• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of GA dealers online...
14 14

528 posts in this topic

Tomorrows Treasures sells GA books.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Johnny

I bought books from him as "no restoration" and "no conservation" and recieved PLOD's from CGC...[cry]

Did you contact him about it?

Johnny

I bought books from him as "no restoration" and "no conservation" and recieved PLOD's from CGC...[cry]

They were purchases made long ago (well over a year), but not submitted until recently. I didn't try to contact him. Too much time had passed. I will say that I have had other previous purchases that did do well at CGC.

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]Interesting. Four responses to your query and four different opinions about Tomorrows Treasures. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. hm

What the heck, I'll add a fifth. (shrug)

I think that he's basically an honest dealer who is stubbornly old school. He clearly hates third party grading and says as much in every ebay listing. The fact that he defines restoration differently than everyone else makes his listings appear disingenuous, but he has a solid reputation otherwise.

His rationale for disliking "slabbing" and third-party grading seems sensible on the surface, but it's clearly self-serving since he's the grader of record and also determines pricing.

Alas, every time I read one of his listings I come away with the mental image of a cigar-chewing used car dealer saying "Sonny, you don't need additional inspection before buying one of my cars, it's a waste of money."

That said, I've purchased books from him on rare occasion without incident. However, you must read his listings carefully and assure yourself that what he discloses as "unrestored conservation" won't end up being labeled restoration if you're thinking about submitting his raw book(s) later on to CGC for grading and encapsulation.[/font] 2c

Johnny

They were purchases made long ago (well over a year), but not submitted until recently. I didn't try to contact him. Too much time had passed. I will say that I have had other previous purchases that did do well at CGC.

[font:Times New Roman]You should still contact him and ask about making it right given the variance of value between blue and purple. Leaving the admonition out there only makes him appear untrustworthy.

The fact that time passed between when you purchased books from him and submitted them for encapsulation doesn't alter the fact that he guaranteed the books to be unrestored.

I'm sure that everyone here would like to see this resolved to your satisfaction.[/font] :popcorn:

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]Interesting. Four responses to your query and four different opinions about Tomorrows Treasures. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. hm

What the heck, I'll add a fifth. (shrug)

I think that he's basically an honest dealer who is stubbornly old school. He clearly hates third party grading and says as much in every ebay listing. The fact that he defines restoration differently than everyone else makes his listings appear disingenuous, but he has a solid reputation otherwise.

His rationale for disliking "slabbing" and third-party grading seems sensible on the surface, but it's clearly self-serving since he's the grader of record and also determines pricing.

Alas, every time I read one of his listings I come away with the mental image of a cigar-chewing used car dealer saying "Sonny, you don't need additional inspection before buying one of my cars, it's a waste of money."

That said, I've purchased books from him on rare occasion without incident. However, you must read his listings carefully and assure yourself that what he discloses as "unrestored conservation" won't end up being labeled restoration if you're thinking about submitting his raw book(s) later on to CGC for grading and encapsulation.[/font] 2c

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]You should still contact him and ask about making it right given the variance of value between blue and purple. Leaving the admonition out there only makes him appear untrustworthy.

The fact that time passed between when you purchased books from him and submitted them for encapsulation doesn't alter the fact that he guaranteed the books to be unrestored.

I'm sure that everyone here would like to see this resolved to your satisfaction.[/font] :popcorn:

I have bought a few from here recently, two I knew had archival tear seals, dont plan on slabbing them because I dont want a purple label (just loved the books).

Several others were described as having no Restoration/conservation of any kind - they are off to be slabbed - wish me luck.

He has been very responsive to e-mails and inquiries and has been willing to negotiate...more so than those on comiconnect/Clink based on my experience.

Anyway, thanks for the input and responses.

Johnny

I have bought a few from here recently, two I knew had archival tear seals, dont plan on slabbing them because I dont want a purple label (just loved the books).

