 cover. It's the same one as the one in this post right? (missing top right corner, stain patterns, and writing on cover) I guess this story was too good to be true (:

No photo description available.

Quote from the post: "Here we have a completely fake Amazing Spider-Man number one cgc 6.0 as well as a cover to Captain America number one also completely counterfeit. I think this cover goes to the comic that I purchased. They were both too small to be golden age books.
The guy that purchased these met with the scammer Ryan in Missoula I believe. 
Please be very careful when purchasing either slabbed books or Golden age books that are raw. There are rumors he has been trying to pass off ungraded Golden age Action Comics as far back as a year ago. And as realistic as this coverless Captain America was, I would likely be fooled again."

Looking back at those page 1 pics from this thread.. the interior pages do look off (knowing what we know now).  The cover completely fooled me, I thought that was real (only thing that seemed off was the white line along the top cover edge, which no other Cap 1 seems to have).  The interior pages look not wide enough and somewhat glossy/pixelated, looking back at them now.. but I thought that was just from being trimmed and maybe an effect from the book being badly water damaged in the past.  

On 2/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, manetteska said:

I’m confused. So a guy selling fake high dollar comics hid a fake Cap 1 cover in a lot of comics? Assuming since it was found “between pages” the price was low and therefore not a good scammer?

Yeah, that is the part of the story I wanted more detail about because this was supposedly a freebie....