• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2023 at 7:22 AM, Larryw7 said:

I remember the founders of CGC telling us they were leading collectors out of the "wild west" of the pre slabbing era. How has that been working for y'all?

High value collectibles and slabs in every area of collectibles are counterfeited. Yet the authentication/grading companies make it a lot more difficult and raise the barrier of entry to scammers.

Are you saying less fraud would be occurring in their absence?

On 2/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, Northwest said:

A few options:

1. Lookup graders notes and compare to book description

2. Look closely at the ink on the book. To be safe use magnification.

3. In this case (pun intended), the overall weight would also be a tell.

4.  There are security measures beyond the font e.g. hologram and others.  Verify those are legit.

5. Buy from venues and sellers you trust especially for high value items. Use buyer protection online. Craigslist is a magnet for unrepeatable listings.

Good advice.  

On 2/20/2023 at 4:56 AM, VintageComics said:

You can bet your butt CGC / Blackstone are looking for a solution to this.

The only reason CGC is in business is because they build trust into the product. If you eliminate the trust you no longer have a product.

There's no way they're going to let a $500 Million + company slide into obsolescence because of some criminals. 

Unfortunately, I think we're rapidly approaching that point, if the ship hasn't already sailed.  Due to all the ridiculously bad, amateurish quality control issues I've been seeing, I have no desire to gamble on trusting them with any of my books, and I am clearly not the only one.

Best solution to this is to supply watermarked photos of every slabbed book in the census. I know it's only useful to books going forward, but it would make it harder to counterfeit.

Too bad they didn't do this earlier when they still had time to prepare for this problem instead of trying to monetize it.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:11 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I would think if you are paying 50k for a book, or anything similar $ wise you'd take the time to ensure what you are buying is not a fake

if you are concerned about fakes, better to pay more from a trusted and established seller (of which there are a ton of)

I cannot tell you the # of times I've seen an amazing fantasy 15 (or similar) listed on CL, FB that the price seems to good to be true

I never made an attempt to contact because it was more a gamble that a "miracle buy"

the CGC label and case should not be a reason for people for them not to do their homework

not trying to be harsh, but people do your due diligence when making substantial purchases

The thing about this is that those scams were there to try to get you to send cash before getting the book, hoping to catch someone with a heavy case of FOMO.  Here, you're getting a tangible (fake!) item in hand.  This is something we haven't really seen before in our arena.  

I think there's gonna have to be a new kind of way to identify books...an RF chip embedded with each book in the the case might work.  Like pets!

On 2/20/2023 at 8:38 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Certainly there are subtle differences in the font and kerning. And at least one other thing I noticed. 

It's easy to spot when you have a side-by-side. Not so much if you don't.

And that's where I'm at.  Side by side if I look carefully at both cases and compare I can see a difference but it isn't really obvious to me and I doubt I could spot it without the side by side comparison.  And what do we do when these crooks refine their 'product' and we can't see a difference?

On 2/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, thehumantorch said:

And that's where I'm at.  Side by side if I look carefully at both cases and compare I can see a difference but it isn't really obvious to me and I doubt I could spot it without the side by side comparison.  And what do we do when these crooks refine their 'product' and we can't see a difference?

Or they just buy legit slabs, crack the books out & use the real labels/cases for their fakes.   Resub the actual books .  Rinse and repeat 

On 2/20/2023 at 1:24 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or they just buy legit slabs, crack the books out & use the real labels/cases for their fakes.   Resub the actual books .  Rinse and repeat 

I've often wondered if that's the case with some of the really awful-looking 9.6s and 9.8s I've seen for sale over the years...  (Yes, I know, "Buy the book, not the label...")