• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBA galleries auctioneers new collection 40000+ Every DC
9 9

328 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, MrBedrock said:

I don't know about rarest, but "most seldom seen" would include the books in your collection.

Dang

Fact check says TRUE THAT - especially if you change it to never ever never seen

cmon Mitch, post some drek, we promise we won't go after your wants or burgle your home

On 6/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mmehdy said:

Double Action #2....????? 

Possibly.  Another one of the rarest DCs is the Big Book of Fun Comics, a copy of which just happens to be available in the upcoming HA auction:

Big Book of Fun Comics #1 (DC, 1936) Condition: FN+.... Platinum | Lot #92029 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 6/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, october said:

Definitely one of the rarest and coolest comics ever made. Any collector without one should hide their face in shame until their sad, sad lack of ownership is remedied posthaste. Luckily for all of you, this is the first time in 10+ years you can crush those deep seated feelings of inadequacy with an iron fist by purchasing this grail. Pay whatever it takes, the respect of your wives, girlfriends, children, etc. likely depends on it. **

** Disclaimer: these are my completely unbiased opinions. It has nothing to do with the fact that I consigned this book. Promise. 

hm 

On 6/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, thehumantorch said:

hm 

How much for the faux Double Action 1 that Ian made from b/w photocopies of early More Fun pages? Harley was given a copy to spread the legend of the unattainable unicorn ... at that time pre-Comic Connect auction of legit Double Action 1.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, Mmehdy said:

what would the 3 rarest GA books would be?...any opinions

The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck!

:sumo:

Spoiler

:roflmao:

But for a list pulled from an archived thread.

1) Double Action Comics

(2) New Adventure Comics #13

(3) Famous Funnies (nn)(Feb 1934)

(4) Feature Books (nn)(1937)(reprinted as #3 with new cover)

(5) 5 Cent Comics (Feb 1940)(Fawcett Publications)

(6) Flash Comics (Dec 1939)(cover reprint/Adventure Comics)

(7) Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

(8) Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

On 6/1/2023 at 9:06 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck!

:sumo:

Hide contents

:roflmao:

But for a list pulled from an archived thread.

1) Double Action Comics

(2) New Adventure Comics #13

(3) Famous Funnies (nn)(Feb 1934)

(4) Feature Books (nn)(1937)(reprinted as #3 with new cover)

(5) 5 Cent Comics (Feb 1940)(Fawcett Publications)

(6) Flash Comics (Dec 1939)(cover reprint/Adventure Comics)

(7) Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

(8) Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

Getting rid of ashcans because they are legal creations or, at best, production artifacts not intended to be actual comic books, I would be going with three out of the below:

* the destroyed red seal comics (violated paper rations) which haven’t emerged yet (the same sort of Bigfoot as Double Action 1) but I bet exists somewhere;

• the Nightingale (maybe 7 copies exist but is it a comic or a disguised children’s book?);

* Four Immigrants Manga (but is it GA when pre-1938, and  it is a graphic novel if that does not count);

* The new Adventure 26 (but also pre-1938 and it is DC - is it rare or rare to market?) or

* some rarely seen giveaway or genre comic from the 1950s like True Life Secrets 25.

I do not think it would be a book that is heavily collected,  Those might be rare to the market but is not the same as rare.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 6/2/2023 at 3:37 AM, aardvark88 said:

How much for the faux Double Action 1 that Ian made from b/w photocopies of early More Fun pages?

If he manages to sell it for a lot, that'll be great because I've got a zillion copies ready to go!

On 6/2/2023 at 10:15 PM, IngelsFan said:

Since there are a handful of us going after the Double Action 2, anyone want to get the jump on a prediction of what the final hammer will be?

Overstreet buying guide states Double Action #2 vg is about $8k plus there is supposed to be a recession in the USA and Canada this summer 2023.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:27 PM, tth2 said:

I had the same question, as well as why did he initially with Sotheby's, who might be a big name but not when it comes to comics.

Then I realized that Levine has probably burned bridges with everyone in our hobby.

I'm not as close to the story as others, but I thought I read Ian sold the collection some time ago in some type of strange arrangement to a friend. 

Regardless, weird venue for such an extraordinary collection to be sold and there must be a reason for it. 

On 6/3/2023 at 7:39 PM, KCOComics said:

Regardless, weird venue for such an extraordinary collection to be sold and there must be a reason for it. 

PBA has been selling some cool comics for the past few years.  They also do art and books.  Sadly, the two items I think I regret the most not noticing until after an auction occurred  were sold by PBA - one a comic item and the other fine art for which I would have paid a lot more than the hammer price.  I wish they’d been a bit more high visibility back then so I would have noticed.

So kidos to Ivan for getting the word out early on this development and congrats to him for landing a consignment that is going to catapult PBA upward in the auction ranks.  I don’t think anyone is going to miss that these auctions are happening.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:10 PM, sagii said:

Shared this in the You Tube Thread, belongs here as well

They’re eight copies on the cgc census alone.  Undoubtedly there are other raw copies than just DA’s.  But even if not, 9 copies is more copies than several comics I can think of.  It is very rare to the market, but there are comics which have fewer copies on census and I have seen only come up for sale once or never by a dealer or auction.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 6/4/2023 at 11:28 AM, sfcityduck said:

They’re eight copies on the cgc census alone.  Undoubtedly there are other raw copies than just DA’s.  But even if not, 9 copies is more copies than several comics I can think of.  It is very rare to the market, but there are comics which have fewer copies on census and I have seen only come up for sale once or never by a dealer or auction.

Kind of had an idea that was the case, but wanted a boards concensus if this was the case , either way, I'm fascinated with this book now.

Maybe @RareHighGrade has a copy?

On 6/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, sagii said:

Kind of had an idea that was the case, but wanted a boards concensus if this was the case , either way, I'm fascinated with this book now.

I recall  in 2016/7  that a 9.4 unrestored CGC copy along with issue 1 of double action comics sold for $80,000 at CC...in that positing it was remarked that the #1 with a black and white cover was even rarer than the number 2...either way it is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get one...with pedigree.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:02 AM, sagii said:

Pretty sure he has THE copy. One of the few with "Church" written on the cover too.