• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is out of his mind
4 4

155 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 2:29 PM, Hot Nickels said:

The pricing for his upcoming signing is insane. Chiseled Signature $210? GTFO. If people want to pay him that much to sign books good for him and good for them, my worry is that vastly more talented and more important artists will Jack up their prices after this. Liefeld is charging more for a sig than McFarlane, and his sketch is being offered for almost $200 more than Jim Lee, and Frankly I’d rather have a left handed Jim Lee sketch in crayon than anything Liefeld has ever created. I fear Lee’s sketch price is going to be a lot higher the next time he does a CGC event and I really want one  😢 

Think the prices have already risen significantly but the real insanity is we dweebs keep paying them. It's their right to charge whatever they want. If demand drops maybe they will adjust or they may not care. Think Jim Lee's sletch prices are so high that any higher won't make a whit of difference.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, Ryan. said:

He will sell this signing out. He will raise his prices again for the next signing and sell that one out too.

Who is truly out of their minds here?

Yup - these artists and celebrities charging hundreds for a 2 second scrawl are completely sane.  It's the people that pay their prices who are out of their minds.

yup yup the vast majority of people who get sigs from anybody is to flip them right away or down the road.

why shouldnt the artist,  actor, actress, ballplayer, etc. get a piece too?

maybe they should give their sigs out on a consignment percentage basis

I think the price for the signature alone is a bit high. That said I will be sending in copies of Youngblood 1 and 2.  His other prices seem to be in line with what they have been selling for on his Whatnot shows. Do not too big of a surprise for me. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:18 AM, revat said:

He’s been steadily raising his prices for years, and he’s been satisfied with the results, by whatever metrics matter to him.  And the market seems to have gone along with him.
so it’s hard to say he’s so illogical.  Whether it’s good for collectors is another thing.  But that’s not really his problem.  At least he’s pretty straightforward about it.  

I agree. The last that I saw was last years NYCC. He would charge different amounts depending on the book that he signed (NM90 vs. NM98). Also he would make a remark of a Deadpool head. I look at it as it is your money to spend. If you want to pay for it, then go ahead and if not then your money goes elsewhere.

Coincidentally, I also noticed the shockingly high prices for that signing earlier today. What I find especially curious in this case is vintage 90s Rob Liefeld signatures are pretty easy to obtain dirt cheap if you're a fan who just wants a signature. I've still got a signed X-Force #1 that I think came from Walmart if I remember correctly. I can understand popular people who don't sign much being able to charge pretty much anything they want and the market paying it, but it's crazy to me people would pay such high prices for what I'd consider a pretty "common" signature.