• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2023 at 11:55 AM, Yorick said:

Practice?  Need to start somewhere....

He said he was going to send it in. It did not make sense before he did the work to it, and if CGC can detect the blue light treatment he will get a PLOD as well. 😂

On 4/16/2023 at 3:05 PM, Hey Pal! said:

This is from his website. Is he saying not to use backing boards? And it's obvious he thinks Fullbacks is a generic term and are just regular boards that are thicker :facepalm:

"Note: Some people recommend “full backs” backing boards. I never use them, as I find regular bags stored correctly are sufficient. However, if you have exceptionally valuable or fragile books, they are a good option. You can also just double-board your more valuable books."

hm

I understand some of the questions but attacking people for bringing up the question is petty. I amongst many others do my own cleaning and pressing and I am concerned that cleaning books will bring a PLOD for using a water bath and dry eraser. These are very basic techniques and yes some of these are getting flagged as "RESTORED". CGC is basing alot of this on assumptions because if you look at a cover and see it cleaned and tidy then open up the book and see tanned pages well you are going to assume it was cleaned. I reallty dont want to argue with anyone. It seems thats all people do now adays is find something to argue about no matter what. I like to think these forums and others like this are here to help/educate/uplift people. I see too many people happy or upset that someone else is able to do something they cant or wont and then attack. I did ask for opinions and I thank each and everyone who participates in this all be it negative or positive. I will gladly debate anyone with decoram and kindness anyday about what RESTORATION vs CLEANING means. Hopefully we can all learn something from this as we go. And for those who asked about evidence or proof the one video poseted is just the tip of the iceberg. Hang tight I will post a few more here so you can see some of the seeds of chaos this is sewing. Hobby Hero/ Immaculate Comics is a really amazing person who is always on the cutting edge of responsible cleaning https://www.youtube.com/@ImmaculateComics. I can keep going but start with these and I will answer questions as I go.

no this wont affect cgc's submissions. every tom mr smith jones and harry is sending in every book they buy on wednesday in hopes it hits some speculative lottery. 

also, a lot, not ALOT. 

Edited by NWOslave

On 4/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, NWOslave said:

no this wont affect cgc's submissions. every tom mr smith jones and harry is sending in every book they buy on wednesday in hopes it hits some speculative lottery. 

also, a lot, not ALOT. 

So nothing to add other than insulting a minor grammar oopsie? You need friends.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, MrPcfixer said:

I understand some of the questions but attacking people for bringing up the question is petty. I amongst many others do my own cleaning and pressing and I am concerned that cleaning books will bring a PLOD for using a water bath and dry eraser. 

Do you soak the whole book or just the cover?

On 4/16/2023 at 3:28 PM, MrPcfixer said:

So nothing to add other than insulting a minor grammar oopsie? You need friends.

correcting someone is not an insult. I also provided an opinion based on your post. cgc will be fine as long as speculators are falling for spider-boy 7's all day long. And, I have friends, aquiantences and family thank you.

The youtuber responded to my request for the certification numbers for the purple label books. He gave me all 7 cert #'s so I dont know which is which. 

He aslo had this to say:

I got them from multiple sources on e-bay, and 3 of them had a story behind them. One was from a collection passed down to a son. Two were from an elderly gentleman who bought them in the 60's and had them in his collection untouched since the 70's. They had obviously never been cleaned or pressed. Out of the 7 books, they had very little soiling but all but one had some staining. I only dry cleaned with an eraser and absorene, but in a limited way. There is still some soiling that I thought were in fragile areas so I left them alone. The notes will confirm that there is staining and thus no chemicals or whitening used.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, Hey Pal! said:

Also Universal.

Not all books in that submission he made the video about got a purple label. He gave me all seven numbers with out specifying which was which. He did make the claim that the grader of this submission flagged one book and consequently flagged others by association. So it's interesting to see all seven in that regard. 

Edited by arDeaton

On 4/16/2023 at 9:03 PM, joeypost said:

Remember that at one point in time Jason Ewert had many following him and his uncanny ability to consistently get Uber high grades on his books. He was king of the hill for a little while, until it all unraveled around him. 

There always seem to be those people who like a rigged game...