Several others were described as having no Restoration/conservation of any kind - they are off to be slabbed - wish me luck.

He has been very responsive to e-mails and inquiries and has been willing to negotiate...more so than those on comiconnect/Clink based on my experience.

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]Keep us apprised of the results; hopefully we'll hear something more from vaultkeeper as well! :wishluck:

[/font]

Johnny

Richie Muchin - he has some nice stuff, but his asking prices look to be about 2X fair market value. Judging by his scans, I'd say his grades are generally about 1 grade high - e.g., if he says a book is a 9.0, it's probably an 8.5 by CGC standards. If you make him an offer, do it through his site, not E-Bay - maybe he'll be more apt to negotiate if he doesn't have to pay E-Bay fees.

It was wrong for me to post anything negative about Tomorrow’s Treasures. I’ve gotten some great books from him in the past. The books mentioned previously looked good when I received them and they probably looked good to Richie too. Without giving him the opportunity to correct the problem, it was unfair to bring it up. I would just say to look over your purchases and make sure it’s what you expected. If there is a problem, contact him, and I’m sure he’ll correct the problem. My apologies to Richie and Tomorrows Treasures. [sorry]

Richie is old schooled has some great books and can find you those oddball ones you hunt after.He's just a little different as all of us are in someways but never had a problem and if there is i'm sure he will do his best to correct it.Used to have many Centaurs in his stock years ago but not with that in the market place today the river has dried up on those!

Johnny

Read the description of the book carefully. He discloses tear seals and other repairs but doesn't always label a book as "restored" that most other dealers (and collectors) would call restored. An important issue because he sells mostly raw books.

He doesn't like to bargain but will always accept returns with no hassle.

He always bargains with me and I usually get very nice deals

I've bought some books from Muchin in the past and have been generally satisfied. I would however prefer not to be lectured for 15 minutes when asking a simple question. He does have some nice inventory.

His pricing is too high, so be ready to go into the trenches and negotiate.

Edited by sacentaur

Based on recommendations from around here, I bought a book from him. Graded 6.0 - clearly closer to 4.0

In fairness, he took it back without a quibble, refunded postage (in both directions) and relisted it at 4.5 on his site. Still seemed like a bit of a waste of time though.

Edit: referring to Tomorrow's Treasures

Edited by AJD

Based on recommendations from around here, I bought a book from him. Graded 6.0 - clearly closer to 4.0

In fairness, he took it back without a quibble, refunded postage (in both directions) and relisted it at 4.5 on his site. Still seemed like a bit of a waste of time though.

Refunding shipping both ways plus refunding the book, is top class.

Unfortunately, grading a 4.0/4.5 as a 6.0 is the sour part. Hopefully, it was a rare case of him missing something.

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]Keep us apprised of the results; hopefully we'll hear something more from vaultkeeper as well! :wishluck:

[/font]

Results are in - all the books came back with blue labels so when he said no restoration he was right.

The grading is a different story, but since I basically agreed with the grading I can't complain. I think I was victimized by the death knell that is tanning as I believe the books otherwise would have graded where I believed they would.

The impact of tanning on grade is not something that seems to be consistent - to me it is more of an intangible than a rip, tear or crease and lately it has been my achilles heel in assessing a raw books grade.

All and all no complaints about Tomorrows Treasures and I am either subconsciously endorsing or just a glutton for more CGC tanning punishment because I just bought another book from them that may get the same treatment - we shall see...

Johnny

Edited by Johnny545

It was wrong for me to post anything negative about Tomorrow’s Treasures. I’ve gotten some great books from him in the past. The books mentioned previously looked good when I received them and they probably looked good to Richie too. Without giving him the opportunity to correct the problem, it was unfair to bring it up. I would just say to look over your purchases and make sure it’s what you expected. If there is a problem, contact him, and I’m sure he’ll correct the problem. My apologies to Richie and Tomorrows Treasures. [sorry]

2j420w2.jpg